What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

So where to from here?

siv

First Grade
Its interesting looking at soccer and how they deal with it

After a visit I was astonished that we had two clubs Everton and Luverpool with two big home grounds basically 1km apart

So geography alone is not a reason for success

But they address the issue of a club being a Tier 2 or 3 club via promotion / relegation

But how grants and contracts work is the issue with that model

Pommy

Coach

After a visit I was astonished that we had two clubs Everton and Luverpool with two big home grounds basically 1km apart

But they address the issue of a club being a Tier 2 or 3 club via promotion / relegation

It's a lot easier to have a national league in England than it is in Australia. Due to distance you get away support everywhere and even home fans drive considerable distances every other week if they are not from the area. That's not as simple in Australia.
Poms also get out and support teams you use Liverpool as an example. Those two teams will each get a better attendance on a bad day than when you get when two big Sydney teams play each other in a normal league game.
They will be paying easily double the price of an NRL ticket whilst getting paid lower wages for the most part as well.
To some extent attendances are protected from TV. The traditional 3pm Saturday games are not allowed to be shown on live TV in the UK for instance. Although with foreign broadcast available online that's not as greater protection as it once was.
I don't think people know how lucky they are to live in Sydney where you can go home and away most weekends to an elite sport competition that is extremely affordable.

Last edited:

CC_Roosters

First Grade

On the relegation issue, most player contracts will have a relegation wage drop or get out clause depending on the status of the player. Imagine getting nrl players to agree to that. The grants i imagine would not be allowed to differ to greatly but definitely no salary cap in a P/R league system, the only limit on spending could be as a percentage of revenue but that would mean the broncos are streets ahead.

P and R could work in the NRL, would only need to have the two tiers lets call them NRL and NRL2. Eventually aim for 2x12 team leagues with full home and away and maximum involvement from all playing regions i.e everybody or close enough to it is represented. I would start by keeping the current 16 team format but open up licence applications for an 8 team NRL2 without promotion amd relegation to start. Give the NRL2 2-3 years of stability with the 8 teams then start relegating 2 teams down per year until we balance at 12 teams in each tier. When that is acheived promotion and relegation can start normally.

8 licences ahould be for- 3 x QLD, 2 x NZ, 1 x WA, 1 x NSW, 1 x PNG

Perth Red

Post Whore
Emotion aside a NSW make up of:

Penrith - far west in Penrith
Bulldogs & Eels - West Sydney in new stadium
Tigers - SW Sydney in new stadium
Souths Inner Sydney - New Moore Park
St's - South coast - New Moore Park and Wollongong split
North Coast Eagles or Roosters (let them bid for it) in Gosford with handful of games in Sydney
Knights - Hunter

8 NSW teams covering the main population centres would be about right. Not going to happen though, NRL are content with suburban clubs rather than a capital city National comp.

reanimate

Bench

North Coast Eagles or Roosters (let them bid for it) in Gosford with handful of games in Sydney
Knights - Hunter

8 NSW teams covering the main population centres would be about right. Not going to happen though, NRL are content with suburban clubs rather than a capital city National comp.

Why do you believe west and south-west Sydney both deserve representation, but you're fine with no north Sydney team? North Sydney is being under-utilised, not over-utilised, and Gosford is an age away from the majority of northern Sydney.

alien

Referee

Knights - Hunter

8 clubs in nsw (including canberra) is the number i came up with too.

3 western sydney clubs covering:
- the penrith area
- the parramatta area
- the liverpool and macarthur areas

3 eastern sydney clubs covering:
- the inner city area
- the cronulla sutherland and illawarra areas
- the north sydney, manly warringah, and central coast areas

then newcastle and canberra

alien

Referee
Then why not ship the basket case that is wests tigers(magpies) out of the city and make Bulldogs western Bulldogs? Makes no sense to ship out a performing club.

so you're suggesting maybe having the perth magpies, and the bulldogs covering the canterbury bankstown area and the liverpool macathur areas? that's a big area. i'm sure the bulldogs would love that idea, lol

From my observation of living in the Liverpool area I would guess Bulldogs are already the prevailing team in this area.

liverpool is a part of the western suburbs junior district, although i agree that a lot of bulldogs fans live in the area.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Why do you believe west and south-west Sydney both deserve representation, but you're fine with no north Sydney team? North Sydney is being under-utilised, not over-utilised, and Gosford is an age away from the majority of northern Sydney.

