What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Shame Shame Shame

silverfox

Juniors
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...ior-jets-use-of-club-crest-20100307-pqn3.html

It's bags at 10 paces: almighty blue being played out as Newtown take exception to Junior Jets' use of club crest
ROY MASTERS

March 8, 2010
jets-200x0.jpg
‘It may come down to Newtown suing their own junior club.’ Paul Shiel, Junior Jets president.

If you find yourself talking wistfully about old high school love, or craving for a long-dead childhood pet, you will know how fans of defunct football clubs feel.
''If you talk about passion,'' said Barry Vining, chairman of Newtown Rugby League Football Club, ''consider what happened to us from 1984 to '91. We never had a football team but the board met every month to work out how to pay off our debts.''
In 1984, the Jets sued the NSWRL for royalties and control of their logo, an action that was eventually settled out of court. ''We ended up one of the few clubs with ownership of our trademarks,'' Vining said.
Yet the same hard-won trademark and emblem are now denied the 370 Junior Jets who play in the South Sydney Junior Rugby League competition. Junior Jets president Paul Shiel said: ''They've demanded we take the logo off the kids' jumpers. They can't stop us playing in the royal blue jumper but they've prevented us using the 'N' in a shield and the Jets logo.''
Some of Newtown's prominent past players say the action is petty, but Vining insists it is proper corporate practice. ''Players get into trouble today and sponsors have more say, and with the Newtown name up in lights, we have to be careful about what we don't control,'' he said.
An eight-year-old in a Newtown jumper doing a runner on a taxi driver, or urinating in public? ''It was purely a commercial decision not to extend use of our registered trademarks to the Junior Jets beyond 2009,'' Vining argued.
''We did not want any situation arising involving the junior club that had the potential to bring our trademarks into disrepute.''
Vining insisted the relationship between the Junior Jets, formed in 2003, and the 1908 foundation club, had always been tenuous. ''The junior club has, for its own financial reasons, chosen to locate its activities out of the Camperdown Bowling Club and not the Jets Sports Club in Tempe, so there is now no connection at all between the two football clubs,'' he said.
Yet a stoush in a club car park in 2006 might have contributed to the division. Shiel, then a director of the Jets, had a disagreement with another board member, Jets stalwart, Glen ''Bumper'' Dwyer, in the car park of the Cooks River Bowling Club, a club jointly run by the Jets and the bowlers.
Inner-city football club politics have long resembled ALP machinations, an analogy used by ''Bumper'' to explain the altercation. ''The Newtown directors had an ALP-type agreement that we would stick solid at board meetings in a united front in any issues against the bowlers,'' he said. ''The chap broke ranks, and I followed him into the car park to give him a piece of my mind.
''It wasn't like the days of [former NSWRL officials] Bill Buckley and Jersey Flegg. If I was rating my performance, I'd be 3/10. I never touched him with a finger. No physical contact whatsoever. There might have been a bit of arm waving from a distance. It was just a shouting match.''
''Bumper'' revealed he was later rebuked by Vining, who said, ''Bumper apologised at the next meeting, and it was accepted.''
But Shiel hasn't forgotten. ''The same director was given the NSWRL's Ray Steller award as Club Official of the Year,'' he said.
A local artist, Marija Zeko, also has a grievance against the Jets. Zeko claims Newtown director Terry Rowney commissioned her to paint a montage of Jets emblems and champion players to be auctioned at a fund-raiser, where she would take half of the successful bid. Former Jet, publican Steve Bowden, was top bidder with $3000. ''Steve gave the painting back as a donation,'' Zeko said. ''I was supposed to get $1500, and haven't seen a cent. Terry Rowney gave me the painting back, and now I've got a painting at home I've got no use for. I feel an idiot in my own house.''
Vining said Zeko insisted on a reserve of $5000, and when the bidding failed to reach it, Bowden's $3000 was declared a sponsorship, with the name of his hotel printed on the goal post padding at Henson Park and the painting returned to her.
While Zeko has an unwanted painting of Newtown trademarks and the Junior Jets can't wear them, Rowney uses them at his family label printing company, Labelcraft.
Asked to define his commercial relationship with the Jets, he said: ''We have an arrangement to use the logo on gear we design.''
He insists the arrangement is far from lucrative, saying: ''I'm happy to show you the tax return.''
Rowney also sponsors the Jets and meets the annual shortfall but refuses to specify the amount, although admitting it costs $400,000 to run the one-team operation. ''It's a substantial amount,'' he said, although one director said the club's annual income was also $400,000. ''What I tip in is my private business. It's alarming. The board members know how big it is.''
''Bumper'' described Rowney's position with Newtown as a scaled-down parallel of Roman Abramovich's ownership of English Premier League club Chelsea, a comparison Rowney endorsed.
''I am him at our level,'' he said. ''I just write out the cheques. I'm not into boats, racehorses or big houses. I'm just into the Jets.
''As [former Newtown international Brian] 'Chicka' Moore says, 'If it aint good for Newtown, it's not the right decision.'''
The Jets play in the NSWRL Cup, kicking off on March 13 with a match against Balmain at Henson Park in a double-header heritage round, with Wests playing North Sydney.
Their season launch will be held at Petersham RSL club tomorrow at 7pm (phone 0447 046 516), attended by Roosters coach Brian Smith (whose coaching career began at Newtown with an under-23 team), Parramatta CEO Paul Osborne (who went to school in the district) and boxing trainer Johnny Lewis.
Meanwhile, the Junior Jets held a board meeting on Thursday night and decided to defy the ban because it would cost $3000 to remove the emblems from jumpers.
''We can't fork out $3000 of raffle money on jumpers ordered two years in advance,'' Shiel said. ''It may come down to Newtown suing their own junior club.''

