What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sharks cap superthread - latest: NRL clears Flanagan to assistant coach from 2020

flippikat

Bench
What the hell happened there?

Newtown? A while before my time.. but from what I gather, a combination of weak finances & a proposed move to Campbelltown (that may have been a lifeline) which fell through.

Actually kinda sounds a bit like North Sydney's fate - only substitute Campbelltown for Gosford..

carcharias

Immortal
Why did it take the NRL so long to investigate and take action? Amatuer hour from the NRL

They needed time for the sharks to come forward and dob themselves in first.
Then they had to alert the media
Then they had find the emails
Then they had to alert the media
Then they had to tell the club
Then they had to start the investigation.
After they first told the media they were going to start the investigation.

These things take time.

nick87

Coach
Interesting times... Feels like the Sharks have these issues every few years and nothing ever comes of it in terms of folding

But if they do fold, so be it, the NRL needs to stop bailing these clubs out. Let them die a natural death and move the licence to a location and market that can survive long term and is of benefit to the code.

Someguy

First Grade
Interesting times... Feels like the Sharks have these issues every few years and nothing ever comes of it in terms of folding

But if they do fold, so be it, the NRL needs to stop bailing these clubs out. Let them die a natural death and move the licence to a location and market that can survive long term and is of benefit to the code.

Another location and market in Sydney?

Generalzod

Immortal

You see nick I don’t follow the NRL I follow a team if my team is to fold Rugby league will be dead to me....most Sharks supporters will feel the same

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
You see nick I don’t follow the NRL I follow a team if my team is to fold Rugby league will be dead to me....most Sharks supporters will feel the same

2pbucp.jpg

nick87

Coach

Yep, I get that, I’d feel the same way.
There is EVERY chance given the value my club brings to this league and it’s comical management structure at some point I’ll go through this very thing with the Raiders.

But sometimes that’s the way it goes. The NRL can’t keep bailing clubs out of mismanagement

nick87

Coach
The unfortunate reality of this, is if the sharks folded and the NRL let them

A lot of sharks fans would leave the code. Many of them might even take their kids with them... some might even get to the grandkids... but mostly the fans lost will be regained in time, and a team in say Perth, and the fans brought into the game via that probably offsets the short term loss

Now obviously the best outcome is the Sharks figure out a way to save themselves, and that’s probably what they’ll do, they’ve always found a way to survive when these issues have cropped up before.

The following was posted late this afternoon on the NRL's website. Gives a lot of detail about what Flanagan did and the extent of it -

Flanagan flouted the rules within weeks of 2014 suspension
Author: Margie McDonald Senior Reporter
Timestamp: Wed 19 Dec 2018, 05:24 PM

Within weeks of the NRL handing a 12-month suspension to Cronulla coach Shane Flanagan and telling him not to have any contact with the club, the 53-year-old was sending emails to Sharks officials.

It was December 2013 that the NRL suspended Flanagan, fined the club $1 million and deregistered head conditioner Trent Elkin over the 2011 supplements scandal.

But by January 2014, or a month into his suspension, Flanagan started contacting people within the Sharks over training arrangements, coaching department structures, negotiations with player agents, discussing player retention and recruitment, and even approving a few press releases along the way.

One specific exchange was trying to get Raiders half Blake Austin to the Sharks.

The NRL's forensic look at emails sent by Flanagan from January to September 2014 – when he was allowed back with a three-month discount for completing all the approved governance and team management courses – showed he was consistently and constantly breaking the rules of his ban.

All up, the NRL collected five pages of email communications and descriptions.

In April 2014 the Sharks even contacted the NRL to see if Flanagan's suspension could be relaxed.

If there had been only a handful of indiscretions, then maybe a smaller fine and suspension would have landed on Flanagan's shoulders.

But the NRL feels the length and depth of the breaches have struck at the integrity core of the game.

Consequently, on Wednesday the NRL not only reinstated the $400,000 fine it suspended from the $1 million back in 2013, it added a further $400,000 and moved to cancel Flanagan's registration.

NRL chief executive Todd Greenberg was asked if Flanagan had been coaching "by stealth".

"I wouldn't describe it as that. I would simply say there was a very specific directive given to Shane and the club," he said.

"They knew and were crystal clear on what the requirement was and they decided to not do that. We have to act when we’re provided with that information."

He was also reluctant to predict if Flanagan could make a return to NRL coaching at some time in the future.

"Look that's a speculative question that I can't answer today until I see his response, with all the information in front of us," he said.

Flanagan has until the end of January to submit his appeal to the sanction. The other Sharks officials involved are no longer at Cronulla and are not currently employed by any other club, which is why they escaped investigation.

NRL chief operating officer Nick Weeks was asked how his Integrity Unit team found the 2014 email trail, when they were ostensibly investigating some alleged salary cap breaches by the Sharks in 2015 and 2017 – self-reported by current Sharks CEO Barry Russell.

Weeks said there had been no tip-off from within Cronulla to search back and find them.

"We'd been assessing a range of material from the club, looking at some salary cap matters that involves lots of internal communications with the club, interviews with other people," Weeks said.

"We identified this contact between Shane and the club during this period that he was excluded."

Greenberg said "a number of other people" had been interviewed regarding Flanagan's emails, but he declined to provide names.

He did invite Flanagan to come to the NRL on Wednesday morning to talk over the breach notice before it was made public, but the coach declined.

Russell and current Sharks chairman Dino Mezzatesta did meet with Greenberg to be given an overview of the reasons for the penalties. He then, in turn, telephoned Flanagan to inform him. Russell and Mezzatesta were not at the club in 2014.

"I won't share with you the conversation, that should remain private, but it was a short conversation," Greenberg said.

Flanagan was re-signed by Cronulla in March 2014, or three months into his suspension. Greenberg said the NRL had given the club permission to have those conversations about his contract.

Flanagan, with 185 games since taking over from Ricky Stuart in 2010, was extended again in 2016 until the end of 2019.

If he had completed next year he would have surpassed John Lang (206 games) as Cronulla's longest-serving coach.

But Flanagan still did something the other 17 coaches did not – win the Sharks their maiden premiership (2016).

Still, accolades were far from Greenberg's mind on Wednesday.

"I can't tell you how frustrating it is to be here again proposing penalties for breaches of the game's rules," he said, referring to the sanctions on Parramatta in 2016 and then on Manly in 2017.

"Across these two matters, we removed the registrations of seven club officials. So it's extremely disappointing that clubs are looking to gain an unfair advantage by deliberately flouting the rules."

After Flanagan, Greenberg also announced the impending deregistration of Wests Tigers CEO Justin Pascoe for the separate matter of Robbie Farah's remuneration details.

"I want to issue this warning. It is clear that the penalties imposed by the NRL are not deterring some clubs from trying to cheat the salary cap or breach the rules to gain an unfair advantage.

"The [ARL] Commission has therefore asked me to review the penalties for salary cap offences. That means looking at increased fines, increased suspensions, and stripping clubs of competition points.

"We will do, and we will take, whatever steps are needed to protect the integrity of our competition."

Latest posts