What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

St George RLFC AGM Report 2015

Rexxy

Coach
This was posted elsewhere. If the original poster (OP) objects, i will delete.

But it's pretty important and informed content and in the interests of the RWD (Red and White Diaspora)

This is what I'm informed about the AGM. I don't post here anymore but in the interests of providing people with info I'm breaking my ban.

The most significant thing to come out of it was confirmation that the club is relying on a loan from the NRL for its continued operations. The club is paying interest on that loan. Doust described the Leagues Club as the old 'banker' and the NRL as the 'new banker.'

Furthermore, membership in 13/14 dropped hugely from the year before. About 40-50%. The Right Game Right Venue strategy ended up resulting in a positive amount of $966k last year. One can only imagine what the outcome for the club would be had it not been for that money, and the NRL loan. Just incredible.

The 'business plan' is to be profitable again by 2017. The only leg of the business plan mentioned at all was the NRL loan, the RGRV, and a series of projects that the NRL is funding relating to member engagement and other issues.

It was also confirmed that the joint venture stucture is under review and apparently it seems that at some point- presumably as the NRL finally has us entirely by the short and curlies- there is some change to governance.

On asked about third party agreements, the inference was we are trying but are struggling. Jokingly, it was suggested that if anyone knows a rich man, to make contact. Only half jokingly I believe.

Second hand info so don't shoot the messenger. That's all I know.

Last edited:

Cagey Mac

Bench
The membership data is even worse than it looks when you consider that there has been growth in memberships from around the ANZ precinct. Obviously this means that St George and Illawarra locals have fallen by perhaps more than half.
Still it comes down to funding and viability and options appear lean.
My mail regarding TPA’s is pretty well exactly how you said it. We need some celebrities or dare I say an NRL star that appeals to the Chinese community.
Ultimately the best business plan would be. Send the Sharks to WA and give us back an NRL demographic.

Get2dachopper!

Juniors
So on top of the 5.5 million the NRL gives each club to fund their top 25 players, we are getting further funding to pay for other costs involved in the running of the team? What a joke!

If that's the case, then the NRL has every right to have a representative sit on the board to oversee the management of the club. Same goes for Newcastle and Tigers if they are asking for hand outs.

P.S. would like to know specifically what is the plan to become profitable and specifically, what the financial goals are. My local pizza shop probably has a better business plan than these idiots!

bottle

Coach
I think the club grant is around $7mil and the salary cap takes up around $6.3 or thereabouts of that for 2014, rising to around $6.8 or thereabouts for 2015. Would need to look it up to be sure.

Get2dachopper!

Juniors
I think the club grant is around $7mil and the salary cap takes up around $6.3 or thereabouts of that for 2014, rising to around $6.8 or thereabouts for 2015. Would need to look it up to be sure.

I think your right. But either way, looks like it's not enough and we need to burrow money on top of the normal grant.

TonyT6

Bench
I think your right. But either way, looks like it's not enough and we need to burrow money on top of the normal grant.

I posted this on the JA forum but mate of mine works for the NRL and he thinks we will have an NRL appointed board sooner rather than later as "you blokes are no hope of paying back the amount of money you have borrowed from us just to keep you going. Smith and the executive know that the problem is your board".

Jubileeboy

First Grade
So on top of the 5.5 million the NRL gives each club to fund their top 25 players, we are getting further funding to pay for other costs involved in the running of the team? What a joke!

If that's the case, then the NRL has every right to have a representative sit on the board to oversee the management of the club. Same goes for Newcastle and Tigers if they are asking for hand outs.

P.S. would like to know specifically what is the plan to become profitable and specifically, what the financial goals are. My local pizza shop probably has a better business plan than these idiots!

You would need a pizza chain to afford running an NRL club mate.

Operating costs vary from $13m to $18m per season depending on the club.

We are sinking with further revenue losses :(

since77

Juniors

All the more reason to be putting everything they possibly can into making sure the 1st grade side is a success on the field. Bet they weren't short of members 2009 - 2011.
The lost quite a few in the Steve Price years, including me.

Get2dachopper!

Juniors

Exactly, a business that has costs over 10 million to operat; where is the plan?

The sooner the NRL take over the board the better. Once it's profitable again, maybe float it as a company. Perhaps not a silly idea as some would think, we have to have one of the largest supporter base all over this country and perhaps in England. Why do you think we were invited to partake in this years WCC?

That board needs to be dragged out, kicking and screaming.

rainman44

Bench
Exactly, a business that has costs over 10 million to operat; where is the plan?

The sooner the NRL take over the board the better. Once it's profitable again, maybe float it as a company. Perhaps not a silly idea as some would think, we have to have one of the largest supporter base all over this country and perhaps in England. Why do you think we were invited to partake in this years WCC?

That board needs to be dragged out, kicking and screaming.
They sure do.

Father Ted

First Grade

Dump Doust and the board as well as the right game right venue farce go back to our real home grounds play most games on a sunday arvo and watch people flood back.

possm

Coach
Dump Doust and the board as well as the right game right venue farce go back to our real home grounds play most games on a sunday arvo and watch people flood back.

YES! YES! YES!!!

And bring back reserve grade as the game prior to first grade.

Play NYC on Wed Night.

Play ladies 9's on a Thursday Night.

Bring back high class entertainment at the leagues club.