What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Season 2010 in review.

Kilkenny

Coach
Second on the competition ladder after the 26 rounds of home and away only to lose both semi finals and go out the back door.

The end to our season was cruel in terms of injuries and suspension (Petero) and I have no doubt at full strength things could have been so different.

While the Roosters have arguably the best halves combination in the NRL I still truly believe at full strength our forward pack could have more than matched the Roosters and we could have been around in the first weekend of October.

Alas it was not to be and we have had our mad monday and the Roosters will be in the GF.

All things considered we had a terrific season. While the finish was disappointing you cannot account for our back luck with injuries to key players in back to back semi finals. To lose six top class players is something no side could have overcome.

If there is a downside to our successful season it is surely the fact we will not go into 2011 with an improved playing roster. The loss of Pritchard, Graham, Cooper and others without the signing of adequate replacements will be a significant hurdle I fear to difficult to overcome.

Despite the spin from PI the fact is we do not have the quality in the halves to be truly a side to compete for the NRL flag.

The loss of Pritchard only adds to our woes and he is irreplacable.

Yes we do have some top line performers, but sadly in the 1,6.7 & 9 we simply don't have the class or quality to win a competition.

Another premiership will remain quite a few years off in my opinion.

Fibroman

First Grade
Second on the competition ladder after the 26 rounds of home and away only to lose both semi finals and go out the back door.

The end to our season was cruel in terms of injuries and suspension (Petero) and I have no doubt at full strength things could have been so different.

While the Roosters have arguably the best halves combination in the NRL I still truly believe at full strength our forward pack could have more than matched the Roosters and we could have been around in the first weekend of October.

Alas it was not to be and we have had our mad monday and the Roosters will be in the GF.

All things considered we had a terrific season. While the finish was disappointing you cannot account for our back luck with injuries to key players in back to back semi finals. To lose six top class players is something no side could have overcome.

If there is a downside to our successful season it is surely the fact we will not go into 2011 with an improved playing roster. The loss of Pritchard, Graham, Cooper and others without the signing of adequate replacements will be a significant hurdle I fear to difficult to overcome.

Despite the spin from PI the fact is we do not have the quality in the halves to be truly a side to compete for the NRL flag.

Yes we do have some top line performers, but sadly in the 1,6.7 & 9 we simply don't have the class or quality to win a competition.

Another premiership will remain quite a few years off in my opinion.

1. and 9. safe. 6 and 7, struggle.

ashton

Juniors

Another premiership will remain quite a few years off in my opinion.[/QUOTE]

Yes I agree.

franklin2323

Immortal
1. and 9. safe. 6 and 7, struggle.

7 Doesn't struggle in all aspects just certain areas mainly defence. He is far better then 12 months ago and look at the fact he has playeed only 50 odd games. 6 is a big weakness he is the link to the outside backs yet we can't get it out there more then 2 times per game.

Fix the 5/8 and we get more then 2 linebreaks a game either with him passing or running the ball then spreading it abit of hope Taumata can fix this.

We need to use Coote more he throws a decent pass prob has the longest boot in the club. Just keep him at the back and come in to the line occasionally

I thought our preparation for big games improved this season. However it is hard to judge as injuries had a big part in our finish to our season.

With our inept management a premiership is no where on the horizon. We struggle to keep key players with no replacements insight. Expect fringe 1st graders to bring the trophy home

Fibroman

First Grade
I know it is very easy to blame the coach when it comes to the performances of the players on the field, but in Penrith's case, it's hard not to blame Elliott for another disappointing finish to the season.

Without mentioning names, he left a certain player in FG for the whole season in a key position and this cost us dearly. He seems to have an infatuation with ex-Canberra players, and I think sometimes he might have the blinkers on abit when it comes to recruiting talent.

Aside from Petero we haven't signed a marquee player since he's been at the club. All our stars have come from within the junior ranks. I think sometimes you need to realise that although we have a great junior base, there are always going to be better players playing at other clubs, and even playing in England that we should be targeting.

One only needs to look at the impact players like Gareth Ellis and Sam Burgess have made in the NRL since their arrival. I'd have either one of those player in front of Frank Pritchard anyday.

Surely there is a half back of 5/8th running around in England that would be interested in playing at Penrith if the right money was offered, and if we stopped paying overs for 2nd tier players all the time, we would have the money to entice a marquee player. I'm sure we could be a little bit more inventive in terms of 3rd party sponsorship too if we thought about it. There is plenty of money in Penrith.

Kilkenny

Coach
I know it is very easy to blame the coach when it comes to the performances of the players on the field, but in Penrith's case, it's hard not to blame Elliott for another disappointing finish to the season.

Without mentioning names, he left a certain player in FG for the whole season in a key position and this cost us dearly. He seems to have an infatuation with ex-Canberra players, and I think sometimes he might have the blinkers on abit when it comes to recruiting talent.

Aside from Petero we haven't signed a marquee player since he's been at the club. All our stars have come from within the junior ranks. I think sometimes you need to realise that although we have a great junior base, there are always going to be better players playing at other clubs, and even playing in England that we should be targeting.

