What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Souths-Logan & Sunshine Coast...

Timbo

Staff member
Just wondering what's happening with these two next year with the Raiders and Eagles putting teams in the NSW Cup?

Joker's Wild

Coach
Likely nothing in the case of SL

SC may well fold due to their reliance on Manly to supply decent players and funding

IMO whoever is enforcing this ban on cross state feeders is doing a massive disservice to Qld rugby league. The Broncos already have 6 feeder clubs, Titans 2 and Cowboys 2. How do they expect to expose the young talent of Qld to the NRL when there are only 3 teams up here? Really stupid

Timbo

Staff member
Likely nothing in the case of SL

SC may well fold due to their reliance on Manly to supply decent players and funding

IMO whoever is enforcing this ban on cross state feeders is doing a massive disservice to Qld rugby league. The Broncos already have 6 feeder clubs, Titans 2 and Cowboys 2. How do they expect to expose the young talent of Qld to the NRL when there are only 3 teams up here? Really stupid

I guess it won't suprise you to find out that it's the NSWRL then.

The NSWRL are threatening punishment to all NRL Clubs that fall under their jurisdiction if they don't have NSW Cup teams, due to the percieved quality gap between the NSW Cup and the Qld Cup.

I guess all the QRL can do is try and get the Storm to re-commit to having a QLD Cup side feeder, and the Warriors as well I suppose. All other teams fall under the NSWRL.

Joker's Wild

Coach
Stupid stuff all round IMO

The NSWRL should be making their comp more attractive instead of threatening NRL clubs. Frickin dinosaurs

XXXX Cap

Juniors
I've pointed this out here many times before but currently there are 11 NRL clubs "feeding" into the NSW Cup and 5 into the Queensland Cup.

You need to ask why the Queensland Cup is considered stronger and how changing the balance to 13 v 5 is going to fix anything.

All it will do is doom two currently successful clubs in Queensland.

Timbo

Staff member
This could be the first signs of slow movement towards a national second division competition...

Here's hoping.

Joker's Wild

Coach
I've pointed this out here many times before but currently there are 11 NRL clubs "feeding" into the NSW Cup and 5 into the Queensland Cup.

You need to ask why the Queensland Cup is considered stronger and how changing the balance to 13 v 5 is going to fix anything.

13 v 3 but yeah, your point is valid.

This could be the first signs of slow movement towards a national second division competition...

Here's hoping.

Given travel costs and the fact that current NRL sides are reluctant to put anything but the bare minimum into their feeder sides I doubt a full blown national 2nd tier comp is on the cards any time soon.

There is nothing wrong with running the 2 separate comps but the NSWRL really needs to butt out of the NRL clubs business and get their own back yard sorted.

Raider_69

Post Whore
Where'd you hear that? It was reported not long ago we were entering a Goulburn based club in the NSW Cup for 2011.

try and keep up timbo :p

its been reported that its unlikely that Goulburn will have the funds to support a NSW cup team and unless they can magically find a way to fund it without sending themselves broke the club is going to continue its affiliation with SL

Furner has put it to Carr to either find a viable solution where the Raiders can field a NSW cup side without compromising the fiscal state of themselves or feeder club, or deal with the fact we are staying put with SL

SL will die without the Raiders helping out, they cant afford to lose us and we are more than happy with the arrangement, carr needs to keep his f**king nose out of our business. We're not even a NSW state team. We're interstate so should not be forced to field a team in the NSW cup to our own and a very proud and success QLD cup teams determent.

The Observer

Staff member
I guess it won't suprise you to find out that it's the NSWRL then.

The NSWRL are threatening punishment to all NRL Clubs that fall under their jurisdiction if they don't have NSW Cup teams, due to the percieved quality gap between the NSW Cup and the Qld Cup.

They want NSW NRL clubs teams using NSW Cup clubs as their feeder teams. They don't want NSW clubs to go to QLD merely because QLD clubs aren't affected by the NSW Pokies tax. Perhaps one of the clubs could use Tweed Heads as a feeder club in the NSW Cup, given the town is in NSW.