What club would reject 370 kids????

Last edited:
What an idiot, did not want to bring our trademark into disrepute. Well I am sure this decision has just added to the value of the Jets brand.

Nugby

Juniors
Sounds like it's the Junior Jets administration rather than the kids themselves who were the target by the Jets, but Roy didn't miss the chance to put the poor little 8-year olds front and centre.

I doubt they're old enough to take it too personally.

silverfox

Juniors
Nugby it does look that way but when an 8 year old kids all they want to do is run out on Henson park and they are denied by narrow minded people then they and their parents take it personally. On this critical climate of rugby league wouldn't u be embracing kids (370 of them) and their parents to get them to jets home games? The way I read this is that glen dwyer hasvthe problem and us letting ego over rife common sense.

NZ Jet

Juniors
Might be an idea to put the fans first - a trade mark isn't going to be worth much if there's no one left who cares about it.

Sad to see this particularly as there will be nasty things said about all parties depending on which side of an argument people take when I would think the realities, (regardless of personality or level of good judgement) are:
- Rowney is generous to the jets. Not just $ contributed I'd reckon.
- Dwyer is a good club man who has been dedicated for long time
- Shiel is doing a great job with the juniors and has achieved a lot in short time

I'm not suppiortuing the board's position at face value but the JJ's are not just u/8's and it might be more the Senior (A grade etc) they have in mind - perhaps. Other threads here have in past showed all is not happy at that level maybe the board notices such things?

But at the end of the day if we still struggle to generate $400 k a year and need Rowney to balance the books personally, then the trademarks that might be bought into disrepute are not exactly genarating that much worth - and I would think the first time a kid or 2 became NRL superstars having been Newtown Jets juniors - wearing the logos of the seniors, the brand might be worth rise in value.

I am proud my boy has been able to wear the colours, name and logos of the Newtown Jets and hope other parents can get the same pleasure in the future.

silverfox

Juniors
well said NZ jet - and you are right. Why wuld Mr Rowney continue to pour money into the Jets without looking outside for more revenue. The Juniors have never received any money from the Senior Club so to ensure their future they went outside the square. Now they become successful and could in fact start funnel some funds back to the senior club but they want nothing to do with it???? is that good business sense?? The article also failed to mention the Juniors made a new logo so there would not be any conflicts and the senior blew up royally and told the JJ they are not to use any other logo other than the NJ. Then they make this decision??? This aint right for Newtown - it aint right at all!

stumped

Juniors
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...ior-jets-use-of-club-crest-20100307-pqn3.html

It's bags at 10 paces: almighty blue being played out as Newtown take exception to Junior Jets' use of club crest
ROY MASTERS

March 8, 2010
jets-200x0.jpg
‘It may come down to Newtown suing their own junior club.’ Paul Shiel, Junior Jets president.

