What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Souths 2018 Squad

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
Hunt certainly isn't anything special in attack and his defence is also on a par with that.

Very one dimensional footballer who turns very slowly in defence.

I would hope he's left right out.

I can recall more times that Hunt has saved our asses than any other outside back in the squad. GI excepted of course. Every team usually has a centre like Hunt. Whilst he is not the ideal centre I think he is a safer option than Jennings. In all honesty if I was going to have Jennings in the squad it would be on the wing. Give him a few games there and then slowly transition him into centre. However I feel as if Fuimaono is a very good option for the centres. We may very well see Hunt and Jennings out of the top 17 round 1.

Rabbits20

Immortal
I can recall times Hunt wasn't up to standard defensively and knocking on coming out of trouble....

Rabbitoad

Juniors
Is there any confirmation on Tatola? He is an absolute gun and has an offload or two in him. I would love to see him in the squad. Jeez there's gonna be some pressure on our props next year.
Nothing official, just some people online saying he was training with us.

Haven't had the chance to get down there and see for myself yet

Travitoh

First Grade
I really hope we get him though. If injuries hadn't halted his development I think he'd be one of the most sought after young forwards in the game.

Being a forward, i would assume that time is still on his side development wise.
I just hope he's willing to work hard and isn't another Cherrington.

Rabbitoad

Juniors
Being a forward, i would assume that time is still on his side development wise.
I just hope he's willing to work hard and isn't another Cherrington.
He's 21 and it was just some ligament issues with his foot.

Whereas given the extent of the injuries to both of Cherrington's knees I'm surprised he was able to play local footy, let alone NRL.

Very different situation

callmack1

Staff member
I've never heard of Tatola either. From what you guys are saying though he sounds very promising.

I can recall times Hunt wasn't up to standard defensively and knocking on coming out of trouble....
Yes, that is an issue that Hunt has really struggled with. I remember that happening numerous times coming out of our own half this year.

I also think his work rate coming out of our own half has been questionable at times, not all the time but I often felt after games that he didn't do enough work when we really needed him.

I guess this could be said for many of our outside backs though and there's no doubt he's a great defense centre.

Rabbits20

Immortal
I've never heard of Tatola either. From what you guys are saying though he sounds very promising.

Yes, that is an issue that Hunt has really struggled with. I remember that happening numerous times coming out of our own half this year.

I also think his work rate coming out of our own half has been questionable at times, not all the time but I often felt after games that he didn't do enough work when we really needed him.

I guess this could be said for many of our outside backs though and there's no doubt he's a great defense centre.
Hence why Goodwin was and is a big loss.......

He was the Nightingale of our side

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
Defence was never an issue with Hunt. If it was then it was an even bigger issue with Goodwin, Walker, Jennings etc.

Hunt's workrate with the ball in hand was definitely questionable. I get that. He didn't run for many metres and didn't have that running game that Walker and Gagai possess.

BUT I can't believe people are saying his defence was poor. I remember when we vsed the dragons this year and when graham rushed in to tackle the ball carrier and the ball got offloaded to nightingale. Nightingale was away and Hunt single handedly tackled him over the sideline saving an almost certain breakaway try. I swear I must be watching a different game to everybody else because it's plays like that, that saves games.

Knock ons happen all the time and it's not just Hunt in our team that knocks the ball on. Our whole team is error riddled. According to NRL.com we finished tied 6th for average errors in the competition. Goodwin and Hunt both had an average of 0.9 errors per game.

http://m.nrl.com/tabid/10877/seriesid/1/seasonid/45/roundid/0/clubid/11/stat/e/default.aspx

callmack1

Staff member
Defence was never an issue with Hunt. If it was then it was an even bigger issue with Goodwin, Walker, Jennings etc.

Hunt's workrate with the ball in hand was definitely questionable. I get that. He didn't run for many metres and didn't have that running game that Walker and Gagai possess.

BUT I can't believe people are saying his defence was poor. I remember when we vsed the dragons this year and when graham rushed in to tackle the ball carrier and the ball got offloaded to nightingale. Nightingale was away and Hunt single handedly tackled him over the sideline saving an almost certain breakaway try. I swear I must be watching a different game to everybody else because it's plays like that, that saves games.

Knock ons happen all the time and it's not just Hunt in our team that knocks the ball on. Our whole team is error riddled. According to NRL.com we finished tied 6th for average errors in the competition. Goodwin and Hunt both had an average of 0.9 errors per game.

http://m.nrl.com/tabid/10877/seriesid/1/seasonid/45/roundid/0/clubid/11/stat/e/default.aspx
Agreed. I'm certainly not saying his defence is questionable, he's probably our best defensive back apart from GI, it's just other parts of his game that needs work.

We know that he is a strong runner of the ball, he just needs to do it more.

You're right about our whole team being error ridden, let's hope that has been addressed. It has been one of our biggest downfalls the last two year, although 2017 wasn't as bad as 2016.

Souths Till I Die

First Grade

Its hard to find highlights of juniors but here's a decent video.

http://www.weststigers.com.au/news/2016/10/19/making_the_leap_juni.html

Something that I wish Souths did was show more highlights of their juniors. We are definitely behind other clubs in this aspect.

Rabbitoad

Juniors
Its hard to find highlights of juniors but here's a decent video.

http://www.weststigers.com.au/news/2016/10/19/making_the_leap_juni.html

Something that I wish Souths did was show more highlights of their juniors. We are definitely behind other clubs in this aspect.
I could never understand why we don't stream our 20's/NSW Cup games online.

I get that NRL have broadcasting deals, but the lower grades aren't televised anyway and it doesn't cost much to stream a basic, one camera coverage.

Souths Till I Die

First Grade

I get that NRL have broadcasting deals, but the lower grades aren't televised anyway and it doesn't cost much to stream a basic, one camera coverage.

This is something that I wished somebody asked at Ask the Bosses. I understand the juniors aren't as profitable as the main NRL team but a lot of fans are always curious to see how our juniors and reserve grade teams are going.

It does sometimes feel as if Souths neglect their juniors compared to other NRL clubs. If I wanted to see Ky Rodwell (one of our best prop prospects imo) highlights I couldn't find them on the internet that's for sure.

rabbitohs95

Bench

Club is looking to get more connected with the Bears this year, looking at doing Bears match reports, interviews during the week from the 20's and reserve grade players and possible highlights packages.

callmack1

Staff member
Club is looking to get more connected with the Bears this year, looking at doing Bears match reports, interviews during the week from the 20's and reserve grade players and possible highlights packages.
Great to hear man.

Rabbits20

Immortal
I can remember early on when we played the Knights in Round 2 and Manly in Roumd 3 or whatever it was he got caught out in both matches and coughed up the ball coming out of trouble....

There was a game he was on the wing too where he was caught out rushing in...

His most shocking game was against Canberra where he missed simple one on ones..... diabolical that night......

rabbitohs95

Bench
I can remember early on when we played the Knights in Round 2 and Manly in Roumd 3 or whatever it was he got caught out in both matches and coughed up the ball coming out of trouble....

His most shocking game was against Canberra where he missed simple one on ones..... diabolical that night......
To be fair on the Canberra one it was his return from injury. He nearly scored off the kickoff if memory serves me.

Don't like Hunt on the wing but at centre he won't let you down. Tbh I'd prefer him at centre and Gagai on the wing.

Souths Till I Die

First Grade

The manly game? The same
Manly game where Goodwin nearly lost us the game in the first 20 minutes?