What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Squad succession

Gazzamatta

Coach
Which includes Morgan who would be highly suspect Id suggest. Gee we need to get cracking. Havent even got a full team at this stage.

phantom eel

First Grade
So we officially have 17 merkins in next year's squad. The 2019 squad is looking a bit skinny in the forwards and halves.
According to those lists, retention decision are required for the following players:

W/Cs: Faraimo, Schulte, Toutai, Tuha
Halves: Cornish, Kelly, Norman, Robson
Hookers: De Gois, King
Edge forwards: Tanginoa, Woods
Tight forwards: Hasson, O'Brien, Ualesi, Wicks
Utilities: Fuimaono, Nelson

Priorities would obviously be Norman (now Foran is a 2017 non-starter), then I'd sign Wicks for another season, and O'Brien and Nelson for another two seasons each.

There's talk De Gois has a two year extension (perhaps utside the top 25), Depending who is in our recruitment sights from other clubs, I'd also try and extend King (unless we buy in a hooker), Tanginoa, Woods, Hasson, Ualesi, and I guess Faraimo and Toutai (unless we buy in another back)? Probably letting Kelly and Robson go if we sign a decent half (not Hayne) to partner Norman. That would make 29 plus a decent half for 30 under contract...

Don't know enough about the others - Schulte, Tuha, Fuimaono - make a call either way?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Norman re-signs:

Fullback: Gordon
W/C: Faraimo, Folau, Jennings, Radradra, Schulte, Toutai, Tuha
Half: Cornish, Kelly, Norman, Robson
Hooker: De Gois, King, Pritchard
Edge forward: Edwards, Gower, Ma'u, Moeroa, Scott, Tanginoa, Woods
Tight forward: Alvaro, Hasson, Mannah, O'Brien, Terepo, Ualesi, Wicks
Utility: French, Fuimaono, Gutherson, Nelson, Takairangi

Fullback: -
W/C: Folau, Jennings, Radradra
Half: Norman
Hooker: Pritchard
Edge forward: Edwards, Gower, Ma'u, Moeroa, Scott
Tight forward: Alvaro, Mannah, Terepo, Twal
Utility: French, Gutherson, Takairangi

W/C: Jennings, Radradra
Edge forward: Scott
Tight forward: Alvaro
Utility: French

W/C: Jennings
Hooker: -
Edge forward: -
Tight forward: -

So we officially have 17 merkins in next year's squad. I hope they can all play 80 minutes and never get injured.

Edit: removed Morgan from 2017

Last edited:

Noise

Coach
Pou, this is a good thread but how many years do you think you will keep this thread running? It is a lot of responsibility. Some merkins might start copying and pasting your info and putting in bogus signings in random years just to upset you. I hope you know when to call it quits. I'd hate to see it consume you. Maybe you could pass the baton on to a young whipper snapper like fanbase when the time is right.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I looked at their f**king site recently and saw nothing about it. Anyway, I'll call that official enough. Go Morgs.

Gronk

Staff member
Announcement from either club ?

http://www.burleighbears.com.au/fogarty-lands-2017-eels-contract/

FOGARTY LANDS 2017 EELS CONTRACT
  • 1471058274219-1-jamal-170x170.jpg

15 Aug 2016
    By Kevin Braysher

I Luv Coffee Burleigh Bears co-captain Jamal Fogarty will be moving on at the end of the season after picking up an NRL contract with the Parramatta Eels.

The Bears halfback has been one of the most consistent players in the entire Intrust Super Cup in 2016 and his sparkling form put him on the radar of several NRL clubs.

Ultimately, Fogarty made the decision to ink a two-year-deal with Parramatta as he chases his NRL debut.

“I’m a little bit nervous, to be honest,” he said.

“Moving down to the big smoke in Sydney is going to be big, but I’m excited at the same time to get back into an NRL system.

“I am going to be sad to leave. I just got comfortable at the Bears and everything is going good and now I’m leaving.

“But, I’ve definitely got a place to call home if anything doesn’t work out down in Sydney.

“The club has been great. Even when you get to go into the club after the game, the life members are there and they always want to have a chat and it’s a real welcoming place.”

The former Australian Schoolboys representative said the key to his signing was focusing on performing at his best for the Bears on a week-to-week basis.

His results on the field speak for themselves as he has amassed an incredible 222 points already this season, more than any other player in the competition.

He has been close to Burleigh’s best on ground every week, but said a simple role and an excellent ground of team-mates have been the keys to his success all year.

“I think I’ve been able to play well because everybody on the team has been doing their job really well,” he said.

“Every individual is turning up week-in and week-out and Jimmy (Lenihan – coach) and Keats (Matt Keating – assistant coach) have just given me a really simple role to play ever since the pre-season.

“Jimmy feels like he’s one of the boys. It feels like he’s 21 even though he is the coach. He’s really honest and straight up and I think as a player that’s the best thing you can ask for out of your coach.”

While the Burleigh faithful will be sad to see one of their best move on, they will watch his next step with a keen interest and a sense of pride.

Until then, Fogarty’s Bears are gearing up for a tilt at the Intrust Super Cup semi-finals.

eels_fan

First Grade
I'm glad he's thinking about having somewhere to go home to if it doesn't work out for him...

Nothing like having a goal and committing to it!!

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Wicks now official:

Fullback: Gordon
W/C: Faraimo, Folau, Jennings, Radradra, Schulte, Toutai, Tuha
Half: Cornish, Kelly, Norman, Robson
Hooker: De Gois, King, Pritchard
Edge forward: Edwards, Gower, Ma'u, Moeroa, Scott, Tanginoa, Woods
Tight forward: Alvaro, Hasson, Mannah, O'Brien, Terepo, Ualesi, Wicks
Utility: French, Fuimaono, Gutherson, Nelson, Takairangi

W/C: Folau, Jennings, Radradra
Edge forward: Edwards, Gower, Ma'u, Moeroa, Scott
Tight forward: Alvaro, Mannah, Terepo, Twal, Wicks
Utility: French, Gutherson, Takairangi

W/C: Jennings, Radradra
Edge forward: Scott
Tight forward: Alvaro, Wicks
Utility: French

W/C: Jennings
Hooker: -
Edge forward: -
Tight forward: -

So we officially have 18 merkins in next year's squad.