What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sheens quits

moller

Juniors
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/n...-years-in-charge/story-e6frfgg6-1226480601339

TIM Sheens has quit as Wests Tigers coach following a revolt from his players.

He reached a settlement with the club yesterday to walk away after 10 years at the helm.

Sheens told Tigers players and officials yesterday afternoon he was no longer going to be involved at the club, and speculation immediately turned to him possibly switching to the New Zealand Warriors.

It is understood Sheens reached a compromise payout agreement regarding the final two years of his contract.

A Tigers board meeting last night to decide Sheens' future was cancelled and the club is believed to be holding off on a formal announcement to allow Sheens to sort out a deal with the Warriors.

Under the terms of Sheens' contract, he was to be paid the full amount of his $450,000-a-year deal if he was sacked. But the club baulked at a parting payment of $900,000.

While Sheens told several players and officials of the news yesterday, it's understood that he chose not to tell club captain Robbie Farah and star Benji Marshall.

Sheens is also thought to have told his longtime colleague Brian Hyder that the football manager too won't be at the Tigers next season.

In recent days the pressure to oust Sheens became apparent as leading players openly expressed displeasure over the departures of club favourites Beau Ryan and Chris Heighington to the Sharks.

Sheens and the Tigers came to an agreement over the payout terms, while a new deal with New Zealand would likely cover the shortfall if it eventuated.

Sheens is keen to retain the Kangaroos job, presenting the curious situation where he could have to coach against a Kiwi side packed with his Warriors players should he take the Auckland job.

TIM SHEENS - TIGERS

Source: The Daily Telegraph

Candidates for the Tigers job include Melbourne assistant coach Kevin Walters and Manly and NSW assistant coach Matt Parish.

Sheens, who guided the joint-venture club to the 2005 premiership, is understood to have spoken to Warriors executives yesterday about a possible deal.

Warriors chairman Bill Wavish is expected to fly to London within days to discuss candidates for the coaching gig with club owners Eric Watson and Owen Glenn.

While the Tigers failed to make the top eight this year, the real problems began when Ryan and Heighington confirmed last week they were defecting to Cronulla.

Marshall was furious, particularly as he has a close relationship with both players.

He made his feelings known in an explosive confrontation with club chief executive Stephen Humphreys.

With popular prop Bryce Gibbs having departed last year, also to the Sharks, some of the remaining players felt the club was being ripped apart because of its inability to retain long-serving stars.

Magpies Forever

Juniors
Why am I not surprised? Teflon blames the players and chose not to inform some players inc far ah and Marshall. His 2 key players. Show how fractured he has made the place in his desperation to hang on. A new dawn for weststigers.

sensesmaybenumbed

Staff member
Don't crack the champagne yet chopsy, SMH reports otherwise

Also:

Coach Tim Sheens quits Wests Tigers after 10 years in charge

TIM Sheens has quit as Wests Tigers coach following a revolt from his players.

He reached a settlement with the club yesterday to walk away after 10 years at the helm.
Sheens told Tigers players and officials yesterday afternoon he was no longer going to be involved at the club, and speculation immediately turned to him possibly switching to the New Zealand Warriors.
It is understood Sheens reached a compromise payout agreement regarding the final two years of his contract.
A Tigers board meeting last night to decide Sheens' future was cancelled and the club is believed to be holding off on a formal announcement to allow Sheens to sort out a deal with the Warriors.
Under the terms of Sheens' contract, he was to be paid the full amount of his $450,000-a-year deal if he was sacked. But the club baulked at a parting payment of $900,000.
Source

Essentially the same story with a different headline.

However, over at the SMH, they have a similar story along with this speculation:

