What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stefano Utoikamanu

Tigerm

First Grade
Well, someone in HO had there eye on the ball, we may have snagged a potential SOO player.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/fi...e/news-story/d4e7057deb6b17190a9f87e3230d43ea

However, the real surprise in Fittler’s plans is 19-year-old Stefano Utoikamanu.

The explosive prop is yet to make his NRL debut but there’s been plenty of hype about his talent.

“There’s a lot of talk about young Stefano,’’ Fittler said.

“I’ve been a part of all the (NSW) pathways and watched Stefano come through, so I’m really looking forward to seeing how he evolves.

“He had a couple of bad injuries.

“He’s a bit like a (David) Klemmer, Payne (Haas), maybe not as mobile as Payne, but he’s a good player. He was the best player, as they were, coming through.

Utoikamanu was recently upgraded to the Eels’ top 30 before being quickly snatched up by the Wests Tigers on a three-year deal starting from 2021.

Vic Mackey

Referee
I’ve got a bad feeling he’ll end up staying at Parra

I don’t

He asked for a release 3 times this pre season. Only agreed to take their upgrade as they denied them all so why not get the extra $30k on offer? At the end of the day he left as he felt under valued and Parra treated his brother poorly when he copped a bad injury a few years back. Also worth noting that Parra are costing him around $200k this year by not releasing him, so I dare say he still isnt stoked with them.

Sure he could have been a bitch like Moses/Matterson and refused to train unless until they gave him a release, however thats not the type of player I want in my team. I'm glad that he is being a professional and honouring his contract.

BTW little known fact, he was actually a Magpies Jnr before Parra snatched him off us, so another returning home.

The Rosco

Bench
The Parra forum has it's panties all twisted over Stefano.
Calling WT lowlifes for "stealing" Stefano. Should be gentlemen's agreements.
It's different to mitchy and matto.
Parra spent all that time and money into his development.
$300k for a kid thats never played NRL. What a desperate club we are.
there should be rules against it. Like in the Latvian International handball assn.
LOL.
GFY
Merkins.

BrotherJim05

Bench
If you want to talk about feelings, I have a feeling Parra are going to implode this year.

If there is one thing Parra are consistent at, it's dissapointing people

I can't wait to see the articles about Matterson and Moses causing a toxic environment...maybe even Stefano brining one of his gun rookie mates to Tigers with him

The unknown

Juniors
I don’t

He asked for a release 3 times this pre season. Only agreed to take their upgrade as they denied them all so why not get the extra $30k on offer? At the end of the day he left as he felt under valued and Parra treated his brother poorly when he copped a bad injury a few years back. Also worth noting that Parra are costing him around $200k this year by not releasing him, so I dare say he still isnt stoked with them.

Sure he could have been a bitch like Moses/Matterson and refused to train unless until they gave him a release, however thats not the type of player I want in my team. I'm glad that he is being a professional and honouring his contract.

BTW little known fact, he was actually a Magpies Jnr before Parra snatched him off us, so another returning home.

Yeah true that, I guess with the mental scarring from previous management/coaching it’s easy to think he might backflip on his deal but to be fair he seems like one of the select few good kids

On another note how funny is Parras “leadership” group? Moses, Matterson, Brown, Paulo and Gutho. The standards at Parrathetic must be pretty low

The unknown

Juniors
Is there actually any highlights on this kid??? I barely watch lower grades unless it’s our own

Ron's_Mate

Bench
The tragedy driving Eels young gun to become the next big thing
By Adrian Proszenko
February 5, 2020 — 6.33pm

Stefano Utoikamanu is doing this as much for his brother as for himself.

The drive that has made him a potential Blues Origin bolter and the subject of a tug-of-war between two rival NRL clubs – before he has even made a single first-grade appearance – comes from a source very close to home.

The teenage sensation’s dream is to make it in the NRL, one that he will likely fulfil this season at Parramatta, rather than his future employers at Wests Tigers. It was an ambition once shared by his older brother Filia, who was also a gun junior coming through the Eels ranks.

However, Filia’s rugby league career came to a shattering halt in 2017 when he broke his neck in a lower-grade fixture. It was a huge setback for the family and ended any hopes of the siblings running onto the field together at the highest level.

