What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Simms Tata ?

Father Ted

First Grade
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Sans Serif]http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,20867,21861674-5012431,00.html[/FONT]

Godz Illa

Coach
Sounds dodgy for a few reasons. 1 - Haven't seen it mentioned or rumoured on any other news reports. 2 - He's under contract for 2008. 3 - It's a f*cked up decision that seemingly makes zero sense.

Southernsaint

Staff member
Godz Illa said:
Sounds dodgy for a few reasons. 1 - Haven't seen it mentioned or rumoured on any other news reports. 2 - He's under contract for 2008. 3 - It's a f*cked up decision that seemingly makes zero sense.

Granted, point one sounds a bit iffy. But, mate, it's Saints - points 2 & 3 are irrelivant when DJ Dousty is behind the decks...

Dragon_psa

First Grade
So we re-sign him last year for 2 seasons and now decide to let him negotiate with someone else so we can top up his next contract? Good one Dragons Inc.

f**king disgraceful.

borat

Bench
Or we payed overs for him last year. Is anyone here actually truely happy with his form in the last year? IMO he is a shadow of his former self from 2-3 years ago and puts in 1 good game with every 3-4 mediocre games. If we keep the same line up next year we can expect more of the same.

Southernsaint

Staff member
borat said:
Or we payed overs for him last year. Is anyone here actually truely happy with his form in the last year? IMO he is a shadow of his former self from 2-3 years ago and puts in 1 good game with every 3-4 mediocre games. If we keep the same line up next year we can expect more of the same.

Borat, I tend to agree with your assesment of his form.

This whole re-sign players, then release them while still paying part of their wage is starting to sh*t me though. Problematic across the whole League, but frustrating when it's your own club. It has the look of mis-management all over it.

borat

Bench
Maybe but this is how I see things. The most important signature we need is that of Ryles. You only have to look at how our team has performed without Ryles to see where we will be next year if he leaves. Sims to me is too soft for the Front Row and doesn't have the workrate required for the backrow. In a perfect world we should keep him for sure because the kid has potential but if it takes cutting him loose to resign Ryles I have no problem whatsoever. Every player no matter how good has a value under the salary cap and if we have payed overs for a 2nd rower then cut him loose.

Compare a pack of

Ryles
Woolford
Poore
Sims
Creagh
Young

to

Ryles
Woolford
Poore
Creagh
Houston
Young

To me there is f**k all difference there except Houston is on a fraction of what Sims is on.

Godz Illa

Coach
Southernsaint said:
Granted, point one sounds a bit iffy. But, mate, it's Saints - points 2 & 3 are irrelivant when DJ Dousty is behind the decks...
Yeah that's true, and I foolishly knew that when I mentioned them - I was clutching at straws. Point 1 is also out of the running because The Australian has another article on it today.

I will be sad to see Sims leave. When on song he is devastating - yes he is inconsistent but I put that down to being young and developing. It's puzzling that the club had enough faith in him last year to re-sign him for two years, then only six months the faith is gone and decide to dump him. What has caused this? I simply cannot fathom how the salary cap is squeezing so tight - from next year we won't be paying Barrett's $80k, and we've already dumped Wicks and Leaeno from next year's forward pack. Odd.

The other effects are worrying. Team morale. Sims is a well-liked member of the team, he even polled a vote in the captain election, and the report suggests he hasn't taken kindly to being shoved out out the door. Then there is the perceived value of a contract at Saints. If a long-term first grader and local junior is shunted out mid-contract how safe would external recruits feel?

borat I can see your point also, in fact my current best 17 has Sims on the bench and Scott, Creagh, Young in the back row. I'd still keep faith, take the gamble and keep him though. Perhaps this apparent cleanout is in preparation for a big coup and a prized external signature. Doubt it though.

Drew-Sta

Staff member
The problem with Sims is he doesn't know if he's a front rower or a second rower.

Whilst I'll agree his form has been down, the talent the kid has is enormous and to lose him would be to lost a kid I believe has a big future ahead of him.

Look at Sims and Creagh's form over the last 20 games. The pressure on these two 21 year olds is excessive and, when they had front rowers doing their jobs in late 2006, they had a huge impact wide of the ruck. Sims would help in field when required and made good yards.

Beginning of 2007, and without a performing front row, they're not sure what to do and Sims should have, in my opinion, moved straight to the front row and told to hit it up and stick to a no frills game to help others like Hunt/Houston the chance to get some experience.

Instead, Brown throws two inexperienced props in the mix and with Ryles hit and miss performances as well as injury I'm sure Sims doesn't know what the hell he's meant to be doing. The same goes for Creagh; Why an impact second rower like himself is being forced in field to do hard yards is ludicrous at best; Especially with his frame.

borat

Bench
The so called talent in our players is currently placing us in the bottom 3. I have been saying this all year, we are soft in the forwards. We have too many wide ruinning 2nd rowers or impact players and not enough prepared to roll up the sleeves and have a go.

