What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

South Island Kea

Matua

Bench
Different timeslots work for different demographics. The Friday timeslot is prime for the 18 to 30 year olds , night out in the city starting with the footy.
It's worked for the Broncos- cracking way to spend Friday night!
Caxton Street pumping.
When you were pretending to be from Christchurch, or pretending to be holidaying in NZ, didn't you ever pretend to go to an evening game in the city?

It's not like going out in Brisbane, it's like going out in a fridge.

• Haha
Reactions: Vee
I know you think this is some kind of gotcha, but it's really not.

For a whole bunch of reasons Brisbane is a lot kinder market to RL than the average. Using it as a baseline for the norm is silly.

For big finals games sure, not so much for the regular season though.
You're shifting the goalposts because you're too arrogant and obnoxious to concede you were wrong.

Look at the list of highest attendances for the Broncos. Most of them were played on a Friday night.

Here's a list of all Broncos and Dolphins games at Lang Park in 2023

Dolphins vs Roosters
Date:Sun 05-Mar-2023 Venue:LangCrowd:32,177

Broncos vs Cowboys
Date:Fri 10-Mar-2023 Venue:LangCrowd:43,162

Broncos vs Dragons
Date:Sat 18-Mar-2023 Venue:LangCrowd:26,612

Dolphins vs Broncos
Date:Fri 24-Mar-2023 Venue:LangCrowd:51,047

Broncos vs Tigers
Date:Sat 01-Apr-2023 Venue:LangCrowd:27,553

Broncos vs Raiders
Date:Sat 08-Apr-2023 Venue:LangCrowd:31,962

Dolphins vs Rabbitohs
Date:Thu 13-Apr-2023 Venue:LangCrowd:23,280

Dolphins vs Titans
Date:Sun 23-Apr-2023 Venue:LangCrowd:22,034

Broncos vs Rabbitohs
Date:Fri 28-Apr-2023 Venue:LangCrowd:40,102

Broncos vs Panthers
Date:Thu 18-May-2023 Venue:LangCrowd:33,343

Dolphins vs Storm
Date:Sat 20-May-2023 Venue:LangCrowd:28,325

Broncos vs Knights
Date:Sat 10-Jun-2023 Venue:LangCrowd:35,814

Broncos vs Titans
Date:Sun 25-Jun-2023 Venue:LangCrowd:42,249

Dolphins vs Cowboys
Date:Fri 25-Aug-2023 Venue:LangCrowd:33,449

Broncos vs Storm
Date:Thu 31-Aug-2023 Venue:LangCrowd:43,271

Dolphins averaged 42,248 on Friday (2 games).

Dolphins averaged 27,105 on Sunday (2 games).

Broncos averaged 41,632 on Friday (2 games).

Broncos drew 42,249 on Sunday (1 game).

The Broncos vs Cowboys Friday game drew 43,162, making it larger than the Broncos vs Titans Sunday game.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Here's a list of all Broncos and Dolphins games at Lang Park in 2023

Dolphins vs Roosters​
Date:Sun 05-Mar-2023 Venue:LangCrowd:32,177​
Broncos vs Cowboys​
Date:Fri 10-Mar-2023 Venue:LangCrowd:43,162​
Broncos vs Dragons​
Date:Sat 18-Mar-2023 Venue:LangCrowd:26,612​
Dolphins vs Broncos​
Date:Fri 24-Mar-2023 Venue:LangCrowd:51,047​
Broncos vs Tigers​
Date:Sat 01-Apr-2023 Venue:LangCrowd:27,553​
Broncos vs Raiders​
Date:Sat 08-Apr-2023 Venue:LangCrowd:31,962​
Dolphins vs Rabbitohs​
Date:Thu 13-Apr-2023 Venue:LangCrowd:23,280​
Dolphins vs Titans​
Date:Sun 23-Apr-2023 Venue:LangCrowd:22,034​
Broncos vs Rabbitohs​
Date:Fri 28-Apr-2023 Venue:LangCrowd:40,102​
Broncos vs Panthers​
Date:Thu 18-May-2023 Venue:LangCrowd:33,343​
Dolphins vs Storm​
Date:Sat 20-May-2023 Venue:LangCrowd:28,325​
Broncos vs Knights​
Date:Sat 10-Jun-2023 Venue:LangCrowd:35,814​
Broncos vs Titans​
Date:Sun 25-Jun-2023 Venue:LangCrowd:42,249​
Dolphins vs Cowboys​
Date:Fri 25-Aug-2023 Venue:LangCrowd:33,449​
Broncos vs Storm​
Date:Thu 31-Aug-2023 Venue:LangCrowd:43,271​

