What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Shin Splints

Misanthrope

Staff member
Anybody got any advice for overcoming them?

As I've mentioned around the forum a few times, my girlfriend and I are in training for a half marathon. We've been running pretty regularly since about May last year (started with the C25K and progressed from there) and a lot of that has been road or pavement. Last year I ran in sneakers and I've had a pretty nice pair of Nike running trainers since November.

Anyway, of late I've begun experiencing problems with swelling and bruising in my shins after our runs. We're running three nights a week now, and the last two Sundays we've done lengthier runs (7km from St Leonards to Neutral Bay last Sunday, and 8km from St Leonards to the Botanical Gardens today) and afterwards my shins have been in a pretty sorry state.

Does anybody have any advice for dealing with them? I don't want to have to skip too many training sessions to rest up, but will if necessary. I went a week between runs last week and it seemed to work, but today's run just inflamed things again.

Your advice/experiences would be appreciated!

Spot On

Coach
I had this god awful problem around ten years ago. I didn't realise what I was doing to myself at the time. I'd never experienced or heard much about shin splints. I had what I thought was a bit of muscle soreness each week and so I continued to run. Over a number of weeks this "soreness" wasn't going away. However, I continued to run. I got to a point where I could not jog around for more than a few minutes because the pain was absolutely excruciating.

Now I'd like to think I'm tough (but am not) and can put up with a bit of pain but these f**king things bought tears to my eyes. As the name suggests, small splinters of bone start to cause immense pain on the insides of both legs and in my case I tried physio, having them rubbed out (very bloody painful), acupuncture and exercises aimed at strengthening the muscles in the lower legs. I was given a lot of advice (differing advice at times) but nothing worked as I had done too much damage. I had to stop playong sport for over 12 months. No running. So my suggestion to you is seek some medical advice and be very careful how hard you push yourself. If your in the early stages of pain maybe you can address them and continue to run without too many problems.

Good luck.

Thomas

First Grade
Get it looked at by a physio and also a biomechanics person (if you know of any). There used to be a running store that'd watch and film you running and work on your style.

I found changing my style to a more mid to front foot strike really helped. Oh, and wearing barefoot running shoes too.

yawn

Juniors
Get custom orthotics. I wish I did at a younger age. They cost like $500 but are worth it.

You go to a podiatrist. You walk up and down like the catwalk. The podiatrist takes some notes. You stand on this glass platform. The podiatrist looks at your foot souls on this angled mirror. You come back in a few weeks when you decide to pay the money. The podiatrist puts paper mache on your feet. They order these inserts and you come back in a few weeks and pay your $500.

Sometimes insurance can cover it.

Unless you have a major drug or alcohol addiction you should be able to find the $500 to pay for them every few years.

No one's feet are perfectly shaped and no one's shoes are perfectly shaped.

130kg bodybuilders swear by them as well.

Also throw out your shoes as soon as one side of the heel wears more than the other. I dont care if you go through 6 pairs of shoes a year, it is healthier for your feet.

Most people's feet and spinal shape is not perfect.

Last edited:

yawn

Juniors
Im flat footed as well.

Even people with very tall arches can get very tall arch support orthotics to help them.

I dont know the exact figures but if someone earns an average of $33,000 per year for 30 years in their working life. They will earn $1 million before tax over their life.

I think most average people can figure out a way to get $500 every 3 years to buy new custom orthotics.

Last edited:

bazza

Referee
I can be caused by your calf muscles getting too strong for your front shin muscle - due to the running you are doing

To help, you can strengthen the front shin muscle.

To do this, sit down and lift your toes up with your heal on the ground

Snoop

Coach
See a physio and if they don't help and the pain persists see another and then a sports doctor, etc. I've been basically out of action since April last year because what I thought was just a case of sore shin muscles was in fact both popliteal artery entrapment syndrome and anterior compartment syndrome in both legs. Was undiagnosed for 8 months and then they only suspected the artery problem and finally gave me a fasciotomy to fix the suspected compartment syndrome. Still not recovered from the surgery so I can't say the problem is completely gone yet but hoping to get fit again and lose my 'lazy kilos' soon.

Joker's Wild

Coach
I got these about 3 years ago. They would hurt at the start of a run, be fine in the middle then be painful again when I finished and cooled down. They were pretty sore to touch, especially low down on the shin.

They went away after I stopped running for about 2 weeks and gradually worked back up to running 4 times a week but shifted to trail running (running to, through and back from the local bush walking track) instead of on the road/footpath.

Trail running constantly shifts the angle of your foot and this strengthens the muscles in your lower leg and ankles, which is proven to help prevent lower leg over use injuries like shin splints. Running on sand is also a good alternative.

Also, a good pair of running shoes is essential. Dunlop KT26s from KMart will do more damage than money saved.

Thomas

First Grade
I used to get them a lot...then went to some expensive shoes which worked but I got back pain.

I then went to a physio who put me in touch with a running store who filmed me running etc. I got my stride changed and haven't had any pains for a couple of years now.

sovereign

Juniors
Run on grass with NO SHOES!

Seriously, once you learn to land on the ball of your foot and not your heel you will never get them again!

Thomas

First Grade
I've been 'barefoot running' now for 6 months. I'll wear the Vibrams most of the time but when I am running on nice smooth concrete or grass I'll take them off. My stride is great now and I have no leg or back pain. I have monkey like feet though...but having nubile toes and rough soles is a small price to pay.

I left my shoes at home last week but still went on my run in the city. Did 5km, fully barefoot on concrete, in 21 mins.

My only tip is start very slowly. Only run small distances. You need to change the way you run completely. Shorter stride and a faster cadence...and all with a mid to forefoot strike.

Joker's Wild

Coach
How many needles did you end up with in your feet at the end? lol

Seriously dude that is awesome. Hardcore stuff

I do weights at home barefoot and it has improved my balance on squats, deadlifts and thrusters enabling me to lift more.

Thomas

First Grade
Ha! None. Mind you, I was watching my foot falls very carefully.

I've started running off-road in Vibrams too. Its hard work at first but feels good after a while.

Misanthrope

Staff member
After taking a few years away from regular running, I've started back from scratch of late doing the Couch to 10k. Wouldn't you know it, these f**kers have sprung up again.

I did find that barefoot/Vibram running helped a bit with them, but the streets here in China are so filthy that it's impractical to use them unless I want feet soggy with sewerage run-off.

Can't wait to get back to Australia so I can buy some proper running shoes >_<

Glen

Bench
I was having problems with this for several years on and off. Saw a podiatrist and got fitted with orthotics which made a massive difference. Also bought some good running shoes from a store that films your running style and fits your orthotics to the right type of shoe.

Warming up properly and massaging your shins helps too. It's obviously important to build up general running strength before going too hard as well. I still get some shin soreness if I push too hard because I carry too much weight and go in too hard to soccer games but nothing like before