What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SG Ball and Harold Matthews results

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
Half back is the most important position on the field and after Hunt's poor showing against the Roosters and the dearth of quality organising half backs on the market, I reckon we need to look to the future and start manufacturing a good one (as we did with Ben Hornby). Like Hornby, Jahrome Hughes made the transition from full-back to half back and I'd be looking at TPH (has vision and a great cut out pass on top of his speed, toughness and ferocious defence). Just has to work on his kicking game. Brendan Tikinau showed toughness and good leadership skills when I saw him against the Raiders and he could be another option.

Parko1310

Juniors
Half back is the most important position on the field and after Hunt's poor showing against the Roosters and the dearth of quality organising half backs on the market, I reckon we need to look to the future and start manufacturing a good one (as we did with Ben Hornby). Like Hornby, Jahrome Hughes made the transition from full-back to half back and I'd be looking at TPH (has vision and a great cut out pass on top of his speed, toughness and ferocious defence). Just has to work on his kicking game. Brendan Tikinau showed toughness and good leadership skills when I saw him against the Raiders and he could be another option.
The Steelers halves will be the ones they'll look to promote through the grades you would think. Early days, but I would guess Hammoud and Tikinau don't have that much of a future here. Reed and King-Togia on the other hand, those two look pretty good. We just need to make sure we are developing them properly. They're very good talents, but our development in the past has been atrocious

Wolfgang90

Juniors
Hutchinson played the entire 1st half, love his running style as he bumps away from players & does angled runs which help create a bit of uncertainty in the defensive line. I'm more bullish on him transitioning through the grades than a few of you on here but we've got a heap of good/great middles coming through.

Hope we don't mess up their development like we have with most of our juniors in the last 10 years.

Wolfgang90

Juniors
How good was Halangahu hit on Mitchell Woods (Dogs highly regarded HB) in the last minute of the game. One of the hits of the season across all grades. Then he gave him a massive spray & so did David Afu lmao. Soo good to see some aggression & heart.

A few of the boys have wrote celebratory posts on Instagram with hashtags like #allbarknobite #backtonospam25 LOL...safe to say plenty of sledging from the dogs players in this game.

TheRev

First Grade
Damien Cook and Adam Quinlan are good examples of players that hovered between fullback, hooker and sometimes 5/8 for Quinlan.

Rare skillset that you can do both.. Cook was a freak.. he wasnt a playmaker though.. he was a hooker first and foremost.. but his speed meant he was a real danger returning the ball... I remember so clearly him running the length when he filled in at the back. Quinlan struggled with the defensive side of things... he had x-factor though with the ball.

I just think its a waste though with TPH, why put him @9 to do 45 tackles and pass like a robot, when he is the most creative part of that SG dragons spine? Its nice to have the option mind you, but I think if he can jump high enough to catch a high ball, then #1 is his position... hes basically dufty with a tad less speed, but a full kitbag otherwise, defensively and offensively as a playmaker.. whereas Dufty was all speed, 0 defense.. and eventually developed a nice long pass.. but it was a bit of a 1-trick pony move that opposition teams started to read.

denis preston

First Grade
Same here. With what he showed with those two cut outs for tries I am adding half too. Those that think he is too small for footy take a Bex. Mark Shulman played for us from 1971–78 and he was shorter than TPH at 157cm, Perry Haddock also had a long career, including three years with us, he was also 165cm as was Allan Langer.
But these players were before the big haulking Islanders came on to the scene.

Dragon David

First Grade
But these players were before the big haulking Islanders came on to the scene.
Yep, the big, hulking Islander guys. I can remember watching some park footy almost 30 years ago and a lot of the younger kids playing were caucasian but there were also some islander kids who, because it was an age thing, were big and strong to power through the lighter caucasian kids.

Now we see them in droves in all grades and they are bloody hard to handle just like it was when the park footy kids played. Mark Shulman and Perry Haddock and even Alan Langer would have problems handling these islander guys if they played now.