What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SFS redevelopment

Headless Chook

Juniors
Confirmed

http://www.roosters.com.au/news/2017/11/24/roosters_applaud_sta.html

Thoughts?

Love that the redevelopment is happening, it is sorely needed and the idea of floating capacities is a good one.

Playing at the SCG for 2 years will be annoying.

Part of me wishes we’d relocate to Henson Park like we did in ‘87 when the Sports Ground was redeveloped. There’s just something about those shitty suburban grounds which made it a more personable experience.

adamkungl

Immortal
Makes no real difference to us big picture I think.
The rain cover will help here and there, but if anythings gonna help our crowds its the light rail to the stadium not the stadium itself.

SCG is the best result for our home games, If we take more than 3 out of our local region il be pissed. Not travelling to Parra or Homebush or Gosford every week.

I'm a fan of it from a Sydney city perspective though. It's a nice ground to watch a game at but it struggles facilities-wise with anything over 20k. The concourse areas are well behind what new stadiums are doing.

Again from a world class city view, i wish they were rebuilding it to 70k and dropping homebush down to 40-50k, but that never seemed to be really on the table

Part of me wishes we’d relocate to Henson Park like we did in ‘87 when the Sports Ground was redeveloped. There’s just something about those shitty suburban grounds which made it a more personable experience.

I still remember that day against Canterbury where Smith scored in the corner right on full time, converted from the sideline to snatch an unlikely win and you and I chugging on Winnie Reds cos Winnie Blues looked too close to the Dogs jersey, LOL

Again from a world class city view, i wish they were rebuilding it to 70k and dropping homebush down to 40-50k, ....

Thank you for the SCG Trust advertorial Stuart Ayres :p

Sorry I could not help myself.

Personally I disagree with you about the need for cover. The SFS was found out on opening night to be deficient at providing shelter when it rained. As such whenever it looks like rain, many people won't even consider going if they know their seat is not under cover. Any re-design needs to ensure the bulk of seats are under cover in case of rain. People won't pay good money to sit in the rain these days, not if they can sit at home and watch it warm and dry on their TV.

As to the eastern suburbs light rail, if you think it is going to make a big difference, think again sport. If you get any decent sized crowd, the light rail won't be able to cope, regardless of what Andrew Constance says. It is already being pointed out by transport experts that by the time it opens, the light rail will more often than not be running at over capacity. Don't forget the light rail is not supplementing current public transport, but is replacing quite a number of current public transport services (i.e. buses). Constance has been boasting for months about how it will get hundreds of buses off the eastern suburbs roads during peak hour.

Whilst it is a necessary evil, I detest watching league at the SCG. It is the worst ground to view professional rugby league at in the country.

My other concern is when the new stadium opens, where do they put the season ticket holders? For example, currently my seats are right on half way, and are under cover. Assuming I'm still a member come 2021, will my seats at the new stadium be in the relative same place? Many people who are season ticket holders have had the same seats for a long time and if in 2021 find themselves in new spots won't be overly happy, especially if the club does something dumb (e.g. relocates them to the eastern side of the ground which they attempted to do to all season ticket holders during the SL War, until there was an at ground revolt by the season ticket holders).

adamkungl

Immortal
Thank you for the SCG Trust advertorial Stuart Ayres :p

Sorry I could not help myself.

Personally I disagree with you about the need for cover. The SFS was found out on opening night to be deficient at providing shelter when it rained. As such whenever it looks like rain, many people won't even consider going if they know their seat is not under cover. Any re-design needs to ensure the bulk of seats are under cover in case of rain. People won't pay good money to sit in the rain these days, not if they can sit at home and watch it warm and dry on their TV.

As to the eastern suburbs light rail, if you think it is going to make a big difference, think again sport. If you get any decent sized crowd, the light rail won't be able to cope, regardless of what Andrew Constance says. It is already being pointed out by transport experts that by the time it opens, the light rail will more often than not be running at over capacity. Don't forget the light rail is not supplementing current public transport, but is replacing quite a number of current public transport services (i.e. buses). Constance has been boasting for months about how it will get hundreds of buses off the eastern suburbs roads during peak hour.

Hold up I'm not anti-cover! Why would I be?

While I agree with your criticism of the light rail's supposed capacity and replacing buses, I think that there is a strong public preference for rail over buses.
For whatever reason, people seem to dislike buses or find them difficult even though the existing routes service the stadium quite well. Perception about ease of travel to the stadium will be greatly improved even though the experience will remain much the same.
Also the direct tram route from Central to the stadium will be a major tangible improvement over the 393/395 route which the closest stop is corner of Cleveland.