If we keep the same roster this year for next year you can expect the same results. A mini clean out is required and if we need to cut a 2nd rower on a substantial wage then so be it. We have backrowers coming out of our aholes

Creagh
Young
Scott
Houston
Payne
Setu

Sims won't be missed. He has never been the same player since Newton clocked him with the elbow. Ever since he avoids the tough stuff and stays out wide. Look I do rate him but if as I suspect he is on a significant contract and is only able to play 2nd row effectively then cut him loose.

borat

Bench
Drew-Sta said:
The problem with Sims is he doesn't know if he's a front rower or a second rower.

Whilst I'll agree his form has been down, the talent the kid has is enormous and to lose him would be to lost a kid I believe has a big future ahead of him.

Look at Sims and Creagh's form over the last 20 games. The pressure on these two 21 year olds is excessive and, when they had front rowers doing their jobs in late 2006, they had a huge impact wide of the ruck. Sims would help in field when required and made good yards.

Beginning of 2007, and without a performing front row, they're not sure what to do and Sims should have, in my opinion, moved straight to the front row and told to hit it up and stick to a no frills game to help others like Hunt/Houston the chance to get some experience.

Instead, Brown throws two inexperienced props in the mix and with Ryles hit and miss performances as well as injury I'm sure Sims doesn't know what the hell he's meant to be doing. The same goes for Creagh; Why an impact second rower like himself is being forced in field to do hard yards is ludicrous at best; Especially with his frame.

Your comparison with Creagh is exactly why we should let Sims go. Creagh has gone from bench impact player to one of the best backrowers in the comp who plays plenty of minutes. Sims just hasn't gone on.

big pat

Coach
do you think doust maybe getting rid of sims because he is talking to some players that are off contract..like watmough or some other forwards that have been linked to our club.

borat

Bench
big pat said:
do you think doust maybe getting rid of sims because he is talking to some players that are off contract..like watmough or some other forwards that have been linked to our club.

I don't think so. I think its more a case of using Sims salary to re-sign Ryles & tie up the younger brigade that have come through the ranks like Chase Stanley, Josh Morris, Chris Houston, Dan Hunt etc. These guys would be on small contracts presently.

Drew-Sta

Staff member
borat said:
Your comparison with Creagh is exactly why we should let Sims go. Creagh has gone from bench impact player to one of the best backrowers in the comp who plays plenty of minutes. Sims just hasn't gone on.

Yes, but I think this is due to coaching and direction, rather than Sims just not being able to take it to the next level.

Creagh is a special talent that seems to be able to put himself into that next echelon with, it appears, little help. I don't know if Sims is the same.

I would want them to persist with Sims with the understanding he could become a strong front rower with great impact - As is his real position. He isn't a second rower, so I'm upset he is continually used as one when he clearly would be better suited to the front row.

borat

Bench
To me he shirks the tough stuff, never gets in and rolls his sleeves up. Prefers to pick his runs and likes being a wide running second rower. If we had the Ashton Sims from 3 years ago I would be as vocal as you at keeping him but the Sims we have today is not worth the money.

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
This is a good thread. I agree with Drew to a point about how he is being utilised, but I also like Borats point of view.

Ultimately, all we can do is pass judgment based on our point of views & opinions, whereas the coaching staff have intimate insight & base their decisions accordingly.

Personally, I was a big rap for Ash in 04 & am still a fan, but truth is he hasn't come on & I believe that we can cover him without too many problems. And if he does come along at another club then good luck to him. Beau Scott has a better workrate & is a better defender at what I would imagine would be lower $$$$$. I can live with a backrow of Creagh - Scott - Young next year.

Drew-Sta

Staff member
Funny thing is, I do agree with everything Borat is saying about Sims; I just wish the coaching staff could get out of him what we all know he can do.

I guess I'm one to persist with a player I feel is worth it, rather than cut our losses. I think this is more due to the fact that when you let players go like White, Kite etc due to the decision to stay with players like Sims etc, I am loathe to see Sims go on to have a brilliant future without having a big Red V on his chest.

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
I'm haering you Drew-Sta. But we must have perspective.

You bring up Kite & White. Kite by all accounts wanted to stay, but if you acn't get within 100k of a rival clubs offer, which is massive overs, what are you supposed to do? White was injury prone in his time with us & was no guarantee of getting a start any time soon. So we hardly "let them go". You can't expect players to stay for 100k less or to play Reserve grade. The players make choices too, not just the clubs.

Latest posts