What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Serbian League 2017

langpark

First Grade
NEW FORMAT FOR SERBIAN 1ST DIVISION IN 2017

A change of format in national championship heralds the start of new Serbian domestic season, which kicks off this weekend.

Eight clubs will begin the quest to contest the Grand Final, split into two groups of four.

In Group A, which starts on Sunday, there is a big city derby to open proceedings with arch rivals Red Star facing Partizan whilst current champions Dorćol host Radnički Niš.

Group B consists of Novi Beograd, Morava Gepardi Leskovac, Soko Vranje and Car Dušan Silni Paraćin.

In the first part of the season, each team will play the other home and away after which the bottom side in Group A will be relegated to Group B, with the winner of that group being promoted.

In the second part of the season, teams play their rivals in the group once, after which play-offs will determine the overall champion and team relegated to the second division.

SRLF general secretary Slobodan Manak cannot wait for the big kick off. “Last week we enjoyed a thrilling Super Cup match and the new format of the first division is designed to feature more matches among the top sides to continue to raise the standard,” he said.

“It will also give an opportunity for the upcoming teams to gain more game experience and then challenge the leaders. The schedule is tough but we are confident that the quality of rugby will rise overall.”

I like the sound of that, so it's going to be:

Group A
Red Star
Partizan
Dorćol
Radnički Niš.

Group B
Novi Beograd
Morava Gepardi Leskovac
Soko Vranje
Car Dušan Silni Paraćin.

Not sure where that last club has come from, perhaps they are new. The important thing here though is that there will be more competitive matches and less blowout scorelines.

Jankuloski

Juniors
The last club is a new club set up in the middle part of Serbia (Šumadija). You might have noticed that the federation took the local origin game there last year. Prior to that they worked with local authorities and a couple of enthusiasts to get a club started.

I think Paraćin is the place first RL game was played in Serbia, shortly after WW2, after the French were gracious enough to introduce us to TGG

Coastbloke

Bench
It seriously bugs me that these blokes aren't in the WC but the likes of Italy are. I'd even have Serbia over Scotland..

Leigh Howlett

Juniors
While I love their enthusiasm are their any Heritage Serbian players to make them competitive?, the guy that delivers my Junk Mail is Serbian so should I ask him?.

langpark

First Grade
While I love their enthusiasm are their any Heritage Serbian players to make them competitive?, the guy that delivers my Junk Mail is Serbian so should I ask him?.
Very ignorant comment mate.

If you had followed the qualifiers, you would have seen they had about 5 in their ranks, none of the highest profile (Trbojevic brothers and Nick Cotric) played, despite being named in the initial train-on squad. The most notable heritage players were Jason Muranka, who plays for Dewsbury and David Andjelic from the NRL Rookie.

It seriously bugs me that these blokes aren't in the WC but the likes of Italy are. I'd even have Serbia over Scotland..

If they could recruit some heritage players in Australia, especially Tom Trbojevic, Jake Trbojevic, Nikola Cotric and a few others in the second division clubs, with a sprinkling of Serbia residents, then Serbia could become an interesting second tier rugby league nation.

Televising Serbia playing in the world cup back in Serbia could boost recruitment for the local competition and maybe help the Serbian rugby league get government and private funding.

Latest posts