What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Solving the diving epidemic...

Cockadoodledoo

First Grade
Yet, the 2013 Grand Final there was no diving. Well done Easts and Manly for having good ethics!

It is the culture of Easts and Manly, play the the game hard but fair (Maybe Matai excluded :lol:). Souths and the Bulldogs culture is built on lying and cheating and in particular Souths simply relying on handouts be it from Governments for all the grounds they want to redevelop from taxpayers and the NRL's money or referee's to blow them penalties when they are in trouble. Perhaps they are a great team but we will never know if they are or not.

Vic Mackey

Referee
It is the culture of Easts and Manly, play the the game hard but fair (Maybe Matai excluded :lol:). Souths and the Bulldogs culture is built on lying and cheating and in particular Souths simply relying on handouts be it from Governments for all the grounds they want to redevelop from taxpayers and the NRL's money or referee's to blow them penalties when they are in trouble. Perhaps they are a great team but we will never know if they are or not.

Bahahahaa love it.

I must admit I believe the roosters are the only team that doesn't lay down to get a penalty

The Engineers Room

First Grade
The solution is that the second video ref watches his own telecast that he can control and checks every tackle. They would then alert the ref if an incident takes place whilst the next play happens then they stop the play and go back to it. Add to that players that go down hurt must leave the field for say 2 minutes. Foul play and they get the free interchange otherwise they just have to go off and burn an interchange.

I also think that any player put on report should be in the bin for a mandatory 5 minutes with the referee allowed to make it 10 for bad ones or even sent off.

pHyR3

Juniors
Simplest solution is, give all power back to the 2 onfield refs. I think stick with the 2 ref system but rework because its not working as bill harrigan (the implementer) intended. If they see it happen, it's a penalty. If not, coach gets 2 or 3 wrong challenges a game. He can challenge if he likes. Going down will not result in the video ref checking the tackle.

I think the best thing about a coaches challenge, is that you could probably set up 2-3 TVs in the coaches box all with different angles being live streamed there simultaneously. With several assistants and the head coach, i reckon they can challenge extremely astutely.

Do the same with this bunker idea, it will likely lead to quicker decisions with greater consistency since only say 2 people decide every video ref decision.

rabbitohs95

Bench
Yep, no video ref during the game and the judiciary can only give charges after the game has finished

Frailty

First Grade
Three options:

1. No video ref review during the game. Yes, some tackles will be missed, but it wouldn't give incentive for players to dive.

2. Penalties for embellishment - In Ice Hockey (and whats somewhat starting to happen in soccer) players will get penalised for diving even if a foul has been committed against them - both the offender and the diver will be penalised.

3. Compulsory player replacement for 15 minutes - You go down and play is stopped due to a penalised high shot - you go off the field for minimum 15 minutes.

cooko

Juniors
I can still see players being coached to exploit the rules.

A player will just start to hold their knee or shoulder knowing they we're hit high. In the time it takes for them to recover we get 2 replays and then a penalty.

I agree with the earlier points. The on field refs call the game and the match review crew worry about anything they missed.

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
something has to be done...

basically as long as you can delay anything at the moment u have a chance...

That hit on tyrell on sunday was ruled play on, by the ref, but as it was a high shot, it became a tyrell knock on,,, i mean wtf... get knocked out, then lose the feed ????

No video ref at all except tries..

I'm leaning towards the mandatory "injury" free interchange where someone stays down for say 30 seconds (regardless of what caused it), that way legitimate injuries can be dealt with off-field (including the concussion tests and whatnot) to let the game carryon, and 'milking' would be discouraged otherwise you're off the field until your coach has to sub you back on.

They did this in 1987 with the "head bin". It in the end became laughable as players started pretending they had a knock so their team could get a free interchange - Bob Fulton exploited it to the max that year in the Grand Final with Paul Shaw. They got rid of the rule because of how it was being rorted by supposedly "concussed" players. You can't put it on the coaches to enforce it as few would do it properly.

seanoff

Juniors
I think better to make all players who stay down leave the field for a mandatory SCAT test.

If you take a knock to the head to the point that you claim to be unable to regain your feet then I think it's fair and reasonable that you be examined for concussion in the name of safety.

He amount of people laying down will drop to almost zero instantaneously

It is getting soccer like. Go down like you have been shot, get rewarded for it. Altho now they are supposed to card you for "simulation" in soccer

Make the SCAT test time 10 or even 20 mins too.

