What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Spines

Overseas dragon

Juniors
It's the number one reason for a teams success so let's discuss them.
1 Melbourne Smith Cronk Jack's Slater. Well what can you say except its not ours
2. Brisbane Hunt Nikorima Milford Boyd speed speed wish we had it
3 Roosters Friend Pearce Keary Watson speedy
4 DRAGONS McInnes Mcroan Widdop Dufty well here we have McInnes great defence good pass not enough running from dummy half and needs to kick ( Jamie soward ) Josh Mcroan (lost cause nobody can help him ) Gareth excellent sometimes but not enough needs to hand over the captaincy to jdb frizz or thommo.Dufty the one bright star from a season that's going pear shaped (hope they sign him to a long contract ).there is the main problem our spine is hamstrung by a road block called McRoan.

TomRedVRiver

Bench
Our spine will be looking a lot healthier next year.
1. Dufty
6. Widdop
7. Hunt
9. McInnes

- A hooker that was in NSW contention this year and is only getting better at 23 years old.
- A halfback that has played for Australia and QLD. Will only get better and is hitting his prime years.
- The current England international 5/8 and up there with the best in the comp right now.
- A young fullback on the rise with plenty of pace, vision and ball-skills with everything to play for.

There is a lot of promise in that spine, a lot of teams would kill to have a spine like that. Also, don't underestimate how quick Hunt can scoot around the park, there's plenty of pace and skill in that bunch. It's a good mix of youthful enthusiasm and level-headed experience. I can't wait.

1. Dufty
6. Widdop
7. Hunt
9. McInnes

- A hooker that was in NSW contention this year and is only getting better at 23 years old.
- A halfback that has played for Australia and QLD. Will only get better and is hitting his prime years.
- The current England international 5/8 and up there with the best in the comp right now.
- A young fullback on the rise with plenty of pace, vision and ball-skills with everything to play for.

There is a lot of promise in that spine, a lot of teams would kill to have a spine like that. Also, don't underestimate how quick Hunt can scoot around the park, there's plenty of pace and skill in that bunch. It's a good mix of youthful enthusiasm and level-headed experience. I can't wait.

McIdiot will soo coach that out of them

^ Ditto.

Coach is everything.

Further proof seen by the Warriors having the New Zealand 1, 6, 7, 9 - 12th on the ladder.

Yeah, but at least with the Warriors, the 7 is out hurt, the 9 is way past his best and the 6 wasn't interested in playing the moment he got there.

giboz71

First Grade
1. Dufty
6. Widdop
7. Hunt
9. McInnes

I'm a bit more confident as well. For years we were stuck with Rein and Benji/McCrone in key positions stinking up our attack, as well as being one of the few teams in the comp with a FB who had no ability to create for others. Rein, Benji and McCrone will never see FG again, and Duges will likely be a long term centre going forward.

The new spine solves a lot of this, but chemistry is key. How will the touches be shared between Hunt and Widdop? Will McInnes run more? How will Dufty be injected now we finally have speed and ball playing from the back?

Cue Mary - he has a very good spine in his hands, some might argue for the first time since he's been a FG coach. He needs to make it work now.

Overseas dragon

Juniors
And while we are on the subject of spines and Hunt .I can see the Donkeys going a long way this year if Saturdays game against the Titans is any gauge. I

giboz71

First Grade
And while we are on the subject of spines and Hunt .I can see the Donkeys going a long way this year if Saturdays game against the Titans is any gauge. I

Of course they will.

Only the Broncos have the luxury of putting Ben Hunt at 9 and having Nikorima slot in at 7 (with Benji as an emergency).

Ben Hunt is a very good player, and his toughness means he can play hooker in a pinch and play it very well, much like Joey and Toovey used to.

I'm a bit more confident as well. For years we were stuck with Rein and Benji/McCrone in key positions stinking up our attack, as well as being one of the few teams in the comp with a FB who had no ability to create for others. Rein, Benji and McCrone will never see FG again, and Duges will likely be a long term centre going forward.

The new spine solves a lot of this, but chemistry is key. How will the touches be shared between Hunt and Widdop? Will McInnes run more? How will Dufty be injected now we finally have speed and ball playing from the back?

Cue Mary - he has a very good spine in his hands, some might argue for the first time since he's been a FG coach. He needs to make it work now.

Nail/Head.

If Widdop has proved anything over the years, Benji, Mann, etc. it's that he doesn't like a half that's too creative. He needs predictable boring service from a half, when things are not cut and dried and a bit more ad lib, he gets lost.

If McDouche has proved anything over the years it's Widdop gets what Widdop wants, captaincy, Mcrone kept at half when anyone with half a brain could see a monkey with one leg could do a better job.

giboz71

First Grade
The best performing halves I see right now is Moses and Norman.

And what, they have had 6 weeks together and they have developed a lethal combination.

Well done Arthur, a good coach will always make it work when he has good players. Add the oodles of speed he has at his disposal (French, Radrara, Jennings), don't be surprised if Parra are the dark horses for the comp.

JDHD

Juniors
Nail/Head.

If Widdop has proved anything over the years, Benji, Mann, etc. it's that he doesn't like a half that's too creative. He needs predictable boring service from a half, when things are not cut and dried and a bit more ad lib, he gets lost.

If McDouche has proved anything over the years it's Widdop gets what Widdop wants, captaincy, Mcrone kept at half when anyone with half a brain could see a monkey with one leg could do a better job.

This is what concerns me about Widdop. Mary's said many times that Widdop 'likes playing with McCrone. He definitely didn't like playing with Benji, the way he used to spray him (to be fair, Benji loved throwing a cut out over the sideline but still) and the way Mann was arseholed out of the halves after 60 minutes in the Titans game suggests that he didn't like that either.

Well, Hunt is coming down on massive money to play halfback so he'd better f**king get on like a house on fire with Hunt or we're in trouble.

Overseas dragon

Juniors
I personally think you need finals experience to win a comp .this year it's storm-donkeys or scummula maybe (maybe not)Rorters an outside chance .

Dragonslayer

First Grade
No point having a great spine without a great coach.

Brisbane has the luxury of Bennett. The storm have Bellamy. The roosters have Robinson. Even the eels have Arthur.

We have McGregor!

Slippery Morris

First Grade
The spine will look much better in 2018 for the Saints but so will a lot of other teams spines as well.

Saints spine picks itself thank god and will not require any thought process from Mary if they stay fit. With that spine Saints should go well no matter what rubbish tactics Mary uses as Hunt and Dufty play what they see not this structured stuff so will be winning games off their brilliance I hope.

Overseas dragon

Juniors
Talking about spines Melbourne has been extremely lucky over the years with injuries re Cam Smith and Cooper Cronk can it continue this year well we shall see.crystal ball ,anyone