If you find yourself talking wistfully about old high school love, or craving for a long-dead childhood pet, you will know how fans of defunct football clubs feel.
''If you talk about passion,'' said Barry Vining, chairman of Newtown Rugby League Football Club, ''consider what happened to us from 1984 to '91. We never had a football team but the board met every month to work out how to pay off our debts.''
In 1984, the Jets sued the NSWRL for royalties and control of their logo, an action that was eventually settled out of court. ''We ended up one of the few clubs with ownership of our trademarks,'' Vining said.
Yet the same hard-won trademark and emblem are now denied the 370 Junior Jets who play in the South Sydney Junior Rugby League competition. Junior Jets president Paul Shiel said: ''They've demanded we take the logo off the kids' jumpers. They can't stop us playing in the royal blue jumper but they've prevented us using the 'N' in a shield and the Jets logo.''
Some of Newtown's prominent past players say the action is petty, but Vining insists it is proper corporate practice. ''Players get into trouble today and sponsors have more say, and with the Newtown name up in lights, we have to be careful about what we don't control,'' he said.
An eight-year-old in a Newtown jumper doing a runner on a taxi driver, or urinating in public? ''It was purely a commercial decision not to extend use of our registered trademarks to the Junior Jets beyond 2009,'' Vining argued.
''We did not want any situation arising involving the junior club that had the potential to bring our trademarks into disrepute.''
Vining insisted the relationship between the Junior Jets, formed in 2003, and the 1908 foundation club, had always been tenuous. ''The junior club has, for its own financial reasons, chosen to locate its activities out of the Camperdown Bowling Club and not the Jets Sports Club in Tempe, so there is now no connection at all between the two football clubs,'' he said.
Yet a stoush in a club car park in 2006 might have contributed to the division. Shiel, then a director of the Jets, had a disagreement with another board member, Jets stalwart, Glen ''Bumper'' Dwyer, in the car park of the Cooks River Bowling Club, a club jointly run by the Jets and the bowlers.
Inner-city football club politics have long resembled ALP machinations, an analogy used by ''Bumper'' to explain the altercation. ''The Newtown directors had an ALP-type agreement that we would stick solid at board meetings in a united front in any issues against the bowlers,'' he said. ''The chap broke ranks, and I followed him into the car park to give him a piece of my mind.
''It wasn't like the days of [former NSWRL officials] Bill Buckley and Jersey Flegg. If I was rating my performance, I'd be 3/10. I never touched him with a finger. No physical contact whatsoever. There might have been a bit of arm waving from a distance. It was just a shouting match.''
''Bumper'' revealed he was later rebuked by Vining, who said, ''Bumper apologised at the next meeting, and it was accepted.''
But Shiel hasn't forgotten. ''The same director was given the NSWRL's Ray Steller award as Club Official of the Year,'' he said.
A local artist, Marija Zeko, also has a grievance against the Jets. Zeko claims Newtown director Terry Rowney commissioned her to paint a montage of Jets emblems and champion players to be auctioned at a fund-raiser, where she would take half of the successful bid. Former Jet, publican Steve Bowden, was top bidder with $3000. ''Steve gave the painting back as a donation,'' Zeko said. ''I was supposed to get $1500, and haven't seen a cent. Terry Rowney gave me the painting back, and now I've got a painting at home I've got no use for. I feel an idiot in my own house.''
Vining said Zeko insisted on a reserve of $5000, and when the bidding failed to reach it, Bowden's $3000 was declared a sponsorship, with the name of his hotel printed on the goal post padding at Henson Park and the painting returned to her.
While Zeko has an unwanted painting of Newtown trademarks and the Junior Jets can't wear them, Rowney uses them at his family label printing company, Labelcraft.
Asked to define his commercial relationship with the Jets, he said: ''We have an arrangement to use the logo on gear we design.''
He insists the arrangement is far from lucrative, saying: ''I'm happy to show you the tax return.''
Rowney also sponsors the Jets and meets the annual shortfall but refuses to specify the amount, although admitting it costs $400,000 to run the one-team operation. ''It's a substantial amount,'' he said, although one director said the club's annual income was also $400,000. ''What I tip in is my private business. It's alarming. The board members know how big it is.''
''Bumper'' described Rowney's position with Newtown as a scaled-down parallel of ownership of English Premier League club Chelsea, a comparison Rowney endorsed.
''I am him at our level,'' he said. ''I just write out the cheques. I'm not into boats, racehorses or big houses. I'm just into the Jets.
''As [former Newtown international Brian] 'Chicka' Moore says, 'If it aint good for Newtown, it's not the right decision.'''
The Jets play in the NSWRL Cup, kicking off on March 13 with a match against Balmain at Henson Park in a double-header heritage round, with Wests playing North Sydney.
Their season launch will be held at Petersham RSL club tomorrow at 7pm (phone 0447 046 516), attended by Roosters coach Brian Smith (whose coaching career began at Newtown with an under-23 team), Parramatta CEO Paul Osborne (who went to school in the district) and boxing trainer Johnny Lewis.
Meanwhile, the Junior Jets held a board meeting on Thursday night and decided to defy the ban because it would cost $3000 to remove the emblems from jumpers.
''We can't fork out $3000 of raffle money on jumpers ordered two years in advance,'' Shiel said. ''It may come down to Newtown suing their own junior club.''

