What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Serious question

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
How can Melbourne tank for draft picks, the AFL reprimand them for "not tanking" and then a little while later award them a special draft pick anyway and bankroll a new coach for them because they are so crap?

My head is spinning. :crazy:

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
oh, the Vlad PR machine at its best

when the association is run by a dictator they can make their own rules

simples

How can Melbourne tank for draft picks, the AFL reprimand them for "not tanking" and then a little while later award them a special draft pick anyway and bankroll a new coach for them because they are so crap?

My head is spinning. :crazy:

A joke of a sport with no following outside three states, run by 5 chins, a man who if you shook hands with him you would have to check your fingers and thumb afterwards to make sure they were still there.

Munro_Mick

Juniors
They were never going to be able to make a legal definition of 'tanking' stick if challenged in court.
The concept then of effectively a negotiated outcome such as with Essendon is again an example of the legal minefield being avoided at all costs (rarely any winners other than the lawyers unless there's a serious legal precedent desperately required to be established.)
Much of what gets labelled 'tanking' is at any other time simply list management. Melbourne had a reason to lose and that was actually an AFL 'construct'. However - Melbourne also had every right with the season gone - to experiment with players in a variety of positions and to see how young kids went with more game time than normal.
Many other 'dead rubber' games near seasons end will become 'bruise free' with little close tagging of opposition key players.
For me - the focus on Melbourne really should've been something the AFL wanted to avoid as it just reflected poorly on the priority draft pick situation.

If you stick a big enough carrot out there - then don't be surprised that some reaches for it.

They were never going to be able to make a legal definition of 'tanking' stick if challenged in court.
The concept then of effectively a negotiated outcome such as with Essendon is again an example of the legal minefield being avoided at all costs (rarely any winners other than the lawyers unless there's a serious legal precedent desperately required to be established.)
Much of what gets labelled 'tanking' is at any other time simply list management. Melbourne had a reason to lose and that was actually an AFL 'construct'. However - Melbourne also had every right with the season gone - to experiment with players in a variety of positions and to see how young kids went with more game time than normal.
Many other 'dead rubber' games near seasons end will become 'bruise free' with little close tagging of opposition key players.
For me - the focus on Melbourne really should've been something the AFL wanted to avoid as it just reflected poorly on the priority draft pick situation.

If you stick a big enough carrot out there - then don't be surprised that some reaches for it.
Do you agree with me that the draft rewards moderately and is a farce and should be binned?

Latest posts