What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Simpson, Mad Dog shelter from Storm

Pumba

First Grade
SEASONED internationals Steve Simpson and Adam MacDougall have been ruled out of Newcastle's game against reigning NRL premiers Melbourne at Olympic Park on Monday night.

Simpson and MacDougall are still struggling with knee injuries, and Knights coach
Brian Smith is not prepared to risk them against the Storm.

Keith Lulia will take MacDougall's place in the backline and Cameron Ciraldo will replace Simpson on the interchange bench, provided he recovers from a shoulder injury.

Simpson has not played since tearing medial ligaments in his left knee in the opening minutes of Newcastle's 30-14 round-one victory over Canberra at EnergyAustralia Stadium on March 15.

The 29-year-old NSW and Australian forward had hoped to return against the Storm but has now targeted the game against Wests Tigers at EAS tomorrow week for his comeback.

That would be a welcome boost for the Knights because they will be without any NSW Origin representatives likely to be captain Danny Buderus, utility Kurt Gidley and prop
Ben Cross for that match.

Simpson "pulled up a bit sore'' yesterday after training on Thursday and, after consulting with Knights medical officer Neil Halpin, reluctantly pulled out.

``It's just not worth the risk at this stage, but I reckon I'll be right for next week,'' Simpson said.

``I'm pretty close for this week probably 50-50 but with another week of fitness under my belt, I'd be a lot more confident next week.

``Hopefully we'll have a few blokes in the Origin side, so it would be good to come back next week and play against the Tigers.

``I've had enough of watching the boys play. I want to get back out there and start playing with my new teammates.''

MacDougall, who turned 33 on Wednesday, has a strained hamstring tendon and associated bursitis in his right knee, which he aggravated playing paintball with teammates on Monday.

He has trained with the team this week but has been hampered by the injury, which he first sustained against the Roosters at Gosford three weeks ago.

Ciraldo was injured in Newcastle's 13-12 victory over Gold Coast last Saturday at EnergyAustralia Stadium but has made steady progress this week.

The former Cronulla back-rower will be checked again at training today and tomorrow, and Mark Taufua is on standby.

Rookie centre Junior Sau is likely to be added to the squad if Gidley cannot back up after last night's Centenary Test.

The Storm had eight players involved in the trans-Tasman international. They face a medical examination when they return to Melbourne today.

LINK

Apey

Staff member
A blow but a good move.

God damnit Mad Dog just retire.

roopy

Referee
If Taufua doesn't play he will have sat out two straight games.
Training with firstgrade is probably good for him, but the guy needs to play.

Kazaf

Juniors
Tafua! Tafua! Tafua! Tafua! Tafua!
So we were playing with a 2 man bench last weekend against the Titans?
No Ciraldo and No MacDougall?

otori

Juniors
Ciraldo is becoming the new Tanner... He just keeps getting picked. At least he's not starting.