The video ref can look at the incidents while play continues and if serious enough take it back and give the penalty. An advanced advantage rule.

They had a problem in the AFL in the 90s where people were being told to go down, bring out a stretcher which auto stops play, fart about, carry guy off, wasting 5 minutes. Bloke recovers as soon as stretcher off the ground and runs back on. Coaches were using it to stop the other team if they had some momentum. So its now minimum 20 mins of game time off the ground. So after that the only guys getting carried off are actually pretty badly injured or knocked out.

League is a game of position and possession. This diving is a really cheap way of getting both. It needs to be stopped

Evil_Mush

Juniors
Yeah, I did think about the exploitation of free interchanges, but couldn't be arsed thinking about a fair solution to that, maybe a max number (2? 3?) of injury interchanges per game and then you're just unlucky? I dunno how one would decide a fair number.

cooko

Juniors
The other thing I noticed this year was how many big forwards managed to somehow get concussed at about the 25-30 minute mark in games.

Well played...

DURRRHURRR

Juniors
Video ref with multiple angles on display of the game. If he sees anything suspect live presses a button and gets the last 5 seconds replayed at full speed. If it looks bad get in the refs ear and call a penalty if not sure play on. If its just off one quick look then there is no benifit to staying down as it will be looked at anyways, and one replay at full speed means we won't see as many called when its just a slight brush across the face.

Also a little bit off topic but still about avoiding delays, I don't want too see players being put on report anymore, we have the MRC for that. Player should only get called out by the ref if he is going to be binned.

TheVelourFog

First Grade
Video ref with multiple angles on display of the game. If he sees anything suspect live presses a button and gets the last 5 seconds replayed at full speed. If it looks bad get in the refs ear and call a penalty if not sure play on. If its just off one quick look then there is no benifit to staying down as it will be looked at anyways, and one replay at full speed means we won't see as many called when its just a slight brush across the face.

yeah good one. The video refs definitely need to be able to control their own feed at all times

pHyR3

Juniors
the problem with going with on field refs, and leaving the rest to the commitee is a lot will get missed.

thats why i like a coaches challenge, they can have multiple angles on the tackle live (with glasses, TVs etc.) and challenge. takes pressure off refs too

Lambretta

First Grade
I'd back Danish's suggestion as well. Force them from the field for a SCAT test and a mandatory 5 minute spell and they won't dive.

It's a joke when Morris gets tackled just before he hits the deck and acts like he's been hit by a sniper and Sam Burgess breaks his face in the first hit-up of the game and has to pretend he isn't hurt.

Under concussion rules players are forced from the field to have concussion tests. I'd just enforce these.

Players have to leave the field and undergo a series of tests

They would not be able to return to the field for the rest of the half they left in.

They'd soon stop lying down

Tommy Smith

Referee
Exactly.

The way Josh Morris lied down in the GF, he would surely have to undergo a concussion test IF his injury was legitimate.

You don't collapse to the ground like that unless you're seriously hurt, or diving. And given that referees can't accuse players of diving they should be instructed to undergo a concussion test.

the problem with going with on field refs, and leaving the rest to the commitee is a lot will get missed.

thats why i like a coaches challenge, they can have multiple angles on the tackle live (with glasses, TVs etc.) and challenge. takes pressure off refs too

The on field refs are hopeless and miss far too much foul play.

If I was a coach I would also tell my players to lie down every time they feel they are hit high, 99/100 times the video ref will give you the penalty. Penalties are important in the modern game and I for one are not blaming the players or coaches from using this tactic.

The fact is many of them are very high shots that the idiots in pink totally miss, I have no trust in the refs so giving the control back to them is useless.

I think many people want to punish the player that is on the end of illegal play by making them leave the field. That is going to far.

The only way to stop diving would be to have better refs that don't miss so much and is unlikely to happen any time in the near future.

The on report system is stupid in my view as it makes refs take the easy way out and put a guy on report instead of sending players off.

I think if you go on report you should be given an automatic 5 minute sin bin, it may stop a lot of the high shots creeping into the game.

bottle

Coach
Exactly.

The way Josh Morris lied down in the GF, he would surely have to undergo a concussion test IF his injury was legitimate.

You don't collapse to the ground like that unless you're seriously hurt, or diving. And given that referees can't accuse players of diving they should be instructed to undergo a concussion test.

They can do concussion tests on your leg now?
Awesome.

Latest posts