I guess all the QRL can do is try and get the Storm to re-commit to having a QLD Cup side feeder, and the Warriors as well I suppose. All other teams fall under the NSWRL.

I think the NSWRL are happy to have the Storm and Auckland Vulcans in the NSW Cup.

What would be an interesting change of tack is if Canberra and Manly asked if Souths Logan and Sunshine Coast could participate in the NSW Cup as their feeder clubs? The NSWRL would probably have no objection, even though the QRL would baulk. That move could work well, as well as Northern Pride, Burleigh/Tweed Heads and a Brisbane club fielding teams in the NSW Cup as feeder teams to North QLD, Gold Coast and Brisbane.

Personally, the competitions could be structured as they were before 1998. The QRL probably wouldn't like the loss of status for the Q-Cup, but they started as a 3rd tier competition, and a national 2nd tier would benefit the game and clubs significantly, creating clearer, more logical pathways to and from the NRL.

1st Tier: NRL
2nd Tier: Australian Cup (rebranded NSW Cup with extra teams from QLD)
3rd Tier: NSW Bundy Red Cup and QLD Intrust Super Cup

Timbo

Staff member
They want NSW NRL clubs teams using NSW Cup clubs as their feeder teams. They don't want NSW clubs to go to QLD merely because QLD clubs aren't affected by the NSW Pokies tax. Perhaps one of the clubs could use Tweed Heads as a feeder club in the NSW Cup, given the town is in NSW.

I think the NSWRL are happy to have the Storm and Auckland Vulcans in the NSW Cup.

What would be an interesting change of tack is if Canberra and Manly asked if Souths Logan and Sunshine Coast could participate in the NSW Cup as their feeder clubs? The NSWRL would probably have no objection, even though the QRL would baulk. That move could work well, as well as Northern Pride, Burleigh/Tweed Heads and a Brisbane club fielding teams in the NSW Cup as feeder teams to North QLD, Gold Coast and Brisbane.

Personally, the competitions could be structured as they were before 1998. The QRL probably wouldn't like the loss of status for the Q-Cup, but they started as a 3rd tier competition, and a national 2nd tier would benefit the game and clubs significantly, creating clearer, more logical pathways to and from the NRL.

Far from the worst idea I've ever heard.

XXXX Cap

Juniors
The QRL probably wouldn't like the loss of status for the Q-Cup, but they started as a 3rd tier competition,

What a load of crap.

The Queensland Cup was an extension in 1996 of the Brisbane Rugby League competition which had been in place since 1909 as the premier Rugby League competion in Queensland and a century later remains so in its extended format.

Brisbane had its competition, Sydney had theirs and provincial and country areas had their own. There was no such thing as "tiers".

In the 1920's, arguably the strongest competition was in Toowoomba, whose representative team defeated all comers including NSW and Great Britain. That didn't place the other competitions on a lower tier, one would just happen to be stronger than another at a given time.

rwaite

Juniors

QLD CUP third tier - no way - as it is equal if not better than NSW Cup but you are onto the right idea with an Australian Cup as the second tier. Ross Livermore is pushing for a final series between the top QLD and NSW Cup teams after the QLD Cup finals and I hope that his idea wins through.

Not 100% what should happen with the Toyoto Cup (NYC) but it should not come between or interfere with the QLD & NSW Cups and be under those teams.

rwaite

Juniors

I will be majorly ticked off if Souths are weakened big time by the loss of the relationship with the Raiders. The numbers you quote show just how much it stinks.

rwaite

Juniors

Can anyone confirm the rumour I have heard that the Storm have ditched their NSW Cup team and have a new feeder relationship with Easts Tigers?

Can't believe a NSW team (Tweed heads) won the QLD Cup a few years back. Rather than denying our feeder arrangements why aren't they trying to get Tweed Heads to play NSW Cup and trying to get some NSW Country teams in?

Latest posts