Dolphins averaged 42,248 on Friday (2 games).

Dolphins averaged 27,105 on Sunday (2 games).

Broncos averaged 41,632 on Friday (2 games).

Broncos drew 42,249 on Sunday (1 game).

The Broncos vs Cowboys Friday game drew 43,162, making it larger than the Broncos vs Titans Sunday game.
Nothing to do with the kea bid lol
however to get an accurate reading you’d need to factor in the key variables for attendance:
opposition
weather
form
to see with reliability if Friday or Sunday was better attended

Nothing to do with the kea bid lol
however to get an accurate reading you’d need to factor in the key variables for attendance:
opposition
weather
form
to see with reliability if Friday or Sunday was better attended
Dane said Friday games will have a huge impact on crowds for Warriors and Kea. He hasn't provided any information to back up his claim. I'll let him compile statistics for Warriors games on Friday and Sunday night since he's the one making the claim.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Dane said Friday games will have a huge impact on crowds for Warriors and Kea. He hasn't provided any information to back up his claim. I'll let him compile statistics for Warriors games on Friday and Sunday night since he's the one making the claim.
Yeh I don’t agree with him, Friday nights can work well if you know your audience and create a game experience accordingly, and for the Christchurch team their stadium will make it even more enjoyable, I don’t see it as an issue for the two nz clubs to take up most of the first night games for home games, might help the skynz deal as well being in prime time for nz tv.

MugaB

Coach
Yeh I don’t agree with him, Friday nights can work well if you know your audience and create a game experience accordingly, and for the Christchurch team their stadium will make it even more enjoyable, I don’t see it as an issue for the two nz clubs to take up most of the first night games for home games, might help the skynz deal as well being in prime time for nz tv.
Yes take up alternate 6pm friday slots weekly, then when they play each other do a Sunday day game

The Great Dane

First Grade
You're shifting the goalposts because you're too arrogant and obnoxious to concede you were wrong.

Look at the list of highest attendances for the Broncos. Most of them were played on a Friday night.

Shifting the goalposts my arse.

Are you seriously so challenged that you don't understand that Brisbane is the safest RL market on the planet, and isn't particularly representative of the norm as a result?

The Broncos also have a disproportionate amount of Friday games. Their active supporters wouldn't see them at all if they didn't show up on Fridays, which makes them a self selecting sample group, as people who are willing to show up on Fridays are more likely to invest in Broncos season tickets than those that are not.

Their matches against their highest drawing opponents also tend to be played in primetime on Fridays, because they're also the highest rating games. I wonder if that could be effecting the sample. Maybe if they played those big games on other days instead of the shitty low drawing opponents...

The fact that the Broncos have had high attendances on Fridays doesn't mean that they couldn't have drawn more to those games if they were played in other timeslots, or that Friday is universally the best day for attendances overall. Never could understand that correlation doesn't equal causation thing you.

Why cherry pick Brisbane's numbers? Why not include other markets and teams?

I have life, so I don't time to go through every team, or the time to f**k around collecting numbers for you, but of the Raiders top 19 highest drawing games of all time 2 were on Fridays, 2 on Saturdays, and 11 on Sundays. Obviously in of themselves those numbers don't prove anything either, but hopefully you get the point I'm making; the numbers from a single season in one city aren't worth dick.

