What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stars of 2003?

Gav-bt

Juniors
Yesterdays Guardian contained an article the 100 UK stars for 2003. Here are their choice ofRugby League players.
"Ryan Bailey (Leeds Rhinos)
A prop or second-row who was big, rough and tough enough to be given a Super League debut aged 18 last season, and whose playing style is so similar to former Leeds forward Adrian Morley that he has already been nicknamed the "Black Moz".
Rob Burrow (Leeds Rhinos)
Tiny scrum-half nicknamed Mighty Mouse who suffered second-season syndrome after being voted Super League's young player of 2001, but whose electrifying pace will surely shine this year.
Richard Horne (Hull)
Showed increased maturity and toughness as an emergency hooker and full-back for Great Britain in November's Tests and, with a new contract, the gifted 20-year-old should shine.
Sean O'Loughlin (Wigan)
Started to emerge last season, when his maturity and off-the-cuff skills earned him the captaincy of England's Under-21 tour of the south Pacific. Blotted his copybook slightly when he was sent off against Fiji President's XIII, but will benefit from Wigan's move towards less overseas signings and more local talent.
Jon Wilkin (St Helens)
Another product of the Humberside nursery, but this strong second-row has left Hull KR for the Super League champions on the evidence of his performances for England Under-18s against the Australian schoolboys recently. "
i think they've got it right but would add others like rich mathers who also went well in the academy tests! but good to see we are in national press!
full article is at
http://sport.guardian.co.uk/news/story/0,,867924,00.html

K

Kiwi

Can't say I know any of those player Gav. But now that I have fox again, I'll be enjoying the ESL once more so shouldn't take long for me to be back up to speed on players in the UK. You can never have too much league.

MistyBee9-11

Juniors
I've seen a few Leeds games in 2002, and off the bench, Rob Burrow always jagged a try. He is small, quick and elusive - the closest aussie thing I could think of was Mark Shulman in his prime, or a young Allan Langer, elusiveness-wise. Dunno what his kicking or passing game is like though.

Definitely a Pommt star in the making.