What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stadiums with dirt hills

Gibbo

Juniors
I think the cowboys have the hill situation pretty sussed out i.e. behind the goals, a cheap alternative for people who want to congregate and an 'over-flow' area for big games when the stands are packed. Hills are great but should not take up the primo-real estate on the sides of a gound, and should not make up such a big percentage of the crowd (in case of rain etc). Still trying to work out why Parramatta removed their hills behind the posts only to reduce their capacity.

Fluffy

Juniors
the stands still had plenty of room at brookie on saturday, the hill was reasonably filled even with the weather. hence no need to change.

COACH STERLING

Juniors
Gibbo said:
I think the cowboys have the hill situation pretty sussed out i.e. behind the goals, a cheap alternative for people who want to congregate and an 'over-flow' area for big games when the stands are packed. Hills are great but should not take up the primo-real estate on the sides of a gound, and should not make up such a big percentage of the crowd (in case of rain etc). Still trying to work out why Parramatta removed their hills behind the posts only to reduce their capacity.

The state government has announced 6 million dollar grant to parramatta which will enable them to construct a grandstand at the southern end. The eventual goal must be to have a seated stadium allround, with the top of the roof on the eastern and western grandstand adjoining the southern and northern ends. The construction of the southern grandstand will increase the capacity by 5,000 spectators. I'd imagine the capacity at Parra stadium would increase to 30,000+ if they ever do complete both ends.

I guess they got rid of the hill area with a foresight to the future.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
COACH STERLING said:
The state government has announced 6 million dollar grant to parramatta which will enable them to construct a grandstand at the southern end. The eventual goal must be to have a seated stadium allround, with the top of the roof on the eastern and western grandstand adjoining the southern and northern ends. The construction of the southern grandstand will increase the capacity by 5,000 spectators. I'd imagine the capacity at Parra stadium would increase to 30,000+ if they ever do complete both ends.

So it'll be an enclosed two tiers right around the ground? That sounds promising.

Gibbo

Juniors
COACH STERLING said:

Sounds awesome, would be great to have a 30000 seater out West

Calculus

Juniors
Grass hills will die eventually... but I'm not sure there is a particular need kill them off just yet.

That said, they should be moving towards having the seating on the wings and having the grass areas behind the goals as people above have said.

boonboon

Juniors
grass hills are great look at the grounds that have them usually empty seats adn people all over the hill the people love the hill and that is what is important a football ground is built for those who attend it

Estoboy

Juniors
Calculus said:
Grass hills will die eventually... but I'm not sure there is a particular need kill them off just yet.

That said, they should be moving towards having the seating on the wings and having the grass areas behind the goals as people above have said.

:shock:

I dare you to say that at a game at either an average (which means PACKED) Leichhardt or OKI

each ground has its own charm and each ground has its own future. Whilst grounds like Penrith and Cambo could very well end up being totally seated, grounds like OKI, Leichhardt and Brookie won't

and i don't have to be an expert to say that

Perth Red

Post Whore
boonboon said:
grass hills are great look at the grounds that have them usually empty seats adn people all over the hill the people love the hill and that is what is important a football ground is built for those who attend it

Except when it rains then crowds plummit as people don't want to stand in the rain on a slippery slope.

It's not the 70's, move on RL!

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
Perth Red said:
Except when it rains then crowds plummit as people don't want to stand in the rain on a slippery slope.

It's not the 70's, move on RL!
Not only that but the NRL has an image problem among non-RL fans. Playing the world's biggest rugby comp out of grounds that don't have proper covering from the rain doesn't help.

Look at how the Titans new ground will improve their image compared to if they were to play at Carrara for a few more years. It looks great, it's attracting sh*tloads of cash from the corporate seating and 'personal seat right' advertising and the average punter wants to visit simply because of the hype. Sure not every ground in Sydney needs to be like that but grounds not like that need to be the exception, not the rule.

Calculus

Juniors
Estoboy said:
:shock:

I dare you to say that at a game at either an average (which means PACKED) Leichhardt or OKI

Have you considered that the grass areas might have a lot of people in them because all the seated areas are taken?

Snoz

Juniors
Copa said:
Atmosphere?? You mean a 1970s atmosphere... why don't we make all the stadiums just dirt hills... you'd love the atmosphere then.

Grass hills are for amateur sporting arenas.

Who wants to pay good money and then be told to sit on the bloody grass?? What a joke.

grounds are mostly council owned - not much the clubs can do about it when the cost is $20 mill plus. Unless the club is situated in a marginal seat then there are no grants from the state govt to update the grounds.

Snoz

Juniors
greeneyed said:
Copa is of course correct.

I went to Brookvale for the second time in the first round 2006. It is one of the worst holes you could ever want to go to. I sat with the Raiders fans on "the hill" as the price of general admission was about $22. This gave you a few ancient bucket seats along the sidelines or a few wooden plank benches along the fences. Toilets were not working - they were overflowing and closed and you had to go to the other side of the ground to get to one. The "grandstands" for some strange reason are built behind the goal posts, while the ancient grandstand on one sideline was unavailable.

After the game, walking out was a frightening experience with multidudes of drunk supporters throwing around broken glass. Not to mention the drunken fight between a Bulldogs and Manly fan spilling over into otherwise peaceful Raiders supporters.

This is what a "hill" is all about? I'm glad Canberra Stadium is in the 21st century with quality seating and facilities.

manly are in the process of chasing state govt funding but it is not happening. meanwhile parra statium which is already a great stadium gets another $5 mill - go figure !

domdom

Juniors
Snoz said:
manly are in the process of chasing state govt funding but it is not happening. meanwhile parra statium which is already a great stadium gets another $5 mill - go figure !

I quite enjoy sitting on the hill with a beer or two, but poor old brookie is in serious need of a facelift. eventually, the hill will give way to proper, all round seating, even before that happens, the stands we have now need upgrading!

for the club to improve its financial position, the corporate facilities need an upgrade as well.

only problem is funding. shame brookie isnt in an area where labor arent looking for votes.

woodgers

Bench
Snoz said:

Maybe they could get some of that off what they pay Jamie Lyon every year and pay the bloody electricity bill.....

greeneyed

First Grade
supersoniceagle said:
I love the hill at Brookie, I've been going to games there since I was about 7 and have sat in every stand, but nothing beats being on the hill in terms of fun and atmosphere

The "grandstands" at Brookvale are a pile of rubbish as well. The whole ground would be closed if a safety inspector turned up. No wonder the electricity failed last Saturday... you should see the wiring around the place, including into the grandstands/dressing rooms. The "hill" is actually a swamp. Close the whole place down. It isn't fit for human occupation.

Raider Azz

Bench
yeh can't say im in a hurry to return to brookvale anytime soon, what a sh*t hole. and they have the audacity to make us pay $25 dollars to get in after they refused to give $8 away tickets this year, yet they can't even keep the lights on.

Copa

Bench
I notice Brookvale is still a 3rd world dump... forcing fans to pay to stand on a dirt hill in all sorts of weather.. that's pro-sport in Manly in the 21st century.