What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

spinal injuries

canberra_raiders2k2

First Grade
Hey guys over the weekend I effed my back playing sport. I was kicked in the back and fractured/wedged vertebrae (T6).

Unfortunately my GP is terrible and didn't really provide me with any details on recovery besides resting...but I can't just sit around and resting, are there any exercises I can do to increase recovery?

I just turned 30 and I am in relatively good shape/health. Anyone had experience with these injuries and the general recovery time?

Last Week

Bench
If you have a fracture, then yeah, rest is what you should be doing. Keep a good posture and let the bone heal. Then rebuild yourself.

I have bulging discs in between my L4 - L5 as well as L5 - S1. Much more minor in nature than yours.

Physio for a while which helped me strengthen my core a bit, but the thing that stopped 95% of the pain was losing weight.

I was carrying more than I should have and lost just 5ish kgs and the pain is gone for 95% of the time.

Where I struggle is building strength again. When I did my back, I was useless for 3 months and in that time, my strength just plummeted and I gained the weight. Once I dropped the weight, I still didn't have strength and when I would try and go back to the gym or do things some what strenuous, my back would be in pain again. Not to the point where I could feel it shooting down my leg, but it was there.

I knew that I couldn't handle high impact stuff. So I started running (which I'm enjoying) and yoga. Running gave me my confidence back. I had moments where mid run, my back would start to ache again, but I fought through it and it eventually went away. Posture is important.

Yoga was the best thing. It strengthened me just enough to the point where I'm back at the gym now (not as much as I like and feel like I'm embarrassing myself with the weights I'm doing). It also stretched me out, opened my joints up, made me more flexible, etc etc. I felt good again. And it wasn't the type of yoga where you would hold a pose, it was transitioning into a position, hold it for several breaths, then transitioning into another position. It really did get my heart rate up and felt like I was doing something. After some sessions, my muscles would hurt a bit the next day.

In short, start small and re-build. Get advice from several experts and get into a routine that is best for you. If you rush it, you're going to do more damage. Especially seeing as your bone is weak.