What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should the Tomahawks play Lebanon?

roopy

Referee
I believe the Tomahawks are again going to come to Sydney in the next pre season, and they have already talked to the Sydney based Greek team about a game, but what about a game against Lebanon.

The entire Muslim population of Sydney would love to see the Lebanese team give the Tomahawks a working over, so a great crowd would be assured.

The two things against it would be security concerns and the fact that the Cedars would be far too good for the Tomahawks, having beaten France last year.

I think the potential problems would be worth putting up with because of the headlines this game would generate for the International game.

Genghis Chan

Juniors
[quote="roopy"I think the potential problems would be worth putting up with because of the headlines this game would generate for the International game.[/quote]

I'm not too sure if it would generate that much in headlines in the US. Maybe just a 2 second report on SportsCentre if they are lucky and possibly a sentance or 2 in a paper or two, possibly 3 if they are lucky all around the entire states. They don't need to be promoted here, but teams go over there to promote them to the people of the states. Main problem comes down to funding trips there.

I don't know how much financial support the AMNRL gets. Some low-paid NFL players probably earn more money than an entire team over there. That's no attraction for them. The way to attract people over there would be to throw the game in their faces. Or even have another state of origin game over there at the end of the season. Yeah, so the season is long, throw a whole bunch of rookies over there, give them a chance to play "State Of Origin" and it will more likely attract attention over there from people than what the US playing Lebanon over here would.

roopy

Referee
Lord Reynoldson,
Getting decent publicity in America would be great, but it is just a pipe dream at the moment.
I think publicity in Australia is far more achievable at present, and it does have value.
The Americans benefitted in many ways from their tour of Australia last year, and these tours can happen every year if the Americans can generate enough publicity to attract a sponser. The last tour led to major stories in RLW, RLR, the Newcastle Herald and small spots on all the Sydney news programmes. If the Americans had 'JIM BEAM' or 'COCA COLA' or something sprawled across their playing strip, the sponser would have well and truely got their monies worth with the interest shown.

A game against Lebanon could bring out all sorts of publicity, some of it good, some of it bad, but the Americans would come out of it smelling of Roses however it went, so a sponser would get full value from any headlines.

Genghis Chan

Juniors
How does publicity in Australian papers help publicity in the US? The players would greatly benefit, but not the game overall in my opinion.

roopy

Referee
Lord Reynoldson said:
How does publicity in Australian papers help publicity in the US? The players would greatly benefit, but not the game overall in my opinion.
Baby steps (ie, take it a little bit at a time).
It would be great to take a giant leap forward, but it isn't feasible, so each step forward should be embrassed.
The Americans have only had a comp for about 6 seasons, and the first two or three seasons were a bit of a joke, so they need to develop in every possible way still, and developing the standard of their play is very high on their 'need to do' list, so 'development' tours of Australia are a huge positive.

Playing Lebanon will not make League the number one sport in America, but it will move the sport a little bit forward, which is good.