H.H

Juniors
I still remember that day against Canterbury where Smith scored in the corner right on full time, converted from the sideline to snatch an unlikely win and you and I chugging on Winnie Reds cos Winnie Blues looked too close to the Dogs jersey, LOL
Great day, I was there too but it was Wayne Challis who scored with Smith sending a booming conversion over from the corner to win it.

Great days

Great day, I was there too but it was Wayne Challis who scored with Smith sending a booming conversion over from the corner to win it.

Great days

Ah, thanks for the correction. I ran onto the ground at full-time and took some of the sand from Smith's kicking mound as a souvenir if memory serves

Headless Chook

Juniors
Could have developed emphysema that day. I’m sure I smashed an entire pack in 80 mins.

horrie hastings

First Grade

Great days

Yes, John Mackay made a huge break and passed it on to David Smith ,Smith went to pass it to Wayne Challis but Canterbury’s Glenn Frendo got in the way and knocked the ball down but knocked it towards the in goal area and Challis swooped on the loose ball to score, David Smith then converted the try from the side line to give Easts a 16-14 win. David Smith had another pressure conversion a few weeks later to give Easts a 24-22 win over Cronulla, Wayne Challis was sent off in that game. Henson Park was kind to us in 1987 with quite a few very close and memorable victories.

Headless Chook

Juniors
Yes, John Mackay made a huge break and passed it on to David Smith ,Smith went to pass it to Wayne Challis but Canterbury’s Glenn Frendo got in the way and knocked the ball down but knocked it towards the in goal area and Challis swooped on the loose ball to score, David Smith then converted the try from the side line to give Easts a 16-14 win. David Smith had another pressure conversion a few weeks later to give Easts a 24-22 win over Cronulla, Wayne Challis was sent off in that game. Henson Park was kind to us in 1987 with quite a few very close and memorable victories.
Thankfully, quite a few games from HP in 1987 have been uploaded on YouTube. Great memories.

horrie hastings

First Grade
Thankfully, quite a few games from HP in 1987 have been uploaded on YouTube. Great memories.

Yes, I watch the Canterbury and Cronulla games fron Henson park quite regularly , great memories, Hugh Mc Gahan was huge for us then, even Brendan Hall looked good that year, I know it wasn’t till 1989 we signed Sandy Campbell but after watching the shocker he had for the dogs against us at Henson in 1987 you wonder why we ever bought him, he almost single handily bought us back into the game when we’re trailing 10-14 and gave us the chance to get in position to score the match winning try.
The big win against Manly at Henson is on you tube for that year as is the loss to Souths after we led 16-6.

Lambretta

First Grade
What a f**king waste of money

The SFS is a great stadium - you get a good view from wherever you sit
I don't understand this desperation to knock it down and start again

What it really needs is a decent roof - fix that and I will be happy

I will not be renewing my membership we're playing home games at the SFS
I f**king hate watching footy there

I can't even get a membership for Sydney FC as they will be playing out of Leichhardt
Although that is better than the SCG

adamkungl

Immortal

I can't even get a membership for Sydney FC as they will be playing out of Leichhardt

The facilities at the SFS absolutely struggle with more than 20,000 in there.
A city that considers itself world class should have a world class stadium.

Valheru

Coach

Disagree

This is sorely needed although whether a complete knockdown should have happened or a staged upgrade is another debate.

ANZ is in a shit hole but the facilities there are so much better from the concourse all the way through to the corporates. My hope (albeit an optimistic one) is that the new SFS will be seen as a venue that people want to go to ala Suncorp Stadium.

It is a great view at the moment but the stadium just looks tired and out-dated. Look at places like ANZ, Suncorp, AAMI, Etihad, SCG, Adelaide Oval and the list goes on, they just look and feel more modern and the experience there mimics that. The SFS is well and truly stuck in the early 90s as a venue. They better still have full strength beer though!!

The SCG is not great for footy but what other choice is there? At least they are staying loyal to their local area and not going to ANZ/Parra stadium. I do think there is an opportunity to live up to the "Sydney" in our name and minimise the games at the SCG by playing a couple of games at places like Kogarah and Leichardt against out of town opposition as it is not too far from our traditional base but not sure how that would go down with most supporters. It isn't unprecedented, didn't Parra have a full season or 2 at Belmore?

The SCG is not great for footy but what other choice is there? At least they are staying loyal to their local area and not going to ANZ/Parra stadium.

Would be a bit hard to go to ANZ Stadium Val as it will be under reconstruction pretty much at the same time.

Valheru

Coach
Would be a bit hard to go to ANZ Stadium Val as it will be under reconstruction pretty much at the same time.

Not until 2020 so 2019 at ANZ is an option and then 2020 at the new Parra stadium.

Not an option I advocate for by the way but an option none the less.