What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stanley the Steel Avenger...

Southernsaint

Staff member
From: http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/04/15/1081998305882.html

Stanley the Steel Avenger, the much-loved former Illawarra mascot, has been banned from making his greatly anticipated comeback in Sunday's heritage match at WIN Stadium.

While St George Illawarra will wear Steelers jerseys in the clash with Penrith and players from both teams involved in the club's inaugural game in 1982 will be honoured, the Dragons' major sponsor, St George bank, won't allow Stanley - famously sent off after becoming embroiled in an on-field brawl in 1995 - to share in the nostalgia.

Sparky - the joint-venture's popular red Dragon mascot, who wore big sunglasses and rode around the field on a variety of zippy little vehicles - was dumped this season due to fears he would take the spotlight away from the bank's figurehead, Happy Dragon. Happy Dragon has not enjoyed a totally controversy-free existence, however, with allegations last year that the big green mascot butted a television cameraman during a sideline argument.

No Stanley & no Sparky!!

But all of this still doesn't explain what happened to the male cheerleader.

Cheers,
Ben S.

Southernsaint

Staff member
I was dissapointed that it was the Bank that got Sparky sacked. I thought it would surely be the pressure from The Army that would lead to his downfall...

We want Sparky out, say, We want Sparky out!!

Cheers,
Ben S.

G

gorilla

I’m with you guys – where’s Sparky ?
I had high hopes for the kid, we needed hinm to grow into a big red fire-breathing dragon of the 70s and all we’ve got now is a green fat lizard on eccies !
Forget the Steelers V ST George chants, what about “We want Sparky !”
Goz

Southernsaint

Staff member
Nooooooooo, Gorilla!!

Happy Forever - Sparky Never!!

"If you all hate Sparky, clap your hands :clap: :clap: "

Cheers,
Ben S.

G

gorilla

:evil:
Happy is a fraud - he's grumpy #-o
and he smells (its really an unwashed leftover Mardi Gras costume)
Happy has no future and just wants your money.

Sparky had a future, he was red, and despite certain juvenile demeanor had character. Happy should stay as a plastic piggy bank and leave us alone.

If i get close enough I'll pelt him with bread rolls. :shock:

:whistle

Southernsaint

Staff member
Happy has class, he wears a bow-tie.

Sparky wore sunnies like some 16 year old delinquent hanging out at Parramatta Westfields food court...

Bring Back Aaron!!

Cheers,
Ben S.

G

gorilla

Bow ties are for architects and has beens. :roll:

I was prepared for Sparky to grow with the club and with the right attention and fostering become a force to be reckoned with in the realm of mascotdom. 8)

Now he’s just been cruelly cast aside, left to wander the back streets of Carlton and Kiama searching for life’s meaning after that bitter loss. :cry:

BTW did you know that happy is a illa(warra)gitemate first cousin of Kermit ? It’s not widely known but Happy is actually the love-child from a short but furtive liaison between Deano (Flinstones) and Kermits mother in a Burbank-Hanna Barbara backlot (this is pretty hot confidential stuff from my twin Magilla). :oops:

Anyway Happy has no claims, no class, no future. We’ll lose him when Julie Anthony dies and I can’t see that other Bank’s mascot of the piece of toats helping us much…

Anonymous

Juniors
Lest We Forget.
2003_18_15sparkey.jpg

G

gorilla

Well, I guess its time to come out of the closet - I loved Aaron. :eek:

G

gorilla

Aaron was hot – I liked the way he never dressed left or right but went straight down the middle. They used to jiggle when he twirled the pompoms. #-o

G

gorilla

Willow, yr doing a great straightman act now...
"Is it true that Aaron is now Happy?"
He might be Happy but he was never Gay - boom tish #-o

Latest posts