What club would reject 370 kids????
Hahaha

what a surprise! not so much to me

Lets set some points straight, Terry Rowney on a even parallel to the owner of Chelsea Football club!! I think not, Roman Abramovich's contribution is in the mega millions per year and can all be accounted for, Terry Rowneys is topping up the shortfall of $400k a year yet never shown at the AGM in the annual financial reports!!!!

Glenn Dwyer denying a physical altercation with then fellow director Mr Sheil because he "broke ranks" only to be questioned by Barry Vinning over the incident and then forced to apologies, this only says one thing, Glenn had something to apologies for!!! HELLO......... isn't it the responsibility of elected directors to act in the best interest of the club/organisation they have been elected???? shame on you Glenn,

''If you talk about passion,'' said Barry Vining, chairman of Newtown Rugby League Football Club, ''consider what happened to us from 1984 to '91. We never had a football team but the board met every month to work out how to pay off our debts.'' Barry these are your words as quoted above, so please, PLEASE stop spin doctoring the oldest club in rugby league, the club never participated at any level for a period dating 1984-1991.

He insists the arrangement is far from lucrative, saying: ''I'm happy to show you the tax return.'' Terry, how about listing it in the financial for members to see, I've never seen a return to the club in the financial from your family's clothing company!!!!

''It was purely a commercial decision not to extend use of our registered trademarks to the Junior Jets beyond 2009,'' Vining argued. Barry, so when a fan purchases merchandise from the Rowney family owned merchandise brand and urinates in the street or commits an armed hold up or heaven forbid attacks another member of public whilst wearing his trade marked piece of merchandise will you then make a purely a commercial decision not to extend use of our registered trademarks to the Rowney family owned company????

''It wasn't like the days of [former NSWRL officials] Bill Buckley and Jersey Flegg. If I was rating my performance, I'd be 3/10. Glenn, this was regarding the altercation or your media relations???? please explain!!

Vining insisted the relationship between the Junior Jets, formed in 2003, and the 1908 foundation club, had always been tenuous. ''The junior club has, for its own financial reasons, chosen to locate its activities out of the Camperdown Bowling Club and not the Jets Sports Club in Tempe, Barry, perhaps the fact the Juniors never receive financial support from the Cooks River bowling Club and Camperdown Bowling club are Financially supporting the 370 registered junior players of the Newtown Junior Jets is why that commercial decision was made???

Last edited:

stumped

Juniors
oops, I forgot probably the most important thing of all, Glenn, Barry and Terry, why is it that Terry is required to "top up the shortfall" yet the club received $1000000.00 through the Narellan property's??? and wouldn't you know it, nothing was mentioned in the financial at the AGM........ so as they say in the movies "show us the money"

stumped

Juniors
Oh come on Glenn, we all know you read the forum so why not reply??? After all that is the role of a media relations officer isn't it????

silverfox

Juniors
Oh come on Glenn, we all know you read the forum so why not reply??? After all that is the role of a media relations officer isn't it????

Dont hold your breath - we dont need responses really - Roy summed it up in his article of the values of not the club but 3 directors. They would rather see kids suffer and let personal disagreements rule their thinking. Everything the NRL is doing is ensuring the games future. What is Newtown doing to contribute to this??? The juniors seem to be trying their best to ensure almost 400 are not lost to the game. Why wouldnt the senior club try and get the juniors in under their control so they could have the benefits of their vision??

What really is the difference between the JUniors getting camperdown bowling club as a sponsors and the senior club getting pertersham RSL to sponsor???? I dont get it? so it just must be personal. Leave your egos at the door people!

stumped

Juniors
Yep, great point.... Oh and the bowling club from a few years back, come on Glenn you silence is deafening. Come on express some of your 3/10 reporting skills now or do you need the permission of Barry and Terry to do so??? Perhaps Jack Holmes or Henson Park!!!!

brendothejet

First Grade
You guys dont want to know about what I think, suffice to say there may be a protest on the hill this afternoon...

silverfox

Juniors
it was good to see that at least the kids were proud to wear the royal blue out onto ANZ stadium last night! they did the logo and the name very proud. well done kids at least your doing your bit to keep the newtown name alive! not since 1983 have there been so many kids paying in the royal blue. make you think doesnt it.....................

silverfox

Juniors
thats right steel - but they have paid money to trade mark the logo, just dont know what kids will do to disrepect that! but i have noticed on my newtown gear that there is no 'TM' next to any of the logos - obviously not that important!!!

silverfox

Juniors
Perhaps they can use an image of a Newtown great (Bumper Farrell, Neil Pringle, etc) running with the ball as their logo?

good idea - i think they need to go back to the drawing board and start again and have a look at themselves and actually what they are doing to tarnish the name of newtown and the logo. much more than what any kid can do!

Latest posts