One only needs to look at the impact players like Gareth Ellis and Sam Burgess have made in the NRL since their arrival. I'd have either one of those player in front of Frank Pritchard anyday.

Surely there is a half back of 5/8th running around in England that would be interested in playing at Penrith if the right money was offered, and if we stopped paying overs for 2nd tier players all the time, we would have the money to entice a marquee player. I'm sure we could be a little bit more inventive in terms of 3rd party sponsorship too if we thought about it. There is plenty of money in Penrith.

ME cannot be blamed for the 'cruel' bad luck with ruined our semi final series.

No side could have overcome the injuries and suspensions we endured.

To lose to the Raiders by a few points was disappointing after fighting our way back into the contest and the game against the Roosters was always going to be a huge assignment ever before Jennings, Lewis and Cooper were injured.

Retention and recruitment remains a huge issue for our club and one which we just don't seem to get right regardless of the 'spin'.

Heaven help us if we are resorting to recruiting players from the playing ranks of the Jim Beam Cup. If that's where we are at then frankly we are next to no chance of making the eight in 2011.

Seriously, we needed to bolster our depth and quality in key positions before losing Pritchard, Graham and others so having lost those mentioned with no quality replacements and no quality left we are in some trouble.

Kilkenny

Coach
The total lack of news on new signings is a major concern.

I am sure we have all waited with baited breath, but alas, nothing.

Again most of our rivals have been highly active in announcing new signings some high profile others talented youngsters from the NYC.

Seriously, can our club complain about memberships/season tickets when there is so little to truly encourage those fringe supporters to part with there hard earned and purchase memberships.

I just do not understand our recruitment strategies or lack thereof.

Clearly we needed to bring in two outside backs, another half/five eighth and two back rowers. I wouldn't mind if they were all from the NYC as long as they were kids with potential to make the step up but alas another season goes by with very little activity in the player recruitment front.

I don't know whether it is lack of money, lack of ambition or incompetence. Who knows, but at the end of the day some of our rivals will start 2011 with vastly improved squads and we have not added value to what we already had in 2010 so where does that leave us.

Fibroman

First Grade
The total lack of news on new signings is a major concern.

I am sure we have all waited with baited breath, but alas, nothing.

Again most of our rivals have been highly active in announcing new signings some high profile others talented youngsters from the NYC.

Seriously, can our club complain about memberships/season tickets when there is so little to truly encourage those fringe supporters to part with there hard earned and purchase memberships.

I just do not understand our recruitment strategies or lack thereof.

Clearly we needed to bring in two outside backs, another half/five eighth and two back rowers. I wouldn't mind if they were all from the NYC as long as they were kids with potential to make the step up but alas another season goes by with very little activity in the player recruitment front.

I don't know whether it is lack of money, lack of ambition or incompetence. Who knows, but at the end of the day some of our rivals will start 2011 with vastly improved squads and we have not added value to what we already had in 2010 so where does that leave us.

Up chit creek in a barbwire canoe with a crow bar for a paddle.

Kilkenny

Coach
As it stands we will be spending well under the alloted salary cap for 2011.

That is as a consequence of the funding from our major source of income in the football club, Panthers.

Yes they are not travelling as well as they would like to be and the Panthers as a consequence has to suffer.

franklin2323

Immortal
Are we under due to funds??? I think it's our inept Management not being able to sign players as to the reason.

Given we were prepared to match the Bulldogs offer on Pritchard to me shows we have the funds just can't sign anyone. Given we broke the bar record at 2 games. Smashed our gate record for the season. Just signed a new sleeve sponsor, Got 5 new player sponsors. We aren't too bad off

I have us about $300k under for next year but are incapable of signing anyone

Bob

Juniors
Are we under due to funds??? I think it's our inept Management not being able to sign players as to the reason.

Given we were prepared to match the Bulldogs offer on Pritchard to me shows we have the funds just can't sign anyone. Given we broke the bar record at 2 games. Smashed our gate record for the season. Just signed a new sleeve sponsor, Got 5 new player sponsors. We aren't too bad off

I have us about $300k under for next year but are incapable of signing anyone
Who would you sign that's off contract, the Pritchard negotianions went on for far to long (Leary's fault really), we should have given him a deadline and if he didn't sign then pull the offer

franklin2323

Immortal
Who would you sign that's off contract, the Pritchard negotianions went on for far to long (Leary's fault really), we should have given him a deadline and if he didn't sign then pull the offer

That's the main problem. As much of a fan of Pritchard I was we should of given it until Round 20 at the latest. Had we of done that we could of made a play at Blair or Manu. Melb said it was 1 of White, Manu, Blair to leave. White signed with Canberra in Round 24. That's a good month to get the job done. The good news is we play under we have more to play with next season and we can make a play earlier for players

Kilkenny

Coach
At the very least, season 2010 was successful as we actually won some games at CUA something we had not exactly been accomplishing in seasons prior. Despite winning most of our home games the home crowds were somewhat disappointing even if the weather was an excuse in 5-6 of our home games. When ever there is a sniff of rain the non die hard fans simply dont leave the comfort of there lounge rooms and instead take the soft option of there lounge rooms and foxtel.

Latest posts