What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sharks announce Raper as new coach

Fyn

Juniors
That is great news in my opinion.

I'm really looking forward to seeing what he can make of this team. He has waited a long time to get this job, so I'm sure he will do everything in his power to turn around our current situation.

I am especially looking forward to having a coach that has actual passion and loyalty for our club.

Jason Stevens was interviewed and said what a relief it was to have the matter sorted. Nutley said that he was contracted to play well for Cronulla, and added that he was Anderson'r friend. Bails manager is talking to other clubs.

Stevens is the man. He said "you dont get to pick your boss" and he'll do his best for the club.

The worrying thing is that Raper is here for 2 years.

STUART Raper was tonight formally appointed head coach of Cronulla for the next two National Rugby League seasons.

Raper was to have been Chris Anderson's assistant before the national coach was sacked by the Sharks yesterday.

Veteran fullback David Peachey - Cronulla's longest-serving player - today endorsed Raper as the answer to the Sharks' coaching problems.

As Anderson's soured relationship with the Sharks board headed for the courts, Raper was ushered back to the club where his coaching career began before he set off for a stint in England.

He transformed struggling Castleford into a genuine English Super League contender before being lured to Wigan, where he successfully guided the power club to the 2001 grand final and 2002 Challenge Cup.

Raper had coached Cronulla's 1994 Presidents Cup team to premiership glory and Peachey, while disappointed to have lost Anderson, said he'd welcome Raper back.

"I had the pleasure of being coached by Stuey when I first came down from Dubbo (in 1994). He's had a lot of experience since then – coached over in the UK – and I think he'll do a good job," said the former NSW State of Origin custodian.

Peachey said the Cronulla players had been behind Anderson, who had at least another year remaining on his $400,000-a-season contract before being shown the door, but everyone was now ready to put the long-running coaching saga behind them.

That included Phil Bailey, the NSW Origin and Australian Test star with the get-out clause in his contract.

Bailey today said he was "very disappointed" with Anderson's sacking, but was likely to remain with the club.

"I would like to stay a Cronulla Shark because I like the area and I definitely like the guys I play with," Bailey said.

"A lot of players only come to the club because of Chris Anderson, so we're all right behind him.

"But now I guess they got rid of him, so we've got to knuckle down and go their way now with whatever they decide."

Bailey's management met with the Cronulla officials today and, although the 23-year-old utility felt it had been a mistake to axe Anderson, his playing options are limited.

Having broken into representative football this season, most clubs consider Bailey an appealing prospect, but most have also already completed their recruiting for 2004 and wouldn't be able to squeeze him under the salary cap.

Especially on an upgraded deal as a rep star.

"If I really had to go, I'd love to go to Balmain (Wests Tigers) because I was a Balmain supporter as a kid," he told Sydney radio 2KY today

But the Tigers are among the clubs unable to afford Bailey, who has been linked to a possible move to neighbouring St George Illawarra.

Anderson, meanwhile, would be seeking up to $1.2 million compensation from the Sharks should, as expected, he take legal action.

Under his contract, had he guided the Sharks to next season's finals, he could have stayed at Cronulla for a further two more years.

Australian Rugby League boss Geoff Carr today confirmed Anderson's credentials as national coach would not be affected by his not coaching at Cronulla.

Anderson said last week after returning from England, where he oversaw the Kangaroos' 3-0 whitewash of Great Britain in the Test series, that he would reconsider whether or not to reapply for the national post if he wasn't coaching the Sharks.

mullet

Juniors
f**k me dead
I get back from a awesome week of schoolies and i hear this news
im not convinced one little bit