What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

South Sydney Rabbitohs issues

Penrith fan

Juniors
The left side of South’s played as a team in defence and attack. Walker and Wighton led Gray and Gagai well and that attitude of the senior players bringing youngsters through is critical for where South’s are, and long overdue. On the right, I’d rather cop a pair like Tallis Duncan and Braidon Burns out of position and making mistakes than what there have there. Ilias was good in defence, and without him we see how terrible they are on that side of the field.
The coach JD erred when South’s had scored a few quick tries. That was the time to get Burgess and Cook out there. But obviously that was not in the pre-game plans so he waited until Melbourne scored and paid the price. I suppose there were centimetres from another try, but other coaches would seize the opportunity.
South’s aren’t that far from a competitive team, much closer than the press they receive, but as I’ve said before, there are too many journeymen that have held up promising youngsters for too long. They are paying the price for that now, but they need to cop losses and mistakes from the youngsters, play with a little more risk and look to recruit in middle forwards to improve next year. No quick fix, but a short sharp recession is favourable over trying to arrest the decline only to make it longer.

Penrith fan

Juniors
My observation is that Souths haven’t got a bad roster, they are just missing a heap of players. Yes, some are underperforming and yes there is some holes in their pack, but I don’t think this is a team that needs to rip up and started again from scratch (much like the Bulldogs have done). It’s unlikely they dig themselves out this year, but it wouldn’t surprise me in the slightest if a rejuvenated Souths charge up the ladder next season. If I was Rabbits, I’d be on the blower to get a player-swap deal with the Storm for Jonah Pezet. They really miss an organising half who has a class kicking game. They never replaced Reynolds.

kurt faulk

Coach

Fmd, who's gonna read that wall of text? Most people are reading on their phones. Keep the paragraphs short and sweet. It just means I'll have to scroll longer to pass over those posts.

BTW, souffs f**king suck. Useless merkins.

Penrith fan

Juniors
Jason Demetriou is looking at moving Cody Walker to halfback and Jack Wighton to five-eighth. Latrell Mitchell, who is another week away, will likely play in the centres when he returns in order to keep livewire young gun Jye Gray at fullback.

Penrith fan

Juniors
As far as JD is concerned, you only sack people if there is someone better to take their place. I see no obvious replacement, but what they need is an AL Dunlap type character who is just brought in to shake up the company and then move on. Would Mal take the role?

Saxon

Bench
I reckon I work harder than you do. but then, that wouldn't be hard.
There you go again, leaping to dumb ass assumptions with no basis.

However, on this occasion you're probably right - at least in terms of physical labour. I long since decided that being a tradie was hard yakka, got a degree and started working smarter, not harder.

I watched a littler of NRL 360 last night, and James Graham made an interesting point about Souths. Whilst the side's attack has looked clunky, its biggest issues relate to defence. In the 8 rounds of this year, Souths have conceded more points than Penrith did in all of last season. They lack quality, and depth in its front row forward stocks. It is in that area Graham think they need to recruit, and to me, it made a lot of sense.

ACTPanthers

Bench
I watched a littler of NRL 360 last night, and James Graham made an interesting point about Souths. Whilst the side's attack has looked clunky, its biggest issues relate to defence. In the 8 rounds of this year, Souths have conceded more points than Penrith did in all of last season. They lack quality, and depth in its front row forward stocks. It is in that area Graham think they need to recruit, and to me, it made a lot of sense.
Saw and thought the same thing

yobbo84

Coach
Our biggest issue for 5+ years has been:

1. Fitness
2. Our back 3 and their inability to work us out of trouble

People like to blame yardage on props, but no prop forwards do the dirty work out of the backend anymore - it's all on the back 3 and with Latrell Mitchell, Alex Johnston and Paulo/Milne/Kennar/whoever we've always been mired in our own end.

It's been exacerbated even more this year without Campbell Graham.

And it's why we rely on piggy-back penalties so much.

I don't know how no media pundit has ever picked on this and called it out.

Our biggest issue for 5+ years has been:

1. Fitness
2. Our back 3 and their inability to work us out of trouble

People like to blame yardage on props, but no prop forwards do the dirty work out of the backend anymore - it's all on the back 3 and with Latrell Mitchell, Alex Johnston and Paulo/Milne/Kennar/whoever we've always been mired in our own end.

It's been exacerbated even more this year without Campbell Graham.

And it's why we rely on piggy-back penalties so much.

I don't know how no media pundit has ever picked on this and called it out.

Graham wasn't talking about yardage, he was talking about defence, and the ruck defence from many of your club's middle forwards, bar Cam Murray, has been terrible.

I'm not disagreeing with your contention about the back 3 not getting a lot of yaradage on kick returns, and early in the tacle count. But I'd contend getting some quality middle forwards would do more wonders for your club right now.

soc123_au

Staff member
Graham wasn't talking about yardage, he was talking about defence, and the ruck defence from many of your club's middle forwards, bar Cam Murray, has been terrible.

I'm not disagreeing with your contention about the back 3 not getting a lot of yaradage on kick returns, and early in the tacle count. But I'd contend getting some quality middle forwards would do more wonders for your club right now.
The back 3 coming out of trouble goes hand in hand with defense. Pantherball is pretty much the forwards having a rest until tackle 3 or 4 every set, then being ready to hold the middle with line speed and getting back into the line quickly. Rinse and repeat. If you are being relied on to even help do the grunt work with the ball, their aint no petrol left for whats required in defense.

I said that when they signed Wighton, they definitely didn’t need a 30 year old centre.