What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sloan

OneEyedDragon

Juniors
o Negative: Dragons fans dont realise what they are missing with a proper hardened fullback in attack and defence.. Turuva would have been that for us.. we have been stuck in this loop of 2 bad games follow by 1 'half decent game' for Dufty or Sloan for so long now.. after a good try... everyone goes bananas and says "I told you so".

o Negative: Same thing happened when Ramsey was on the scene.. most of the fanbase hated his guts based on 2 dropped bombs in his first few games.. when he got his chance after braining it in cup... the calls were 'he's taking Sloans jersey.. what about Tyrells feelings?' Even Jack on the RedV was calling it every week... hes flipped now but it takes way too long to change a fans view on a fave (or hated) player... the coach has to move faster than that.

o Positive: However.. I actually dont care about the not taking bombs stuff so much.. if its statistically a better option and the coach and team are aware of it (and support accordingly).. go for it.. I had the same view on Corey Normans short dropouts.. the Walker brothers did the stats on this stuff.. its common now but fans lost their mind at the time.

o Positive: I still dont think we can drop Sloan, I think we have to just keep backing him, however by missing Turuva now we are truly in a dark place because we are walking into 2025 with just Sloan again as our only option bar Allan which I dont think is going to be much of an improvement.. and no Lomax either who does a lot of Sloans work.. I dont think we have the option to drop him.. so I think we have to just keep backing him... and being active on the recruitment market at the same time.. we need a 2nd option.
Good points @TheRev . I am a big Sloan supporter. He can be an absolute joy to watch in attack and I was prepared to give him plenty of time to develop in other areas. He comes across as a terrific young man, but being aggressive doesn't seem to be a natural part of his personality. I believe he is trying hard to overcome his natural non aggressive inclinations but it is still very much a work in progress. At the moment his play reminds me too much of Matt Dufty - brilliant in attack but not so good in defence. Matt never did improve his defence. Will Sloan?

dungay dragon

Juniors
Good points @TheRev . I am a big Sloan supporter. He can be an absolute joy to watch in attack and I was prepared to give him plenty of time to develop in other areas. He comes across as a terrific young man, but being aggressive doesn't seem to be a natural part of his personality. I believe he is trying hard to overcome his natural non aggressive inclinations but it is still very much a work in progress. At the moment his play reminds me too much of Matt Dufty - brilliant in attack but not so good in defence. Matt never did improve his defence. Will Sloan?
Watch the tapes re Turuva ....
Brilliant on his feet , silky quick but no idea on Defence ,,an absolute turnstile,,
Sounds familiar with all the young "superstars" coming throiugh

Carlton

Juniors
Sloan tackled Butcher when he made his break, he allowed Sualii to take a bomb and then wrapped him up, he is not getting ragged dolled and was not steamrolled by a big forward while first defender on the line.

To criticise him for not sprinting back after tackling Butcher is harsh, he did a hell of alot of running in that game as Walker moved him around with his kicks. It would be more productive to ask where was Lomax or Tuipolotu, they should have been back helping. In fact I dont think either of them effectively helped Sloan defuse kicks much the whole game.

OneEyedDragon

Juniors
Sloan tackled Butcher when he made his break, he allowed Sualii to take a bomb and then wrapped him up, he is not getting ragged dolled and was not steamrolled by a big forward while first defender on the line.

To criticise him for not sprinting back after tackling Butcher is harsh, he did a hell of alot of running in that game as Walker moved him around with his kicks. It would be more productive to ask where was Lomax or Tuipolotu, they should have been back helping. In fact I dont think either of them effectively helped Sloan defuse kicks much the whole game.
Where on earth do I criticise Sloan for not sprinting back after tackling Butcher? Maybe you should actually read a post before you criticise the poster, or maybe even make sure you have the correct poster?

Carlton

Juniors
Where on earth do I criticise Sloan for not sprinting back after tackling Butcher? Maybe you should actually read a post before you criticise the poster, or maybe even make sure you have the correct poster?
My apologies, I hit reply instead of making a fresh post. But i stand by the main point of the post which is that Sloans defence is improving and he is developing.

Reece Walsh is younger than Sloan, how is that possible? Sloan still has the training wheels on yet Walsh is established and arguably the best fullback in the NRL.
Laws of Nature, some are just born with superior athleticism others must work much harder.
He also appears to have a sublime ability to get away with the application of mascara - go figure!

Jealousy' a curse - Envy is worse :)

Laws of Nature, some are just born with superior athleticism others must work much harder.
He also appears to have a sublime ability to get away with the application of mascara - go figure!

Jealousy' a curse - Envy is worse :)
Quoting myself? Is that a sign of madness?

