What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Some people are just disgraceful...

Iafeta

Referee
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11640750

The sister of the late Sonny Fai is asking NRL fans to think twice about how they use social media, after a Facebook post which has caused "great sadness and shock" to her family.

On Tuesday evening a post from an account in the name of Ben Small linked the Warriors' current poor form with a joke in poor taste about the death of Fai seven years ago.

Fai was a highly promising Warriors centre and back rower who drowned at Bethells Beach on January 4, 2009, after trying to rescue family members who were caught in a rip. His body has never been found.

Sister Lalelei Fai said her first reaction to the post was a mixture of "pain and anger".

"My blood was boiling...I was so pissed," said Lalelei.

"I thought `How can you use my brother's picture like that. It was so disrespectful."

"But it also made me really upset. January 4 was playing in my head again...it all came back to me again. And I was worried about the rest of the family seeing it...my son just saw it when he walked in the room. He asked me `why would someone do that?'. I didn't know what to say."

Lalelei added that Fai's mother Tausili, who only joined Facebook a few weeks ago, was in tears when she stumbled across the offensive message.

"She was crying," said Lalelei.

"Asking me why he would use Sonny's picture..why is he making jokes about that? I warned Mum before she joined Facebook that there are some strange people out there, but she wanted to keep in touch with family and friends."

Continued below.

Lalelei says that while the family have moved on with their lives, the pain of their loss is still very real.

"To be honest, it crosses our mind all of the time," said Lalelei.

"It's something that's always there..something you never really forget."

Lalelei says that's part of the reason most of the family lives across the Tasman now.

"It wasn't really a planned thing to come over here," said Laelei.

"One day [in 2011] Dad just got up and left, he decided to move. And we all eventually followed him. I guess there was a feeling that if we left New Zealand it would help to move on."

The post also attracted comment from some former teammates on Facebook.

Former Warriors captain Ruben Wiki said "Definitely not appropriate whoever you are" while George Gatis disapproved, saying "Would love to discuss this post with you personally."

When contacted by the Herald, Warriors Managing Director Jim Doyle said the post was "highly disrespectful to Sonny and his family."

However, Lalelei also hopes that this event might make people reconsider how they use social media.

"I've always felt for friends when there is some nasty post or something but it is not until it happens to you that you realise what's it's like. It's a horrible, horrible feeling."

But in the middle of typing an angry response to Small she reconsidered, after seeing Sonny's photo again.

"I looked at Sonny's amazing smile in that photo and I thought `he would be like - forget it," explained Lalelei.

"There is enough hate in the world. What are we going to get out of it by responding...by dragging ourselves going down to his level?"

"So all I am going to say to him (Small) now is God bless you," said Laleilei.

"God bless you and your family. I wish you happiness and I truly hope something like this never happens to you."

What a disgraceful act, let the family move on and let Sonny rest in peace. Full credit to Georgey and Ruben. George was a very underrated player, good bloke.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
I haven't seen the post and I don't want to. To me, it shows everything that is wrong about society and the internet. We invented this thing that should be used for the greater good, to communicate with the world, do business better etc...yet its predominance is used for insulting, degrading, fighting, trolling, all that stupid shit that comes along with it. I now completely ignore Facebook comments on public pages - they are an absolute breeding ground for idiocy.

Kinda goes for here too. I certainly don't post anything I wouldn't say to someone's face in a debate in a pub or anywhere else. Why should an online life be any different?

Shaun Hewitt

First Grade
Guy deserves an uppercut.

PW - It's why I had to get out of contact centre work in years gone by.
I found people were too comfortable in the safety on the other end of the phone, or in this case behind their screen. Once you lose the face-to-face, some people think its a free ride to be as rude or as obnoxious as possible.

gUt

Coach
and then just in case anyone missed it, they make a news story out of it.

Skinner

Coach
Yeah, I saw the disgusting post when the snake eyed wanker put it up. I offered the appropriate advice to the poster at the time. I don't think he/she realised the strength of feeling that is around.

vvvrulz

Coach
I haven't seen the post and I don't want to. To me, it shows everything that is wrong about society and the internet. We invented this thing that should be used for the greater good, to communicate with the world, do business better etc...yet its predominance is used for insulting, degrading, fighting, trolling, all that stupid shit that comes along with it. I now completely ignore Facebook comments on public pages - they are an absolute breeding ground for idiocy.

Kinda goes for here too. I certainly don't post anything I wouldn't say to someone's face in a debate in a pub or anywhere else. Why should an online life be any different?

PW - It's why I had to get out of contact centre work in years gone by.I found people were too comfortable in the safety on the other end of the phone, or in this case behind their screen. Once you lose the face-to-face, some people think its a free ride to be as rude or as obnoxious as possible.

Absolutely true, even dates back to the old MSN Messenger days where morons talked themselves up behind the comfort of anonymity.

Now, god damn, youtube comments and facebook have been all but utterly destroyed, esp Facebook which doesn't have a down-vote system, the baiters get to the top. I'm a cricket fan, if you want a cynical laugh check out the Cricinfo & Cricket Australia facebook comments. Almost every thread descends into racial abuse.

News websites not much better, I really enjoy a read of the Stuff.co.nz comments sections though, generally get good insight of what people 'really' think.

Luckily LU is pretty clean.

Blair

Coach
...Luckily LU is pretty clean.

LU is really well moderated. For example you can't use the eff word, that's a great start. I don't use f**k in general conversation but I do like that it's off-limits anyway.

Last edited: