What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Schuey backs woman for F1

DIEHARD

----
From correspondents in Montreal
June 10, 2005
0,5001,5016034,00.jpg

WORLD champion Michael Schumacher wants Indianapolis 500 success story Danica Patrick to be given here chance in Formula One.

American Patrick has been thrown into the limelight after finishing fourth in the classic United States Indy Car race two weeks ago, the highest a woman has finished in its history.

And Schumacher said: "I would love to have her here to race with us. I don't know (if she could compete), there have been guys who have been able to do so and others who have not, but it would be interesting to find out."

The introduction of a female driver would be a big interest to Formula One, which is trying to draw back fans after seeing its popularity drop due to recent years of Schumacher and Ferrari domination.

Patrick, 23, finished second behind Anthony Davidson, who is now the test and reserve driver for BAR-Honda, in the Formula Ford Festival in 2000 and then moved to America after missing out on a test with the Benetton team. But Briton Jenson Button believes her impressive recent results have been boosted by the way Indy Car racing is run, and believes the female racer will never make it into F1.

"It is really difficult to know how good someone is in that category because the driver's weight doesn't matter," said Button. "If you are 20kg lighter than another guy, you should be quicker."

Agence France-Presse

DIEHARD

----
I honestly believe women can compete in Formula 1, I hope we see it happen sooner than later.

They face and up hill battle with less opportunities and discrimination and they may be phyically weaker than males and might not handle the stresses of driving as well.

But I have no doubt there would be some specials that could break through.

But who would take the risk? There is a lot of money at stake and little room for experimentation.

Maybe Minardi but that wont prove anything because anyone driving a lesser car wont be competitive.

Stevo_G

Juniors
she's all hype, racing in a sh*t series

but would be good to see women into f1 just not her
she hasn't done anything , hasn't won a race in the crap series the irl, and didn't win any races while racing in the champ car feeder series toyota atlantic series

budz

Juniors
Id like to see a chick in F1 too. That would give someone for all female fans to go for in a battle of the sexes.