What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sleep

Bazzi

First Grade
Recently started a new job, I'm working the hours of 9:45pm to 5:30am, and I've just been finding it really hard to get enough sleep. I've been sleeping a maximum of 4 hours each day this week, sometimes the occasional hour's nap before work.

My job involves some heavy lifting and I still manage to get through the shift okay, but the lack of sleep is starting to catch up with me. Plus I still go to the gym for about an hour a day.

I just find it difficult to sleep during the day and now that it's nearing summertime, the heat makes it even harder.

Has anybody been in a similar position before and have any advice or tips on how to prolong my sleep?

How much sleep does the body need to stay functioning and keep healthy? How important is sleep?

Cheers.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
I do 9 12 hour night shifts a month, 3 at a time. I usually get 6-7 hours sleep during the day during these times. As soon as I finish a night I eat something (often leftovers from dinner before) and then straight to bed sleeping for as long as I can. When I get up I do a few things around the house or go for a walk for 2-3 hours and then have another lie down for a couple of hours. My biggest issue with night shift is not catching up on sleep through the day but sleeping at night when I'm not working.

Working nights really messes with you. You can't just reverse what normally do because your body is used to a diurnal lifestyle. Studies have shown that night shift workers tend to have shorter life spans.

One tip I have is keep clear of too much caffeine, avoid sleeping tablets if possible as they don't promote natural sleep and don't focus on how many hours sleep you are getting, the quality you are getting is what counts.

Pleasant dreams.

Bazzi

First Grade
I do 9 12 hour night shifts a month, 3 at a time. I usually get 6-7 hours sleep during the day during these times. As soon as I finish a night I eat something (often leftovers from dinner before) and then straight to bed sleeping for as long as I can. When I get up I do a few things around the house or go for a walk for 2-3 hours and then have another lie down for a couple of hours. My biggest issue with night shift is not catching up on sleep through the day but sleeping at night when I'm not working.

Working nights really messes with you. You can't just reverse what normally do because your body is used to a diurnal lifestyle. Studies have shown that night shift workers tend to have shorter life spans.

One tip I have is keep clear of too much caffeine, avoid sleeping tablets if possible as they don't promote natural sleep and don't focus on how many hours sleep you are getting, the quality you are getting is what counts.

Pleasant dreams.

Thanks for the advice.

I do have a cup of coffee or a Red Bull sometimes just to keep myself awake and alert at work, caffeine doesn't usually affect my sleep, but doing all these little things might add up and help me be able to fall asleep and for longer periods.

Also, now that it's the weekend, should I catch up on sleep and go to bed early tonight. Or stay up till 5:30 so I can get used to my new sleeping pattern?

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
When I go off nights I tend to still go to bed straight away but limit the hours to 4 or 5. Then stay up until your normal bed time.

The odd red bull or coffee won't hurt but I've seen people guzzling both down all night and then complaining that they can't sleep the next day.

Desert Qlder

First Grade
You need to find a dark room to get the best sleep. Invest in some shutters or heavy duty curtains in your sleeping room.

It is not often I do a night shift but when I do I prepare well. I have young children and toddlers running around the house is a killer trying to sleep in the day. But fortunately I have a sympathetic mother-in-law who let's me sleep at her house in a very darkened room, and this made a great deal of difference. Replicating night time as best you can will allow you to sleep better.

Go straight to bed when you return home, with food in the belly preferably. If you can get six to seven hours you are doing really well. But another trick to getting through your shifts is to sleep for an hour in the evening before heading off.

Take care on the roads also at the end of your shift. In my industry it is not unheard of to lose people on the roads driving home in the morning from fatigue.

Be sure to eat really well and be very easy on the caffeine. As stated night shifts are not healthy and you have to manage it if you plan to do it for any length of time.

I hope the money is good by the way.

Im on night shift at the moment. Its gayer than aids.

My roster can be any 8 hour period in a 24 hour day and has no consistency. It does mess with you.

Bazzi

First Grade
Thanks DQ, that's some really helpful info, appreciate it mate.

About to head off to sleep now, I'll give those things a crack and see how I go.

The money is the only reason I'm working night shifts, looking forward to my first pay day.

urban eel

Juniors
one tip i found handy when doing night bar work was to use tin foil over the bedroom window to make it darker and easier to sleep
but the only other thing i did that helped was to reduce the stimuli before you want to go to sleep
no TV, smartphone,internet etc

_snafu_

Immortal
one tip i found handy when doing night bar work was to use tin foil over the bedroom window to make it darker and easier to sleep
but the only other thing i did that helped was to reduce the stimuli before you want to go to sleep

This is good advice for sleeping well at anytime.

sportive cupid

Referee

...didn't you ever think of using an eye mask?

Bazzi

First Grade
After being off the night shift for nearly a year, I'm back on it again.

First night and already worked overtime, was up 30 hours straight and just got 3 hours sleep, just heading off to start my next shift now.

Gotta get used to this again, this shit can't be good for me!

alien

Referee
I just find it difficult to sleep during the day and now that it's nearing summertime, the heat makes it even harder.

close the curtains and window, and get an airconditioner in your bedroom ;-)

i read somewhere that your body removes toxins from you brain, but when you sleep it gets rid of it around 8 times quicker, so if you dont get enough sleep you might not be getting rid of enough toxins, which can increase your chances of getting alzheimer's disease, brain cancer etc later in life. we are supposed to get atleast 8 hours sleep per night...so on that note im now going to :sleeper:

Bulldog Force

Referee
Recently started a new job, I'm working the hours of 9:45pm to 5:30am, and I've just been finding it really hard to get enough sleep. I've been sleeping a maximum of 4 hours each day this week, sometimes the occasional hour's nap before work.

My job involves some heavy lifting and I still manage to get through the shift okay, but the lack of sleep is starting to catch up with me. Plus I still go to the gym for about an hour a day.

Has anybody been in a similar position before and have any advice or tips on how to prolong my sleep?

How much sleep does the body need to stay functioning and keep healthy? How important is sleep?

Cheers.

Watch ASMR Relax Role play videos on YouTube on your smart phone - find a scenario that will relax you. These things are good at putting your lights out pretty quickly.

I just quit my nightshift job. I went through periods where I slept 8 hours easily in the day and then days where I could only sleep 2-4 hrs. My 3 big tips are:

*Blackout your windows as much as possible. Give your bedroom the illusion that its night.
*Stay off caffeine as much as you can. I know thats easier said than done when it's 3am and you're running on empty.
*Buy this thing called Sleep from the chemist. It's a drink from a company called Quick Beverages. They have one for Energy and one for sleep. Just make sure when you take it, you are prepared for a long sleep. It sent me to sleep for 12 hours lol.

Latest posts