Population reach. Clubs should be covering regions of 500k- 1mill people to ensure a spread of the game and sustainability of clubs. North shore population is around 250k, CC around 350k. In order not to be the small cousin any Sydney club wanting to be in the NRL needs to have a target population bigger than either of those individually so hence the need to combine the region for one club.

Pommy

Coach
so you're suggesting maybe having the perth magpies, and the bulldogs covering the canterbury bankstown area and the liverpool macathur areas? that's a big area. i'm sure the bulldogs would love that idea, lol

liverpool is a part of the western suburbs junior district, although i agree that a lot of bulldogs fans live in the area.

I dont pretend to have the answers I just know its a daft idea to relocate the team with the best attendance in Sydney to the other side of the country when theres other clubs that a shambles. It doesn't really make sense does it? Wests Magpies don't even exist as an NRL club so theres no logic to having them and booting out Bulldogs and Roosters who are the most internationally recognised side I would guess.

Diesel

Coach
Problem the NRL have is there are two teams in the Kograh/Sutherland area and no teams from the Harbour Bridge to Newcastle while the one team that's in northern Sydney is tucked away on a peninsula.

Central Sydney is stuck with Roosters, Souths and 1/2 of the WT but at least the Roosters are branching out to the Gosford area.

Once Balmain lose their control, the team should be based at C'town for 7 games and the other 5 against bigger drawing clubs at ANZ.

The NRL is just happy to hand out cash to failing clubs to keep the status quo, realistically I can't see much changing anytime soon

Last edited:

alien

Referee
I dont pretend to have the answers I just know its a daft idea to relocate the team with the best attendance in Sydney to the other side of the country when theres other clubs that a shambles. It doesn't really make sense does it?

i can understand that point of view too. i just think there should be certain areas in sydney that should be have it's own nrl club. for example, if all the western sydney clubs were poor and all the eastern sydney clubs were rich, and some sydney teams had to relocate so there could be expansion, i wouldn't move all the western sydney clubs just because they weren't as rich or successful, because there are areas in western sydney that should have it's own nrl club

alien

Referee
Problem the NRL have is there are two teams in the Kograh/Sutherland area and no teams from the Harbour Bridge to Newcastle while the one team that's in northern Sydney is tucked away on a peninsula.

Central Sydney is stuck with Roosters, Souths and 1/2 of the WT but at least the Roosters are branching out to the Gosford area.

Once Balmain lose their control, the team should be based at C'town for 7 games and the other 5 against bigger drawing clubs at ANZ.

The NRL is just happy to hand out cash to failing clubs to keep the status quo, realistically I can't see much changing anytime soon

it's a mess

Pommy

Coach
i can understand that point of view too. i just think there should be certain areas in sydney that should be have it's own nrl club. for example, if all the western sydney clubs were poor and all the eastern sydney clubs were rich, and some sydney teams had to relocate so there could be expansion, i wouldn't move all the western sydney clubs just because they weren't as rich or successful, because there are areas in western sydney that should have it's own nrl club

So you would move successful clubs thousands of miles rather than across city?? Your already talking about moving them what does it matter if its 20 miles or 2000? If fans in suburbs can't be bothered to back their teams now why punish fans from successful clubs when you could just move them a little? Chances are they will be playing at ANZ anyway.

alien

Referee
So you would move successful clubs thousands of miles rather than across city?? Your already talking about moving them what does it matter if its 20 miles or 2000? If fans in suburbs can't be bothered to back their teams now why punish fans from successful clubs when you could just move them a little? Chances are they will be playing at ANZ anyway.

that is an option too

Latest posts