What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stats Insider: NRL's dodgiest defenders revealed

Skram

Juniors
I think a good chunk of it comes down to missing Luck and Locke. Everyone knows how good Luck is defensively but Locke is just as important. With the fullback being the main communicator and the last line of defence it doesn't help that we've had 4 different guys play there this year, especially considering one is a relative rookie and another is known for his crappy D.
I think with Locke and Luck back a lot of those gaping holes will close up and those half chances that the opposition are converting to tries will be snuffed out more frequently. That said it would be remiss of the team to think the same and I hope they're doing some serious defensive work at training.

ozbash

Referee
Thats a big if ozbash. If I'm not mistaken we are currently outside the top 8. There are a lot of very very soft tries given up with the structures employed, and the techniques of some of our players. Burying our head in the sand about it is not going to help, this is a big elephant in the room and its time we accepted we have a fairly significant issue.

Yea,Im not denying that we could do better than 9th (I think we were before this round) but I feel very confident we are on course, the defence will improve and we'll win a premiership (lol, maybe).

Funnily enough, the turning point last season involved a shocker from Manu, seemed like a whole new mindset from everyone and the rest is history.

Well, Nothing wrong with optimism, is there ??

ozbash

Referee
Are we still winning?

Last I checked we had a losing record, sit outside the top 8, and just came off a bad loss to the Tigers.

That doesn't sound like winning to me. Sounds like we have a lot of improvement to do.

True. We are only just over 1/3 way through the season. I expect big things.

Re Luck, I think ET has done a great job covering for him and will be very surprised if we see Luck back on the paddock again this season.

TheDMC

Bench
If we are still winning even with shonky defence, whats the problem ?

The best defensive teams in the comp still lose because their attacking options are shit.

We were the same at roughly the same stage last year, and if any of you would like to check the "stats" we made a GF.

Means sfa, Id rather Shaun and Maloney terrorised teams on offense than comprimise their brilliance becoming tackle bots.

Last year we improved our defence big time toward the end of the season. Doesn't mean we will do it again, and if we don't we won't be making a GF or anywhere near it. Our D needs immediate and significant improving.

Latest posts