What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Shane Flanagan's rant, Greenberg's response

butchmcdick

Immortal
Correct me if I'm wrong but I think it was something along the lines of shit happens, get over it. The irony here is hilarious

"It happened, there was no real point on dwelling on that in the change rooms [at half-time] but we discussed it later," he said.

"At the end of the day it is done and dusted."

Sharks coach Shane Flanagan insists there was nothing sinister in the decision, saying the referees never set out to award his side a try in dubious circumstances.

"I do care [about the decision], obviously I'd hate to lose a game that way, but it was done early and these things happen in a game," he said.

"It's human error, they've made a mistake, I'm sure they didn't do it deliberately.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-09-...-cronulla27s-seven-tackle-try-in-fina/4958426

Seems radically different to his comments today

Reactions: Vee

BWNB

First Grade
I thought the Fifita knocked on?

We didnt play at the ball off the kick.

Maloney should not have been sent to the sin bin.

We missed so many tackles however we were still able to be in the game.

lazza

Juniors
Still not 10 mins in the bin.
Agree - happens all the time and not even a penalty in most instances. Just watch an origin game to see how many blatant off ball blocks are made. They've set a precedent now though, otherwise its unconscious bias

Can we actually analyse some of what he said in the presser, for those who haven't seen it yet... http://www.nrl.com/fw1-press-conference-sharks/tabid/10959/contentid/936546/default.aspx

Keep in mind he's said the game needs fixing because they can't get any calls right, not even close yet for a man who clearly came in prepared it's amazing how wrong he was;

Let's start with his thoughts on the James Maloney sin binning

"Touch Judge is calling Lachlan Coote offside, so what's first? Penalty to us but no what is it, player in the sin bin"

"When James Maloney touches him the ball is already in Valentine's hands"

If you're going to come out and bag the refs, make sure you're getting the calls right yourself otherwise you're just as incompetent as them, worse because you've had the benefit of replays.

Maloney clearly touches him before Valentine gets the ball and Lachlan Coote isn't even close to being offside. This type of ranting and raving is embarrassing for the game.

2crpp28.png

If you don't think we got screwed by the refs today than YOU are the poor judge!

You better hope the trend doesn't continue because so far the refs decide who's leaving the Competition each week.

The problem is there sh*t calls on both sides.
Sharks 2nd try was on a bs penalty, the 1st shouldn't have been a try imo but will cop it.
It wasn't as if the Cows didnt get crappy calls either.

No accountability, Sharks made plenty of errors and mistakes in game management.
That's why they lost.

Incorrect.

The reason we lost was bad calls.

Should have been a Penalty to the Sharks when Gallen got stripped and we ice the game.

Then Coote loses the ball but gets a penalty and the Cowboys level up with 2 minutes to go.

Should have been a scrum and we AGAIN go on to win the game.

Refereeing was beyond bad and if I was the coach I can't say I would've had the same restraint.

Saxon

Bench
Fair enough, but let's not trial that in an elimination final ey?
They have been running with that interpretation for about 8 weeks now and there have been about 6 or 7 sin bins or penalty tries given in that time for it. Munster yesterday afternoon is an example. No way would that have been a sin bin in week 6.
Personally I'm a fan of the new interpretation, but I understand why it seems harsh as hell to you.

You just think that cos we're used to piss weak refs who are too scared to use the bin.
Deliberately grabbed a player to deprive him of an opportunity for a try scoring play. Should be a sin bin every day of the week. need more of it.

Was never going to get anywhere near the ball.

TheVelourFog

First Grade
Incorrect.

Penalty to Gallen for a strip and we ice the game.

Then Coote loses the ball but gets a penalty and the Cowboys level up with 2 minutes to go.

Refereeing was beyond bad and if I was the coach I can't say I would've had the same restraint.

you, sir, are what is known in polite circles as a Sore Loser

Round 1 thru 26 you get rorted you might have a case to blow up, but in a sudden death semi,you show a bit of class,give the other mob a rap, and reflect on miss chances. You save your sprays for a few days. Okay Flannigan must have been gutted,but it has come over as a bad case of sour grapes.

Also were the Sharks the better team???

Yes they were considering so much went against them in the game but only lost the lead in the 85th minute.

But hey keep thinking the Cowboys were the better team by taking the lead in the 85th minute.

Eion

First Grade
You actually need to be a chance to get the ball to be sin binned or a bunch of other players on both sides should have got the same treatment.

Generalzod

Immortal
Incorrect.

Penalty to Gallen for a strip and we ice the game.

What about Jason try not one film frame showed that the ball touch the ground..f**k even the 9 commentary said that it was no try

TIGER14

Bench
The refs sucked today but Cowboys had plenty of controversial calls go against them too.
End of the day, Cowboys were f**king shit and if Sharks couldn't beat them they don't deserve to be in the finals.