What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Serie A

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Inter Milan fires Gasperini after 3 months

The Associated Press

Last Updated: Sep 21, 2011 4:06 PM ET

Read 2 comments2 Recommend this2
gasperini-gianpiero110920ge.jpg
Gian Piero Gasperini previously coached Genoa. (OLIVIER MORIN/AFP/Getty Images)Inter Milan reportedly reached an agreement with Claudio Ranieri to replace the fired Gian Piero Gasperini on Wednesday.
The Gazzetta dello Sport and the ANSA news agency said Ranieri was set to sign a two-year deal, although the club did not make an official announcement.
Inter announced Gasperini's removal earlier, a day after a humiliating 3-1 loss to newly promoted Novara. That left Inter with one point from three Serie A games and winless under Gasperini.
The 2010 Italian champions lost 1-0 to Turkish side Trabzonspor in the Champions League last week, and were beaten by AC Milan in the Italian Super Cup last month to begin Gasperini's short reign.
Ranieri has previously managed Chelsea, Juventus and most recently Roma.
Ranieri had been working as a commentator for RAI, Italian state TV.
Ranieri took over Roma at a similar stage in 2009, after Luciano Spalletti resigned following two losses to open the season. Ranieri resigned from Roma in February after the squad lost four consecutive matches.
Inter thanked Gasperini for his work and said it was sorry things did not work out. Daniele Bernazzani and Giuseppe Baresi were named temporary coaches before the apparent deal for Ranieri.
"Results dictate everything," said Gasperini, who took over in June. "I really regret it, and I think everyone regrets it."
Heading into a meeting to decide Gasperini's fate, club president Massimo Moratti made clear he was not pleased with Inter's performance and that there was little other choice but to let Gasperini go.
"His situation seems very difficult, from all points of view," Moratti said.
Speaking of the Novara loss, he added: "When you lose like this, in the end there was nothing to like."
Against Novara — which was making its home debut after a 55-year absence from the top division — Inter made a series of defensive errors and its midfielders were unable to keep up with their opponents' pace.
Inter has a busy schedule in the coming days, playing at Bologna on Saturday then travelling to Russia three days later to face CSKA Moscow in the Champions League, with a big match against Napoli at the San Siro the following weekend.
Gasperini led Genoa up from the second division in 2007, then qualified the club for the Europa League with a fifth-place finish in 2009, but was fired in November after gaining only 11 points in the first 10 matches of last season.
His only previous coaching experience with a major club came with Juventus' youth squad in 1994, winning the prestigious Viareggio youth tournament.
Gasperini was Inter's third coach since Jose Mourinho left for Real Madrid after winning Serie A, the Italian Cup and the Champions League in 2010. Rafa Benitez struggled during the first half of last season and was replaced by Leonardo, who then unexpectedly left for an executive position at Paris Saint-Germain in June.
Inter opened the Serie A season with a 4-3 loss by Palermo, conceding four goals for the first time in a league match in more than seven years. Its only decent performance came in a 0-0 draw at home with Roma last weekend.
Gasperini was widely criticized for trying to impose a three-man defence on Inter, and for playing Wesley Sneijder out of his preferred position.
Inter's struggles can also be assigned to the sudden departure of the squad's top striker, Samuel Eto'o. The Cameroon international left for Russian club Anzhi Makhachkala last month.
Newly signed forwards Diego Forlan and Mauro Zarate have yet to make an impact.

Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/story/2011/09/21/sp-seriea-intermilan-gasperini.html#ixzz1YcmSc1Lv

clicky

hybrid_tiger

Coach
Milan look dire this season. Midfield has no creativity. After all the talk of "Mr X" they sign Aquilani. Very underwhelming.

As for Inter, hiring a manager who only knows how to play 3-4-3 was a mistake from the beginning. The old Inter is back.

HowHigh

Coach
Yeah no such thing as a sure thing atm in Serie A
Good to see Juve off to a decent start

half

Coach
how many hopeless gambling addicts are out there? i read about failed multis in just about every thread nowadays ffs

langpark

First Grade
Inter losing to Napoli 0-1 at the break, they've had a man sent, 4 bookings AND Napoli missed a penalty, what the hell! They're barely out of the relegation zone!

langpark

First Grade
Napoli were brilliant, I watched the second half. They weren't happy with 1-0, then 2-0, they just kept attacking until the final whistle.

Big result last night, Juve 2-0 AC Milan... Juve must be favourites at this stage, while Milan and Inter are off to very shaky starts...

hawker

Juniors
Napoli were brilliant, I watched the second half. They weren't happy with 1-0, then 2-0, they just kept attacking until the final whistle.

Big result last night, Juve 2-0 AC Milan... Juve must be favourites at this stage, while Milan and Inter are off to very shaky starts...

Juve dominated the game although the final ball in the box was often poor. Juve, Napoli and Udinese will probably fight it out for the title

langpark

First Grade
I agree with that, Di Natale is a goal-scoring machine... Though i would add Milan to that list, they'll turn it around soon, they definitely have the squad to do so. Inter too will turn it around but I still can't see them finishing in the top 5...

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Milan have too much up forward to stay where they are.

We just need to wake the sleeping giant.

Latest posts