What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Show us on TV or show us the money: Raiders

Raider_69

Post Whore
While the Raiders are right to complain, the Storm have been treated far, far worse. Over the past 4 years Melbourne have dominated the competition, and apart from the Grand Finals, we have had maybe 2 or 3 other games over the four year period (including semi finals) shown on primetime free to air. I think there's been one Storm regular season game on free to air in primetime ever.

100% agree
the storm should be joining the Raiders in this course of action... they should be applying more pressure on the NRL to get NRL showed at reasonably hours in Vic.

Warriors should be aboard this thing too. The more clubs being screwed banding together to apply pressure, the better.

Firey_Dragon

Coach
As a neutral, Canberra are far more enjoyable to watch than the Dragons.

Campese > little choker sook boy Soward btw.

I enjoy watching Canberra play when they're on-song as well. Which was rarely this year.

I couldn't care less what you think of Campese or Soward. I personally think Campese is massively over-rated, he played well for a 10-15 game stretch in 08 and the media creamed themselves over him, he's been legless since.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
It's quite sad when you think about it, that there are other teams on the ladder well below the Raiders who get more time on tv that the Raiders themselves.
The Sharks and Roosters didn't get much FTA time in 2009 to be honest.

Johns Magic

Referee
The Raiders don't get Channel 9 games because they're boring as sh*t to watch and no one except Raiders fans give a f**k about them.

That's the crux of the problem.

lockyno1

Post Whore
Start winning games and signing key players, they you will get FTA. As a neutral fan if my team is not playing I want to watch the superstars of the comp. Put it this way I'd rather watch Jarryd Hayne than watch some yob in the Canberra side who is a honest toiler at best.

Grumpy Old Man

Juniors
I enjoy watching the Raiders go round each week even though I'm a Manly supporter. If they could just snare a couple more blue chip players to compliment there enthusiastic juniors, I think they would get more fta games. With the equal distribution of salary cap monies I can never quite understand there playing roster.

nrlnrl

First Grade
While the Raiders are right to complain, the Storm have been treated far, far worse. Over the past 4 years Melbourne have dominated the competition, and apart from the Grand Finals, we have had maybe 2 or 3 other games over the four year period (including semi finals) shown on primetime free to air. I think there's been one Storm regular season game on free to air in primetime ever.

are you talking about the times they're shown in Melbourne ? - I hope so, because they were on at least 6 times on Friday night in 2009 alone..

Perth Red

Post Whore
I wonder how much of that has to do with making sure the Storm are on live Fox games to get subscribers in Victoria? There is a reason News are so keen to keep them afloat, and a reason Ch9 in Vic refuse to show them. it is if you want to watch them and live in Vic you have to subscribe to Fox. Any coincidence some of the largest pay TV viewing audiences feature the Storm? Conspiracy or the truth? you be the judge!

MsStorm

Bench
I wonder how much of that has to do with making sure the Storm are on live Fox games to get subscribers in Victoria? There is a reason News are so keen to keep them afloat, and a reason Ch9 in Vic refuse to show them. it is if you want to watch them and live in Vic you have to subscribe to Fox. Any coincidence some of the largest pay TV viewing audiences feature the Storm? Conspiracy or the truth? you be the judge!

The truth no doubt.

I am one of those many suckers in Victoria who subscribes to Fox just to watch the Storm play their away games and to actually watch some live rugby league games for a change.

Edit: To those posters who find Canberra a boring team to watch, you must have rocks for brains.

Last edited:
Fiery Dragon said:
I personally think Campese is massively over-rated, he played well for a 10-15 game stretch in 08 and the media creamed themselves over him, he's been legless since.

Not legless, but has been carrying a leg injury ever since.

He's better than Soward, and this will be proved next year. If Soward was special, we would of kept him.

There's quite a few cool posters in this thread who look at things subjectively. And there's a few straight up haters scattered through the thread. We are not a boring side to watch. Elliott has been gone for a few years now, but it seems the stigma still remains.

Give us a fair go.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach

He's better than Soward, and this will be proved next year. If Soward was special, we would of kept him.

There's quite a few cool posters in this thread who look at things subjectively. And there's a few straight up haters scattered through the thread. We are not a boring side to watch. Elliott has been gone for a few years now, but it seems the stigma still remains.

Give us a fair go.

Hmmmm, werent you the one who implied that Englands lack of halves is because Aussies over there are taking spots in the Super League?

Brutus

Referee
We should be getting back to the situation whereby regional team games are shown in regional free-to-air markets, even if it's a replay of the game shown earlier in the night on Pay.

All Raiders games should at least be shown on local Canberra TV.

Same in NQ, Newcastle and GC.

_Johnsy

Referee
Start winning games and signing key players, they you will get FTA. As a neutral fan if my team is not playing I want to watch the superstars of the comp. Put it this way I'd rather watch Jarryd Hayne than watch some yob in the Canberra side who is a honest toiler at best.

I take it you didn't see any of their games this year. One of the best games of the year was the raiders v dragons game where they tore us a new one.

Dugan is a superstar in the waiting, they have some of the most exciting young players atm.

We are not the only team that gets ripped off in FTA coverage.

we were the most exciting team 2nd half of the 08 comp, yet we failed to get a FTA game in the 1st weeks of 09 and when there is 3 games on FTA a week that is p*ss poor.

I hope 9 lose the coverage rights , tell the truth I barely watch CH9 games , Fox's coverage sh*ts all over it.

Paullyboy

Coach
I take it you didn't see any of their games this year. One of the best games of the year was the raiders v dragons game where they tore us a new one.

Dugan is a superstar in the waiting, they have some of the most exciting young players atm.

This is the exact issue I raised earlier. Canberra actually do have some of the best young stars in the game, it's just that most people dont realise it because they aren't on channel 9 every other week.

I guarantee you if Mortimer played for Canberra, he'd be unknown by anyone other than absolute die-hard NRL fans. Because he plays for Parra he's as well known as most rep players.

Vic Mackey

Referee
This is the exact issue I raised earlier. Canberra actually do have some of the best young stars in the game, it's just that most people dont realise it because they aren't on channel 9 every other week.

we've been hearing that for 10 years now

Hmmmm, werent you the one who implied that Englands lack of halves is because Aussies over there are taking spots in the Super League?

I did mention Orford going to the ESL is taking away an opporunity for a young pom.

What are you trying to get at? I don't see the correlation.

Firey_Dragon

Coach

Give us a fair go.

He left the Raiders at age 16, plenty of guys slip through the system at that age, if you go by that logic then Michael Dobson is a better player than Soward :roll:. Excuses have been made for Campese his entire career, until he puts together one good season in it's entirety he'll always be over-rated. But I don't want to turn this into an ours is better than yours thread.