What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Squad succession

phantom eel

First Grade
You should be preempt them! Here, I'll get it started for you...

Fullback: 2 merkins
W/C: 6 others
Half: 3 others
Hooker: 2 guys
Edge forward: 4 others
Tight forward: 7 others
1 spare slot

phantom eel

First Grade
Do you need any help with 2019 and 2020 while I'm in the thread? Then your next update would really show merkins how many merkins we have to let go, re-sign or recruit over the rest of the decade....

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Updated for Gower:

Fullback: Hayne, Hunt
W/C: Hopoate, Radradra, Morgan, Toutai, Goodall, Faraimo
Half: Norman, Sandow, Matterson
Hooker: Peats, De Gois, Pritchard
Edge forward: Ma'u, Edwards, Pauli, Moeroa
Tight forward: Mannah, Lussick, Paulo, Mossop, Gower, Allgood, Terepo, Tanginoa

Fullback: Hunt, 1 other
W/C: Radradra, Toutai, 4 others
Half: Norman, Matterson, 1 other
Hooker: Peats, De Gois
Edge forward: Ma'u, Edwards, Moeroa, 1 other
Tight forward: Mannah, Paulo, Mossop, Gower, 4 others
1 spare slot

Half: Matterson, 2 others
Tight forward: Mannah, 6 others
1 spare slot

TheParraboy

Staff member
What are the succession squads (SS) of the other 15 clubs?

that would make for better reading

Chipmunk

Coach
Updated for Gower:

Fullback: Hayne, Hunt
W/C: Hopoate, Radradra, Morgan, Toutai, Goodall, Faraimo
Half: Norman, Sandow, Matterson
Hooker: Peats, De Gois, Pritchard
Tight forward: Mannah, Lussick, Paulo, Mossop, Gower, Allgood, Terepo, Tanginoa

Fullback: Hunt, 1 other
Half: Norman, Matterson, 1 other
Hooker: Peats, De Gois
Tight forward: Mannah, Paulo, Mossop, Gower, 4 others
1 spare slot

Half: Matterson, 2 others
Tight forward: Mannah, 6 others
1 spare slot

I'm guessing quite a few of these players you have in the 2015 squad are not in the Top 25 of the 2015 squad. Apparently one of them is gone already (Tanginoa)

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
It's hard to know who's top 25 and who isn't. And obviously when you're paying part of the salary of a bloke who's been released, if the portion you're paying is in the top 25 salaries in your club then he is also part of the top 25. Hence the situation this year with less than 25 merkins in the top 25.

Chipmunk

Coach
Updated for Gower:

Interestingly that we started this season with very few experienced options in the Edge Forwards, with Ben Smith and the injured-rebulked up Tanginoa being the only people with any NRL experience we had there.

Next year it appears to be where we will probably have the best depth/potential (allbeit all of them still need more experience) with all potentially starting 17 players.

I will be interested to see what we do next year if they're all fully fit. I cannot see us playing all 4 in the 17 next year, especially when Gower can also fill in there if need be.

On another note, I'm still interested on whether we are planning on keeping Sef Paulo. I'm also interested to see if we are going to gamble on no back-up half and just hope Matterson is ready if needed.

Last edited:

oldmancraigy

Coach
If we end up keeping Sef, it will be on a low contract amount, and because other plans have fallen through.

If he was part of the 'plans' for the future, he would be signed already. He isn't, and so we're just using his talents as best we can this season (since he has NRL experience and all). If the whole Watmough thing doesn't work out, we might see Sef back next year.

Forty20

First Grade
I'm pretty sure Stagger mentioned it elsewhere but I believe that Luke Kelly will be sticking around on a second tier deal next year. Don't know if he will be preferred over Matterson in 2015 but it means that we should have a half with NRL experience available.