What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should Clint be allowed to play for USA?

Should he be allowed to play?

• No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

roopy

Referee
The proposed game between the Kangaroos and the USA Tomahawks at Yankee stadium in NY in December won't be an official test match - it will be an exhibition game.

Clint Newton would probably be the best player available for US selection, and it just seems to be unneccesarily damaging the game if Clint is not allowed to play.

I think he should be allowed to play because it is not an official test.

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
He is under suspension and I believe he shouldn't play. However, if this game doesn't count for his suspention and take a week of his suspension, then he should play.

northey

First Grade
hope clint can play.. i know he was really looking forward to it.. one of the first things i said when he was suspended was dam he can't play for the usa

macavity

Referee
if he is selected, and prohibited from playing due to suspension, it should count as a game off.

If they aren't going to give him a game off, then he should be able to play.

They cant have it both ways....!

I still cant believe he got 12 weeks. More than Bird and Williams.

And they dismissed the appeal.

You can tell the ex-players have no legal background..... :|

Misanthrope

Staff member
I don't know why an NRL suspension has anything at all to do with international rugby league. The NRL isn't the game's governing body, so why should one of its rulings effect the ability of another nation to field a competitive side?

Personally, I don't think international matches should be effected by club football. A suspension earned in the NRL should include NRL matches, trials, and State of Origin (an NRL event). Likewise, a suspension earned while playing for New Zealand or Australia should count towards international matches, and not NRL games.

Lor-ree

Juniors
Geez I hope so, definitly if it goes towards his suspension. If not, it'll just be practice for when he does come back.

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
Lor-ree said:
Geez I hope so, definitly if it goes towards his suspension. If not, it'll just be practice for when he does come back.

Practice. It will be 4/5 months before he plays again. I doubt the practice will serve him that well.

eddo

Juniors
chriswalkerbush said:
I don't know why an NRL suspension has anything at all to do with international rugby league. The NRL isn't the game's governing body, so why should one of its rulings effect the ability of another nation to field a competitive side?

Personally, I don't think international matches should be effected by club football. A suspension earned in the NRL should include NRL matches, trials, and State of Origin (an NRL event). Likewise, a suspension earned while playing for New Zealand or Australia should count towards international matches, and not NRL games.

That wouldn't work CWB. what about the old stager in his final international just going out & snotting blokes left, right & centre.
He knows he has plenty of club footy left, but will never play another game for his country.

All the governing bodies should honour each other suspensions - just like if you lose your drivers licence in NSW it should be suspended everywhere.

Razor

Coach
That wouldn't work CWB. what about the old stager in his final international just going out & snotting blokes left, right & centre.
He knows he has plenty of club footy left, but will never play another game for his country.

I believe in soccer international suspensions don't count towards club suspensions and vice versa. League should be the same

Misanthrope

Staff member
Razor said:
I believe in soccer international suspensions don't count towards club suspensions and vice versa. League should be the same

That's exactly what I was referring to. The NRL is not the game's governing body, regardless of what they want to think. Obviously there'd be exceptions to the rule for cases like the one eddo suggests.

antonius

Coach
Be good if he can play, the Knights should check if it counts towards his suspension, the problem is he may not be selected and the powers that be will prob say "we don't know if he would've been selected, so it doesn't count" The Knights need to check it out both for his interests and theres. The trial games count towards his suspension.

Kaz

junior
It won't be counted towards his suspension.

Plus I can't see them picking him anyway.

Latest posts