What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sharks snare young half

cheese

Bench
http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,24324467-23214,00.html

Sharks net young half
By Darren Walton
September 10, 2008

WITH one eye on the NRL finals and the other on the future, the Sharks are abuzz with excitement after unearthing a rare talent to hopefully fill the boots of departing half-back Brett Kimmorley.

Eighteen-year-old Jason McGrady - the nephew of former Rothman's Medallist Ewan McGrady - is joining Cronulla on a two-year deal after inspiring Orara Valley to a dramatic Group 2 grand final victory over Woolgoolga in Coffs Harbour.

McGrady bagged two tries, including a spectacular 85-metre solo effort, in the Axemen's 19-18 extra-time triumph at Woolgoolga Sports Ground.

While the precocious teenager, along with fellow 18-year-old Axemen recruit Nick Reid, will join Cronulla's under-20s program, the street tip is that Sharks coach Ricky Stuart is planning to blood McGrady alongside Trent Barrett during the second half of next season.

“There's been very good reports on him and he's certainly been identified as a player of the future,” Sharks chief Tony Zappia said.

“Ricky has seen him on tape and is very impressed with what he's got to offer and he's very hopeful that he's going to come through the Toyota Cup and obviously next 18 months play first grade.”

Hailing from the same country division as Melbourne Storm superstar Greg Inglis, McGrady is viewed by the Sharks as another little gem.

Sharks talent scout Craig Wilson says he especially admires the young aboriginal's skill and toughness.

“Probably the beauty of Jason is that he's one of those kids that's just a natural footballer and what excites us is that he's pretty willing on both sides of the game,” Wilson said.

“He doesn't stay away in defence. He just puts his body in as much as when he gets the ball, which is a good sign. He's certainly got some qualities.

“He's got the attribute of speed and skill combined with putting his body on the line.

“So that's a good thing to have at that age.

“And the things he does, he does with a fair bit of class and the more you watch him, the better you think he could be.”

McGrady's father, Jason McGrady Snr, played for the Bulldogs in the early 90s and, along with the rest of the family, is moving to Sydney to support his son.

“He's got a good network behind him,” Wilson said.

“It will be a big adjustment for him, coming from Orara Valley to Sydney, but we're very confident that he'll do it.

“He seems to be pretty happy with it all.

“Also what's good for him is that he's playing that standard of football in the bush.

“The old man has also played at a high level and obviously the uncle.

“So he's obviously grown up with football, which probably explains why he can instinctively do things.”

With Kimmorley heading to the Bulldogs next season, Cronulla have moved quickly to shore up the halfback ranks, beating several other NRL clubs to snare McGrady and Reid.

“Between the two of them, they're both pretty handy footballers and they'll build up a bit of a combination, which is always important at that level,” Wilson said.

AAP

PJ

First Grade
Most of this years good players are eligible again as well and will be that much better.

cjs1822

Juniors
sounds all good but where it says about him being blooded in the second half of the season alongside barret, where does that leave buster?

Quigs

Immortal
Just a bit outside of this thread, wasn't this Groups Grand Final the GF where they had the big stink in the crowd resulting in a policewoman being allegedly punch or kicked into unconciousness (check me spellun)

Cheers
Declared Idiot #88
Quigs

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
If he is half as good as his old man & uncle then he will be a ripper. The 2 most talented footballers I have ever seen. But, then there is the city.

If he is half as good as his old man & uncle then he will be a ripper. The 2 most talented footballers I have ever seen. But, then there is the city.

Hopefully though Reefy with his family moving down with him the big smoke won't be as daunting for him as it others from the bush.

And I agree. Having played aginst his whole family at on stage, if he's in their league then we're onto a winner. A nippy smart little aboriginal half who can defend as well. I think I've seen one or two of those. Have we ever had one?

Inferno

Coach
It always sounds promising. Means nothing till he hits the big stage and I don't think there's a chance in hell he'll be picked for FG next year. Barrett, Seymour will be the first choice halves with Green as the back up.

Like K said though, be good if the under 20s got a decent half. Maybe lazy Karl might be forced to have a go.

gunnamatta bay

Referee
Just a bit outside of this thread, wasn't this Groups Grand Final the GF where they had the big stink in the crowd resulting in a policewoman being allegedly punch or kicked into unconciousness (check me spellun)

Cheers
Declared Idiot #88
Quigs

http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/policewoman-kicked-in-the-head/2008/09/08/1220725887704.html

Policewoman kicked in the head

Peter Hawkins
September 8, 2008 - 10:02AM

A female police officer has been released from hospital after being kicked in the head during a brawl at a rugby league grand final on the NSW North Coast.
Police say the officer tried to break up a fight between about 10 spectators at the game between the Woolgoolga Seahorses and Orara Valley Axemen at Woolgoolga oval yesterday afternoon.
She dropped her portable radio and was picking it up when she was attacked.

She collapsed and lost consciousness, and was taken to Coffs Harbour Hospital for observation before being released.
A 21-year-old Coffs Harbour man was charged with assault and was granted bail. He will appear at Coffs Harbour Local Court on September 29.
Inspector Tony Milner from Coffs etc etc........

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
make no bones about it. if he is a Mcgrady, he will be playing first grade within weeks. there will be no need building him up or anything like that, because he wont grow & he wont hang around to see if he does. These guys grow up & start playing against men when they are around 14 in the country. They dont get hurt, because they don't get caught.

cheese

Bench
7 Mcgrady
6 Seymour

13 Baz

f**k me ....the sharks might actually be fun to watch again

Special K

Coach
Baz played a bit of rep footy in the centres.. bye bye simmo!

rickys plan has been exposed!!!!

OMFG!!!

Latest posts