Just watching the Tigers play Brisbane

REECE WALSH - I repeat - Jealousy' a curse - Envy is worse!

Another bloody Queenslander!
They should all be drug tested

KogarahWarrior

Juniors
Reece Walsh is younger than Sloan, how is that possible? Sloan still has the training wheels on yet Walsh is established and arguably the best fullback in the NRL.
Walsh was just as bad if not worse at the Warriors than Sloan is. Then he came to Brisbane surrounded by the best players in the world and started to really stand out. Fast, agile fullbacks like Walsh always dominate the game when they play behind an excellent forward pack and halves who know what they're doing - particularly a halfback that has some creativity and doesn't spend all game fingering his bum and running the same play on every set

Crush

Coach
Walsh was just as bad if not worse at the Warriors than Sloan is. Then he came to Brisbane surrounded by the best players in the world and started to really stand out. Fast, agile fullbacks like Walsh always dominate the game when they play behind an excellent forward pack and halves who know what they're doing - particularly a halfback that has some creativity and doesn't spend all game fingering his bum and running the same play on every set
Really? I remember watching the warriors live at Kogarah and thinking Reece Walsh was their only good player. He looked like Billy Slater.
I’ll take your word for it though, I didn’t watch many warriors games back then.
He just runs so fricken hard and fast now though, he’s great to watch.

TheRev

First Grade
I feel like we are stuck in some sort of groundhog day time-loop since 2017 when Dufty skipped reserve grade and debuted (he would have been found out in nsw cup at a big name club).. the fullbacks who will make it in the NRL are obvious early.. because they have no fear.. the errors can be fixed, we are not looking for perfection.. they can grow into the role... we just want a base level of toughness.. because you cant really learn that.. you basically need a screw-loose to play first grade in the NRL...

Bula and Walsh are tough... Faalogo hits like an axe.. Jye Gray for souths.. same thing.. these kids were like 19-20 and it was already there.... little blokes but they hit HARD....if you watched the g/final yesterday, Tyler Peckham-Harris who looks about 12yrs old...with his scything cover tackles, putting big blokes on their ass front on, i've seen him make 2 tackles in the same play on multiple occasions.. hes a literal terrier... he's been doing it all year even on a bung leg...puts everything into every run in attack also... absolute 1st grader mentality.. crazy try assists.. but I dont know how he will go against even bigger bodies or how much growth he has in his body (but I'm hopeful).

Flanno is backed into a corner though.. if he had another option, Sloan would be perfect as cup fullback while the younger blokes come thru, but he is stuck, and he just lost Turuva as his plan b... so it may well be that Sloan is the only option for 2025.

Mojo

Bench
Exactly! I recall his deplorable performances with the Warriors.

AyiosYiorgos

Coach
I feel like we are stuck in some sort of groundhog day time-loop since 2017 when Dufty skipped reserve grade and debuted (he would have been found out in nsw cup at a big name club).. the fullbacks who will make it in the NRL are obvious early.. because they have no fear.. the errors can be fixed, we are not looking for perfection.. they can grow into the role... we just want a base level of toughness.. because you cant really learn that.. you basically need a screw-loose to play first grade in the NRL...

Bula and Walsh are tough... Faalogo hits like an axe.. Jye Gray for souths.. same thing.. these kids were like 19-20 and it was already there.... little blokes but they hit HARD....if you watched the g/final yesterday, Tyler Peckham-Harris who looks about 12yrs old...with his scything cover tackles, putting big blokes on their ass front on, i've seen him make 2 tackles in the same play on multiple occasions.. hes a literal terrier... he's been doing it all year even on a bung leg...puts everything into every run in attack also... absolute 1st grader mentality.. crazy try assists.. but I dont know how he will go against even bigger bodies or how much growth he has in his body (but I'm hopeful).

Flanno is backed into a corner though.. if he had another option, Sloan would be perfect as cup fullback while the younger blokes come thru, but he is stuck, and he just lost Turuva as his plan b... so it may well be that Sloan is the only option for 2025.
"the fullbacks who will make it in the NRL are obvious early.. because they have no fear.. the errors can be fixed, we are not looking for perfection.. they can grow into the role... we just want a base level of toughness.. because you cant really learn that.."

100%

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
Saw Sloan run the ball hard with an angry look on his face for the first time...
Hope your right ol mate about the look of anger on Sloans face.....I noticed it as well but just put it down to he had wind at the time.....I hope the kid doesnt opt for Duftys trick when hes faced with a two on one defensive decision and go for the intercept to avoid making a tackle.......I have a lot of time for the kid but must admit at times he is very late turning up in defense particularly near our goaline ...let's hope as he matures more that will be eliminated