• 1:15AM Tuesday Sep 25, 2012

Purse strings could tie Sheens to Tigers

Date September 25, 2012 Brad Walter

SALARY cap problems and a shortage of money to pay out coach Tim Sheens have left Wests Tigers' preparations for 2013 in limbo.
A review of the club's 2012 performance is expected to recommend that the Tigers part ways with Sheens but the joint venture cannot afford to pay him $900,000 for the remaining two years of his contract.
In addition, the Tigers would have to find an estimated $250,000 for a new coach next season if they were to appoint a replacement untried at NRL level such as Matt Parish, Steve Georgallis or Peter Gentle.
An emergency board meeting set down for last night to discuss Sheens's future was cancelled but directors have been in regular contact since they decided last Thursday night to conduct a review of the Tigers' miserable season.
Advertisement
Since missing out on a place in the finals by two points, long-standing relationships at the Tigers have begun to unravel, and Sheens is believed to have lost the support of star players Benji Marshall and Robbie Farah.
While it has been suggested that relations between Sheens - the Australian coach - and Farah have not been the same since last year's Four Nations in England, Marshall had been a vocal supporter.
Just two weeks ago, the star playmaker wrote a column in The Sun-Herald declaring that he thought Sheens was still the best coach in the game and had the respect of the players ''in spades''.
However, the shock departures of the popular Beau Ryan and Chris Heighington to Cronulla and news that centre Blake Ayshford had also been told he was free to find another club appears to have changed that.
The Herald revealed last week that Farah would consider a move to Parramatta when his contract expires next season, while Marshall wrote in his column last Sunday that he was struggling to come to terms with the decision to allow Ryan and Heighington to leave.
Heighington was under contract but was seeking a two-year extension, and when the Sharks offered him a three-year deal, the Tigers agreed to release him.
After being offered a release a year earlier, the Central Coast-born England second-rower clearly didn't fit into Sheens's long-term plans.
Ryan had agreed to terms on a new three-year deal with the Tigers 10 weeks earlier. However, no deal was signed, and the Herald was told Ryan became frustrated at delays as he was trying to get a home loan.
When he discovered Heighington was going to Cronulla he decided to join him.
Tigers management has been criticised for not formalising the deal with Ryan but the Herald has been told that the club was not in a position to lodge a contract until it had resolved salary cap issues.
Under NRL rules, all contracts must be lodged with salary cap auditor Ian Schubert within two weeks of being signed, and he has reportedly refused to register a new deal for Manly's Brett Stewart for similar reasons.
Sea Eagles prop Brent Kite has been linked with the Tigers but the Herald understands club management disagrees with Sheens over signing another player over 30 after recruiting Braith Anasta from the Roosters.
The Tigers boast two of the best young props in the game in Aaron Woods and Matt Groat. The club won this year's under-18 SG Ball competition and has qualified for the grand finals of the under-20 Toyota Cup and NSW Cup, the latter through feeder team Balmain-Ryde.
Source

Also, Brent Kite. FML....

spearby

Juniors
thanks tim for for all the years but as they say its time ,i do hope you find a new club good luck

hybrid_tiger

Coach
The average Tigers fan is an embarrassment.

Just look at some of the comments on the DT article, little wonder some of them have voted for Royce.

Pistol_Pete

Juniors
This is honestly such a pricktease
It's like having the girl on the bed and she's down to her g string but trying to tell anyone that'll listen that she's a good girl and she `doesn't usually do this kind of thing'

Just get it over with for f**ks sake and if it is that monotoned geniused clown simmons then we should all head to CC and ensure he is driven out as well

Mascot Tiger

Juniors
Hopefully the payout wont hurt us in regards to signing the BEST coach available. I'm in favour of Steve Folkes, the three years he was at our club was our most successful (outside of 2005) he also has a relationship already with the players. Hopefully the Dragons don't stand in his way if he is offered the job

Once Dead

Bench
The average Tigers fan is an embarrassment.

Just look at some of the comments on the DT article, little wonder some of them have voted for Royce.

We could say the same for some of the anti-Sheens drivel on here...and some of the people here want Nathan Freakin Brown or Matt Who Parrish.

hybrid_tiger

Coach
We could say the same for some of the anti-Sheens drivel on here...and some of the people here want Nathan Freakin Brown or Matt Who Parrish.

We could also say that anyone who believes our new coach is automatically going to be the next Terry Lamb is f**king dribbler too, but that doesn't stop anyone, does it?

Pistol_Pete

Juniors
Yep anti sheens drivel. Fancy expecting to make the top half of a 16 team comp with the squad we had

We got belted by easts, twice, who detested their coach

What does that tell you ??

Once Dead

Bench
The drivel is associated with the vindictive and cult-like obsession that some people on here carry on with.

We have been belted by Easts prior to 2000! They have the wood on usand have always done so.

Btw, Hybrid....I agree Sheens needed to go...but give me someone proven and with the runs on the board.....don't give me some rookie or someone who won't have the respect of players due to past incidents...

All I want is a good option....if we don't get Folkes or better...this is a false dawn....I'm actually surprised that no one is pushing Georgallis ahhahahahahahahahaha

hybrid_tiger

Coach
Btw, Hybrid....I agree Sheens needed to go...but give me someone proven and with the runs on the board.....don't give me some rookie or someone who won't have the respect of players due to past incidents...

All I want is a good option....if we don't get Folkes or better...this is a false dawn....I'm actually surprised that no one is pushing Georgallis ahhahahahahahahahaha

You won't know if is a good option until 12 months down the track. That's all part of the process in appointing a new coach.

However, to automatically suggest any coach without experience is automatically going to be the next Terry Lamb is utterly ridiculous.

TroopyF

Juniors
I'm just hoping that there is some sort of sanity when writing up the contract for our next coach.

badav

Bench
coached the tigers to an overall losing record and 3 finals series in 10 seasons. on top of that some baffling salary cap management and strange recruitment and retention decisions. not too sure how many other NRL clubs would stand for that coaching record, not many i would hope.

Once Dead

Bench
You won't know if is a good option until 12 months down the track. That's all part of the process in appointing a new coach.

However, to automatically suggest any coach without experience is automatically going to be the next Terry Lamb is utterly ridiculous.

Terry Lamb...haven't seen that name mentioned lately.

TYGA

Juniors
Sheens needs to be congratulated for turning the club around on and off the field and most importantly giving us credibility as a merged club. Its time to move on and I hope management look to Anderson or Folkes. Cut the Roster talk we are overhyped and those that feel we have one of the best rosters in the league don't know football.