The truth is that you'd probably need to do an academic study to ascertain conclusively which timeslots are the most likely to draw the largest crowds, which doesn't exist as far as I know, and we don't have the means to conduct it ourselves.
Or we could save ourselves the trouble and simply ask the people who actually regularly attend matches which they prefer, and that doesn't include you or @Perth Red.

Last edited:
Shifting the goalposts my arse.

Are you seriously so challenged that you don't understand that Brisbane is the safest RL market on the planet, and isn't particularly representative of the norm as a result?

Why do you always carry on like a petupant and pompous wanker whenever one of your assettions is scrutinised?

You made the claim that Friday night is shit for attendances. I provided evidence that it didn't hurt the Broncos or Dolphins in 2023. Now you're trying to dismiss the evidence by saying Brisbane is "different".

Since you're now acknowledging that Brisbane is "different" and the "safest" market will you stop saying it shouldn't be treated like any other city when it comes to expansion?

You cannot have it both ways Mr Blowhard. If Brisbane can afford to stage games in a "bad" timeslot for crowds and still draw huge attendances then it's able to sustain a third team!

I suppose you'll go on a 20 paragraph diatribe about how I don't understand you?

I doubt you understand half the shit you come out with.

The Broncos also have a disproportionate amount of Friday games. Their active supporters wouldn't see them at all if they didn't show up on Fridays, which makes them a self selecting sample group, as people who are willing to show up on Fridays are more likely to invest in Broncos season tickets than those that are not.

Their matches against their highest drawing opponents also tend to be played in primetime on Fridays, because they're also the highest rating games. I wonder if that could be effecting the sample. Maybe if they played those big games on other days instead of the shitty low drawing opponents...

Broncos played just as many home games at Lang Park on a Thursday night in 2023 for an average of 38,307. Thursday is a shit timeslot for attendances. They played four games on Saturday against Dragons, Tigers, Raiders and Knights for an average of 30,485. Their Thursday games were against the Storm and Panthers. Their Sunday game was against the Titans. Their Friday games were against the Cowboys and Rabbitohs.

The fact that the Broncos have had high attendances on Fridays doesn't mean that they couldn't have drawn more to those games if they were played in other timeslots, or that Friday is universally the best day for attendances overall. Never could understand that correlation doesn't equal causation thing you.

You're the one saying that Friday is "bad" for attendances. The onus is on you to validate your assertion.

I used the Dolphins and Broncos as evidence to counter your claim.

Why cherry pick Brisbane's numbers? Why not include other markets and teams?

Because I am familiar with Brisbane.

Remember, the onus is on you to back up your claim that Friday is a crowd killer for the Warriors and NZ2. All you've done is dance around the issue instead of comparing the Warriors' Friday and Sunday attendances.

I have life, so I don't time to go through every team, or the time to f**k around collecting numbers for you, but of the Raiders top 19 highest drawing games of all time 2 were on Fridays, 2 on Saturdays, and 11 on Sundays. Obviously in of themselves those numbers don't prove anything either, but hopefully you get the point I'm making; the numbers from a single season in one city aren't worth dick.

If you had a life then you wouldn't write 20 paragraphs of grandiose bullshit to make yourself sound smart.

Some clubs do better in certain time slots. Regional clubs like the Cowboys pull their biggest crowds on a Saturday night because much of their fanbase travel several hours over hundreds of kilometres to see them play. They obviously cannot do this on a Thursday or Friday. Sunday ain't good, either.

Canberra is a miserably cold place on a winters night. It doesn't surprise me that people in Canberra prefer to sit in the sunlight than freeze their arse off on a cold windy night.

Is there any reason for New Zealand's largest city to not draw a big crowd on a Friday night?

The truth is that you'd probably need to do an academic study to ascertain conclusively which timeslots are the most likely to draw the largest crowds, which doesn't exist as far as I know, and we don't have the means to conduct it ourselves.
Or we could save ourselves the trouble and simply ask the people who actually regularly attend matches which they prefer, and that doesn't include you or @Perth Red.

