What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sharks rule out safe haven if Carney and Roosters part ways

Poss

Juniors
WHEREVER Todd Carney ends up next year after his seemingly inevitable split with the Sydney Roosters, it will not be at Cronulla.
There has been speculation that the Sharks could pick Carney up despite his history of alcohol-related indiscretions at the Roosters, and at Canberra before that, but the Sharks chairman, Damian Irvine, says there is no chance of that happening.
''Never even close to being serious,'' Irvine said yesterday, when asked whether Cronulla were interested in the wayward star. ''We're not interested in signing him, and we won't be interested in signing him [if Carney parts company with the Roosters].
Advertisement: Story continues below
''Shane [Flanagan, the Cronulla coach] doesn't want to get involved either. We're not disrespecting Todd as a footballer, but I don't think the reasons need to be outlined. I think he needs to get himself better and sort himself out before he gets on with his football.''
Flanagan said if it was simply a case of considering Carney, the footballer, it would be a no-brainer, but the reality was much more complex.
''Anyone would like to get his ability on the field, but there is a lot of stuff you would have to deal with along with that,'' he said. ''We haven't considered him, and there are no plans for that to change.''
Carney has been stood down from the past three games for the Roosters, after being caught out drinking with teammates Nate Myles and Frank-Paul Nuuausala despite the team having agreed on a two-week alcohol ban. Myles, who is joining Gold Coast next year, has since been sacked, while Nuuausala has been reinstated to first grade team.
Carney will again be missing when the Roosters close their season against Melbourne at Sydney Football Stadium tomorrow night.
The Roosters last week delayed a decision on Carney's future until the end of the season, after the player and his manager requested an extension before having to face the club's board, or a board-appointed disciplinary committee. Carney is contracted to the Roosters until the end of next season.
The Roosters chief executive, Steve Noyce, yesterday indicated an outcome was likely to become known late next week, adding: ''No formal date has been set, but the Dally Ms [awards] are on Tuesday and our club presentation night is on Wednesday. It's not certain, but if you ring me around this time next week, I could probably give you an update.''
The Herald understands the most likely outcome is still that Carney has played his last game for the Roosters. The possibility he could play for the French club, Les Catalans, in the Super League next year remains a genuine one, and it could well be that Carney and the Roosters part by mutual agreement in the end, without the club having to sack him.
Meanwhile, Manly's media manager, Peter Peters, will travel with the team to Brisbane for tomorrow's game against the Broncos at Suncorp Stadium, despite having originally been stood down by the club as a disciplinary measure for making a sexist comment to a female television reporter on Wednesday night

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...s-part-ways-20110902-1jq2x.html#ixzz1WrWwVA00

imasharkie

Coach
we needed a classy backline player and Carney was going to be available.
Guess the club doesn't want to attract a better grade of player. Pomeroy was probably resigned.
oh well same ole shyte again next year.

A class centre is definitely a priority, I feel we're doing alright with our halves, they can oly get better.

DJShaksta

First Grade
Silly IMHO.
Quality player - we shoulda chased him on an incentive based contract - the more games he plays without alcohol related incident the more $$ he can earn.

f**k Pomm - his run on the last tackle last night only highlighted how low his awareness is.

imasharkie

Coach
Confirmed.
Two years

well that does it. all the hoo haa about signing quality backs from Flanagan and what happens, we get the quality of Ben Pomeroy.
I said I wouldn't renew my club membership next year if Pomeroy was resigned, well I saved myself $100 now.

Since 73

First Grade
'Shane [Flanagan, the Cronulla coach] doesn't want to get involved either. ''We haven't considered him, and there are no plans for that to change.''

Great stuff Shane.

We had one 'Player of the year' in Preston and fortunately our then supercoach punted him from the club.
Preston then went and won a title at Penrith.

So it makes perfect sense our now supercoach would not be interested in a 'Player of the year' either.

I know one thing, come round 1 in 2012 - Give me the choice of either Flanno as part of our club or Todd carney it's a no-brainer.

sharknows

Bench
Despite all of Carney's ability I think it would be a mistake to sign him. He's a loose cannon that can't be tied down. The fact that his Rooster team mates don't want him anymore is enough for me. I don't go for all this footballer role model stuff but this guy is bad bad news.

RgSharks

Juniors
At first I thought he would great to have but after thinking about it I don't think it's a great idea.
We simply can't afford to bring him over and then he plays up. It would put the nail in our coffin.
I have it on good word that he doesn't want to come to the Sharks anyway.

Since 73

First Grade
Just sign him and get it over with.
It's a footy club not a dating service.

So the bloke drinks - there's something new. hands up if you hate a beer.

Our priority is winning footbal games - we are a football club. And he is the best footballer on the market.

Manly came 2nd - Stewart and watmough and Matai - never sacked.
You just 'press speak' until the next front page headline.
There's generally one a fortnight.

jc155776

Coach
I was for signing him.

I then heard that his teammates and coaching staff did not want him.

That pricks the ears quite a bit.

Possibly something more to that groin injury as well, could be very chronic or a high chance of being a problem a lot.

bluey

Bench
As much as i would like him we cannot afford more trouble, and i would want a centre more

Ausguy

Coach
there is simply no way the club would go near him... its a no brainer.

the club is trying to steer clear of any player fk ups altogether, buying him would be like pulling the pin and dropping the grenade.

Since 73

First Grade
Just sign him.

Of course it's gonna end badly.

It's Todd carney for fuggs sake - it's been ending badly for a decade.

But before that hapopens he might just do what he did for the Rorts.

Get us to the GF.

It'll be in his contract if he stuffs up and we cut him we owe him nothin' so it's a win win.

Just unload Pom and collis to warrington and sign him.