What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SOO 2 = NSW 13+ .... again

The Informer

Juniors
QLD will be stronger. Game 1 losers always bounce back and Bennett will create more bounce than most. Their team changes are positive, Price starting gives work rate, Norton adds some additional (and needed) attacking options, especially down the left short side. Hodges defensive strengths a loss, and I'd expect NSW to attempt to target attacking raids at Carroll's side (he ain't any younger or mobile). Any injury or injury hindrance to Lockyer is a massive worry for them. I don't expect it to be close to matter but the goal kicking pressure for Crocker is a worry in his first origin game. The use of Bowen off the bench will be interesting, Bennett taking a leaf out of the Gould / Wing super sub book.

NSW will be stronger through confidence and combination. Many lessons should have been learnt, especially the use of the footy through hands as opposed to kick scoring options and the attacking of the edge of the ruck via Johns, Wing and Minachello (again around Ikin). And add attacking plays at Carroll.

QLD have two problems. 1). Restraining NSW. They know NSW will put 20 points on them, and if they get going they could make it 40…... 2). Scoring 20 odd points, cause that’s what they’ll need (as well as having restrained NSW) to win. A tall ask as I just can’t see that they have the right personal.

For mine it'll be a matter of when not if for NSW. QLD still have a pedestrian look to their forward play, a rookie hooker (general passing game) who is also prone to stupid penalties and a reliance on Lockyer for attack / points. NSW to again try and take the tempo to QLD and throw plenty of attack at them (with more through the hands) and set plays. If NSW are on song (read not over confident) and begin to get a roll on it could get ugly.

NSW with comfort.

salivor

First Grade
QLD don't have the right personal for scoring points? Sing, Berrigan, Lockyer and Tate are all in the top 10 try scorers this year or there abouts.

The problem in game 1 is that Berrigan was extremly quiet. I thought it was quite a good ploy to have Ikin to run to the line but I'd expect Berrigan to take over this role for game 2. He needs to lift and show some of that club form because hes extremly good at knowing where the play is.
Hodges and Bowman going down and having used half our interchanges by halftime meant we were always going to struggle in the backend of the game and thats exactly what happened.

I think theres some good changes in the side. I like Price in the starting lineup the most. Hes no use on the bench, Carlaw is a much better option there.

NSW can attack Carroll all they like but hes said hes ready for it and is one of the hardest hitters in the game. His defence is just as good as when he left in 2000. Hes probably past his days at centre but my only worry of him being there is his attacking abilities rather than his defence.

If Bowen adds impact, QLD don't get injuries and the defence tightens I'm confident they can take the series to a decider but if Lockyer is seriously restricted by this ankle Injury their chances start to diminish somewhat.

The Informer

Juniors
Well rain and a wet track weren't in my equation a few days ago, must be the conspiracy theory coming through to even up the series. Gould made comment on radio this morning (which supported Bennett's yesterday) that he was quite surprised at the wetness on the stadium surface yesterday (before the rain started). Rain started around 9pm last night and has continued on this morning and is forecast throughout the day.

Certainly evens the contest up, if anything will suit the simple go forward, no error, field position game of QLD. The wet conditions should see Wing used alot from dummy half as opposed to 5/8 as each half tires.

NSW to win.

Anonymous

Juniors
There's no two ways about it. Qld were thrashed by NSW in Origin II. They were woeful... I honestly thought they'd put up more of a fight.

Reputations came to grief and I can imagine that that won't do.

I'm willing to predict that Origin III will the best of the series... seems that there's a few scores to settle.

Kiwi

First Grade
Willow said:
There's no two ways about it. Qld were thrashed by NSW in Origin II. They were woeful... I honestly thought they'd put up more of a fight.

Reputations came to grief and I can imagine that that won't do.

I'm willing to predict that Origin III will the best of the series... seems that there's a few scores to settle.

I think the Broncos v Roosters game will also be a ripper, there will be plenty of Broncos out to prove a point and hurt someone out there Friday night.

The Informer

Juniors
27 - 4 = 23 = 13+ ....... yeah ha

For mine it'll be a matter of when not if for NSW. QLD still have a pedestrian look to their forward play, a rookie hooker (general passing game) who is also prone to stupid penalties and a reliance on Lockyer for attack / points. NSW to again try and take the tempo to QLD and throw plenty of attack at them (with more through the hands) and set plays. If NSW are on song (read not over confident) and begin to get a roll on it could get ugly.

The combination and confidence factor out of game 1 came through for NSW. Gould deserves a rap, he has believed for the last two yrs that the way to beat the current Bennett/Broncos/Qld game plan was with tempo and attack, and it's come home for him this yr. Personally I think his choice of back row has made a huge influence, Kennedy, Fitzgibbon and Rickertson's just do so much across 80 mins, having 3 of them a massive and under rated impact. Mind you, Gould's had plenty fall the righ way for him, no Langer, key injuries in game 1 at vital times, the loss of PJ Marsh and some 50/50 calls in the first 20 last night. But that's what can happen. And throw in a motivated and outstanding Johns.

Players retire and cycles happen, but the Langer effect / loss is huge. His kicking game and attack have made such a difference to Bennetts plan of the past. The injury to PJ Marsh killed off attck from and around the ruck as well. Lockyer has to be moved to 5/8 to take over the general kicking game and be more involved in attack, Wesser to fullback, he is in super attacking form which they desperately need, Hegarty in to centre for similar attack reasons to replace Carroll and hope that Marsh is back. Lockyer at 5/8 with Tait, Hegarty and Wesser around him would offer far more attack. Unless similar changes are made Qld won't recover in game 3 and it will be a lopsided whitewash.

The $8 NSW 3-0 pre game 1 would be very nice.