So you're now admitting that you have no idea whether Friday night is "bad" for a New Zealand team and were talking out of your arse?

Good. Now shut the f**k up.

Canard

Immortal
Types this
I suppose you'll go on a 20 paragraph diatribe about how I don't understand you?
Than without a hint of irony types the following 48 or so paragraphs
Why do you always carry on like a petupant and pompous wanker whenever one of your assettions is scrutinised?

You made the claim that Friday night is shit for attendances. I provided evidence that it didn't hurt the Broncos or Dolphins in 2023. Now you're trying to dismiss the evidence by saying Brisbane is "different".

Since you're now acknowledging that Brisbane is "different" and the "safest" market will you stop saying it shouldn't be treated like any other city when it comes to expansion?

You cannot have it both ways Mr Blowhard. If Brisbane can afford to stage games in a "bad" timeslot for crowds and still draw huge attendances then it's able to sustain a third team!

I doubt you understand half the shit you come out with.

Broncos played just as many home games at Lang Park on a Thursday night in 2023 for an average of 38,307. Thursday is a shit timeslot for attendances. They played four games on Saturday against Dragons, Tigers, Raiders and Knights for an average of 30,485. Their Thursday games were against the Storm and Panthers. Their Sunday game was against the Titans. Their Friday games were against the Cowboys and Rabbitohs.

You're the one saying that Friday is "bad" for attendances. The onus is on you to validate your assertion.

I used the Dolphins and Broncos as evidence to counter your claim.

Because I am familiar with Brisbane.

Remember, the onus is on you to back up your claim that Friday is a crowd killer for the Warriors and NZ2. All you've done is dance around the issue instead of comparing the Warriors' Friday and Sunday attendances.

If you had a life then you wouldn't write 20 paragraphs of grandiose bullshit to make yourself sound smart.

Some clubs do better in certain time slots. Regional clubs like the Cowboys pull their biggest crowds on a Saturday night because much of their fanbase travel several hours over hundreds of kilometres to see them play. They obviously cannot do this on a Thursday or Friday. Sunday ain't good, either.

Canberra is a miserably cold place on a winters night. It doesn't surprise me that people in Canberra prefer to sit in the sunlight than freeze their arse off on a cold windy night.

Is there any reason for New Zealand's largest city to not draw a big crowd on a Friday night?

So you're now admitting that you have no idea whether Friday night is "bad" for a New Zealand team and were talking out of your arse?

Good. Now shut the f**k up.
The dude doesn't own a mirror.

Canard

Immortal
By the way, out of all that, Old mate shot himself square in the foot by admitting that the best days for attendance can vary depending on the clubs location and climate.

mongoose

Coach
By the way, out of all that, Old mate shot himself square in the foot by admitting that the best days for attendance can vary depending on the clubs location and climate.

attendances will also vary depending on the opponent. The NRL will make sure Brisbane's biggest games are Friday night (Cowboys, Storm, Dolphins, maybe Titans).

Vee

First Grade
huh?

Broncos get higher crowds for Sunday afternoon games, easily higher.
Really? Genuine question, can't be shagged looking for myself. I know the Broncos have always claimed to want Sunday afternoon games but my memory is that the crowds have been less. Always thought it was something to do with the city crowd knocking off Friday afternoon, drinks, game and play on afterwards.

mongoose

Coach
Really? Genuine question, can't be shagged looking for myself. I know the Broncos have always claimed to want Sunday afternoon games but my memory is that the crowds have been less. Always thought it was something to do with the city crowd knocking off Friday afternoon, drinks, game and play on afterwards.
would be nice if someone could check lol

Like is said, its going to depend on the opponent. Comparing Sunday games vs Knights, Manly, Raiders etc to Friday games against Cowboys, Storm, Rabbitohs isn't going to tell us much.

final say

Juniors
When you were pretending to be from Christchurch, or pretending to be holidaying in NZ, didn't you ever pretend to go to an evening game in the city?

