What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sims: Free to go

God-King Dean

Immortal
http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/articles/2007/06/08/1181089329926.html

Sims has dim view of Dragons' snub

By LUKE KEENAN
June 9, 2007

ST GEORGE Illawarra's plan to include Ashton Sims in a big clear-out of players has hit a hurdle, with Sims' manager Steve Gillis yesterday saying the backrower is entitled to stay put.

The Dragons re-signed Sims - to the end of the 2008 season - at the end of June last year.

But less than a year later the former Gerringong Lions junior, who is sidelined with a knee injury, has been told he is welcome to leave the club he joined in 2002.

Sims' snub follows fellow forward Danny Wicks signing with Newcastle last week and news yesterday that giant prop Charlie Leaeno will be a Bulldog next season.

It has also emerged that up and coming backrower Chris Houston is being chased by a number of clubs, including the Knights.

God-King Dean

Immortal
Another article.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,20867,21868131-2722,00.html

Dogs lead chase for rejected Sims

* Brent Read and Stuart Honeysett
* June 08, 2007

THE Bulldogs have taken the early running in the race to sign the latest victim of the clean-out at St George Illawarra, forward Ashton Sims.

As revealed in The Australian yesterday, Sims has been granted permission to leave the Dragons at the end of the year.

The Bulldogs have already opened talks with Sims, sidelined with a knee injury and unhappy with the Dragons' decision.

Penrith is also believed to have sounded out Sims. "He's obviously bitterly disappointed that the club has offered him the opportunity to go elsewhere, if he chooses to take that up," Sims' manager Steve Gillis said.

The Sims decision comes after winger Luke MacDougall was allowed to complete a mid-season move to join Newcastle and halfback Richie Williams was told he was free to leave at season's end.

Dragons prop Danny Wicks has also announced he will play with Newcastle next year and it's expected outside back Wes Naiqama will join him.

However, Sims is a different proposition given he is a local junior, having played with Gerringong on the NSW south coast.

The Bulldogs wasted no time homing in on the versatile forward. The Belmore-based club has already lost prop Mark O'Meley for next season while winger Matt Utai continues to ponder his future.

Sims' signature would arrest the bleeding at the club and quell some of the criticism that has been labelled at officials for allowing O'Meley to leave.

lol... if he does stay put for a year when there are first grade spots on the offing elsewhere then we'll know the right decision was made to let him go.

brendothejet

First Grade
ashton simms is rubbish.

Consistently fails to aim up when we need him to.

there is only so long you can hang your hat on potential.

Dragooner

Bench
The club made a statement saying he's free to go, or in other words, they want him out. Hopefully we can get rid of hi so we can make some cash to by a marquee forward. We need someone to make the hard yards when Ryles decides to play crap.

God-King Dean

Immortal
Cheesie-the-Pirate said:
I don't mean to go all Dodge-o on you, but there's already a thread covering this.

:lol: I thought Simms Tata was some polynesion I've never heard of so I didn't bother looking at the article.

*feels like a goose*

petetheileet

First Grade
lol the only reason i looked at that thread is cause it sounds like we were signing some monster polynesion

brendothejet

First Grade
Immortal said:
:lol: I thought Simms Tata was some polynesion I've never heard of so I didn't bother looking at the article.

*feels like a goose*

Ill join that train...

lol

Maybe we should get the scouts out to the islands and have a look for a Simms Tata. Could be an omen.

better yet has anyone got the tongan white pages?

God-King Dean

Immortal
It's a shame. I thought he turned a corner at the end of last year. He was just running hard & straight everytime he got the ball, running into gaps, putting grubbers through.

Dragooner

Bench
Immortal said:

*feels like a goose*

Exactly why i haven't posted on that thread, i thought who the hell is Sims tata and didnt even have a look!

gregstar

Referee
brendothejet said:
ashton simms is rubbish.

Consistently fails to aim up when we need him to.

there is only so long you can hang your hat on potential.
what he said but in bold type & capital letters.

Nugby

Juniors
Damn. I still think he's the most creative back rower we've got bar Young, and I'll be sorry if we let him go. If we can get Creagh, Scott, Young and Houston all in the 17 come a finals series I couldn't see much of a place for him though (Unless Young was at 5/8, Scott was in the centres or Creagh was moved to the front row again).

Latest posts