What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Souths Trivia

Sugar

Bench
A trivia thread for the off season.

If you get the correct answer you ask the next question....

Here goes

Who was the Last Souths Junior to captian the First grade team?

Paul Hewson

Juniors
Sugar said:
Correct:D
Fire away Dave

Actually some can argue that answer. In all the books it has Bryan Fletcher as a local Junior. Even though he was a Roosters Junior he played in the Souths Juniors comp....

So my answer would have been Bryan Fletcher.

Zigwaa

Bench
Dave Q said:
Yay!

Why did the club change the playing strip for the 2007 season?

To make more money selling new jumpers could be argued as the case, but I'm sure this will not be creditted as the correct answer.

Dave Q

Coach
Paul Hewson said:
Actually some can argue that answer. In all the books it has Bryan Fletcher as a local Junior. Even though he was a Roosters Junior he played in the Souths Juniors comp....

I thought about Fletch too but I ended up discarding him.

But if you want to ask the next question Paul, I am happy to retract mine, no problem.

Sugar

Bench
Paul Hewson said:

But he was not a Souths junior

Sugar

Bench
Dave Q said:
Yay!

Why did the club change the playing strip for the 2007 season?

I found this on a website is this the answer you seek Dave:D

Rusty and Phac hired the Armani European and Oceanic Sports Uniform Team to run tests on the old strip.

They found that at high running speeds the existing myrtle bands tended to visually merge with some species of grass on the NRL stadiums.

This resulted in a 0.09% error rate in catching and passing accuracy.

A series of compatible colour-on-jersey tests were performed and the Stanford University Colour Control Center came up with the white vertical bands.

Initially it was thought that in practice, the white strips would merge with goalposts and signage and indeed that was the case but the difference was not great enough to be considered to be beyond accepted levels of error under practical test conditions.

Sugar

Bench
The new design and cut of the fabric meant that the stripes did not line up so the side panels where added

Dave Q

Coach
Sugar said:
The new design and cut of the fabric meant that the stripes did not line up so the side panels where added

Correct. Nothing sinister about it.

I also heard something about "scientific" answer you proferred earlier, not in as much detail, but with the same general thrust.

When I took the photo in my sig and I was sizing it up for LU, I did notice that the colour of the socks tendered to merge with the grass. Of course the texture was different.

It was a pity that the LU sponsered linesman got in the way, but on the night I was proud to see the forum's name in such a big arena. Now apparently we are going to end up on the cheeks of the bulldogs cheergirls despite my call for some LU on the drumsquad.

But the problem with the scientific explanation, was that I couldnt buy the fact that the similar colour represented a negative for the side overall as if our players were caught slightly disorientated in a pass, I thought that the merging would also be likely to disrupt the line of sight of the opposition players.

And from that analysis, I thought the effect of the green stripes on the jersey and socks would accordingly, be neutralised.

Next question please.

Dave Q

Coach
Newcastlerabbit said:
C'mon Sugar Im waiting on a question.:)

He's probably off fishing.

I'll ask four in his absence and credit him some later if I get another correct:-

Q: Terry Parker is a famous name with Souths, what role did he have?

Q: Have Souths ever played in shorts that were not black or white?

Q: Following our expulsion, Souths entered into talks with a player who featured in the 1999 Grand Final. Name that player.

Q: Heres some bonus non-souths ones for entertainment:

Three weeks I was in a fast food restaurant in a suburb of Sydney, when who should walk but Aussie legend cricketer Mark Taylor and his nice family.

Name the restaurant ( brand ).

Did any patrons request a signature or did we all politely ignore his presence?

Did he act the cool hero or like an ordinary bloke?

Over to the panel.

Dave Q

Coach
Newcastlerabbit said:
Tery Parker was our first CEO
We wore green shorts from 1975-1979

Correct on both counts, but wheres the rest of the answers?

Its an exam newk, you cant clock off like Sugar whenever it takes your fancy.

Have a go son!

BTW I cant imagine what the green shorts would do to our passing game!

Anyone who wants to finish it off for Newk, make my day!

Dave Q

Coach
rabbit4ever said:
Q3: A bit of a stab in the dark, but was the player from the 1999 Grand Final Nathan Blacklock?

Not quite, the player in question was a touch more notorious than Nathan.

For your brave stab, Taylor behaved like an ordinary bloke, people recognised him but stayed cool.

Which famous fast food chain restaurant do you think we were in?