Haven't been out for a while hey buddy.. I had some cracking nights out in Christchurch, I think it was called " the fiddler? Good fun!
Caxton Street is a party Street because of the footy, every second week for most of the year there's 20 to 40 thousand people to appeal to!
The Stadium location in Christchurch ( te kah) will offer the same opportunity! Bars will cash in big time!
And more will sping up.
It creates a game day bar seen for the 18 to 30 year olds and the 2 industries support each other.
An NRL team will be a boom for Christchurch and put it on the map big time!
All they need to do is make that tourist tram around the city free.. band new stadium with a world class NRL team, cool tram bar hoping around the city...heaven on Earth!
Christchurch city, the mayor or whatever should be pushing this licence harder than anyone!

Christchurch could be absolutely booming for the next 20 years.

final say

Juniors

And btw . I did bullshit about being from Christchurch but I never bullshited about travelling NZ. I spent a bit over 4 months I think travelling NZ, absolutely loved it! The people were really cool, particularly on the south island! I could easily live in Queenstown if it wasn’t for the accommodation debacle or Christchurch or Dunedin if it wasn’t for low wages ( it would limit my ability to travel that I have with the good money made here in Australia).
I was just thinking yesterday how much I miss nz.. old school bars where you buy a tally ( they call it a Quart)over the bar and pour it into your little glass and have great conversations with good dte people. Really cool! And I was really surprised how big rl was on the south island! I was able to talk League with people everywhere I went, which I also really enjoyed! Everyone pilled into bars in the early morning to watch the All blacks in the WC and that was cool! A cool way to appreciate the NZ coulter! Loved it!
I found people really genuine and honest! And they were honest about starting to watch more League and appreciate that game more, that it faster and more exciting! And watching Union with them, I'd ask what a penalty was for and they'd admit with disappointment that they didn't know..
So take it or leave it mate but I've been and seen and experienced more of nz than most kiwis ( most haven't left their island).
And butty..
I love a good butty ! ( for the Aussies here it's basically a bacon sandwich)
Blocks your arteries instantly but who cares lol
I encourage anyone to at least travel the south island, most beautiful place I've ever seen.

Canard

Immortal
And btw . I did bullshit about being from Christchurch but I never bullshited about travelling NZ.
Haha f**k me.

And butty..
Bacon Butty's are British

And the 1.5Million Aussies that visit New Zealand everyone year, probably don't need much encouragement.

Perth Red

Post Whore
And btw . I did bullshit about being from Christchurch but I never bullshited about travelling NZ. I spent a bit over 4 months I think travelling NZ, absolutely loved it! The people were really cool, particularly on the south island! I could easily live in Queenstown if it wasn’t for the accommodation debacle or Christchurch or Dunedin if it wasn’t for low wages ( it would limit my ability to travel that I have with the good money made here in Australia).
I was just thinking yesterday how much I miss nz.. old school bars where you buy a tally ( they call it a Quart)over the bar and pour it into your little glass and have great conversations with good dte people. Really cool! And I was really surprised how big rl was on the south island! I was able to talk League with people everywhere I went, which I also really enjoyed! Everyone pilled into bars in the early morning to watch the All blacks in the WC and that was cool! A cool way to appreciate the NZ coulter! Loved it!
I found people really genuine and honest! And they were honest about starting to watch more League and appreciate that game more, that it faster and more exciting! And watching Union with them, I'd ask what a penalty was for and they'd admit with disappointment that they didn't know..
So take it or leave it mate but I've been and seen and experienced more of nz than most kiwis ( most haven't left their island).
And butty..
Blocks your arteries instantly but who cares lol
I encourage anyone to at least travel the south island, most beautiful place I've ever seen.
Had the pleasure of doing some work in Christchurch (pre earthquake) and driving down to stay in Queenstown, as you say it is a truly beautiful part of the world. looking forward to early retirement so we can go and do what you did and spend a couple of months driving around both islands. Hopefully they and Perth will have clubs by then and I can watch the game!

Latest posts