Utoikamanu is using it as motivation to fulfil his undoubted potential and become one of the game’s most promising prospects.

“Hopefully I can get a debut for him, it’s really important for me,” Utoikamanu told the Herald last year in his first interview.

“He was supposed to be here with me. It’s hard because I’d always been training with him, we’d always pushed each other. It’s been really tough without him. He gives me strength.

“He was training really hard and then he was told he wouldn’t be able to play rugby league again. It’s pretty tough.

“He broke his neck and one of the arteries got cut off, so there’s only one artery that was pumping blood to his brain, and when something happens to that it’s no good.

“Mentally, it was a big shock because he took rugby league for granted as well. It’s tough when somebody tells you you can’t do something you love.

“It’s a big motivation for me. I know he wanted to be here. It’s good for me, to be playing for him. That’s very big for me.”

To date, Utoikamanu is that guy many league fans have heard of but not seen play. Good judges have likened him to Brisbane powerhouse Payne Haas and the hype went to another level on Tuesday when NSW coach Brad Fittler earmarked him as one of eight Eels on his radar for the upcoming Origin series.

Parramatta had planned for Utoikamanu to be a mainstay of their forward pack, but the Tigers snuck under their guard with a three-year, $800,000 deal beginning from next season. The joint-venture outfit figured his signature would pressure the Eels into an early release, but they responded by upgrading his contract to top-30 status, paving the way for an NRL debut this year.

Up until now, few have been privy to Utoikamanu’s backstory. But now that the junior Blues star is set to be thrust into the limelight, it’s an opportune time to reveal other setbacks he has overcome on his journey. Like the two shoulder operations that wrote off two entire seasons.

“I did my left shoulder twice, in 2016 and ‘17,” he said. “It was two seasons on the sidelines. [Retirement] thoughts started popping into my head when I did it the second time.

“The first time I was rehabbing really well and in my very first game back, it popped out straight away. I got another op, started working really hard, came back and was just trying to think positive, work hard and see where I get to.”

Those challenges appear to have steeled Utoikamanu. The Westfield Sports High School product will run out for the Eels this year before switching to the Tigers, although he supported neither of those teams while growing up.

“When I was younger I was on the bandwagon, I used to go for the Storm,” he said.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/th...ecome-the-next-big-thing-20200205-p53y3p.html

BrotherJim05

Bench
I'm so fkn excited about this kid, which worries me deeply because every time I get excited about a young gun making their debut they flop or go to another club.

I pray to Odin he is the exception.

Tigerm

First Grade
I wouldn't be surprised if the Eels give him his debut game against us.

Rnd 5 - Monday 13th April.

Tigerm

First Grade

Stefano Utoikamanu could be the game’s next $1 million prop

He has a fair way to go to reach the game’s top echelon of props, which includes Payne Haas, James Fisher-Harris and Addin Fonua-Blake, but Tigers young gun Stefano Utoikamanu is tracking towards that level.

Utoikamanu has been in outstanding touch to start the season, showing why the Blues handed him his debut Origin jersey last year.

”He’s been enormous. He’s been fantastic,” Matty Johns said on Fox League.

He’s arguably been the best Tiger so far this season and has rocketed back into contention for a Blues jersey.

Utoikamanu’s form has caught the attention of rival clubs, including the Penrith Panthers, who will bid farewell to star prop James Fisher-Harris at the end of this season.

While Utoikamanu is under contract with the Tigers for this year, he’s got an option for 2025 that activates if on one of two things occur, as The Daily Telegraph’s Michael Carayannis explained on NRL360.

“He’s got the strangest clause that we’ve seen. The Tigers have backed themselves in a way in that if they make the top eight, Stefano remains contracted to them next year. They’ve also doubled down in a way that if he plays two Origins this year, he must be at the Tigers as well,” Carayannis said.

So, if the Tigers fail to play finals, and the young prop doesn’t get picked for NSW, he’ll be able to head wherever he likes next season.

That would see other clubs willing to open up the chequebook to lure Utoikamanu, with offers around $1 million a season more than likely, due to a shortage of good prop forwards in the game.

“If he is off contract, he’ll be the most sought after player in the competition,” Carayannis said.

“He could get $900,000 now. A club would pay him that. If you look at the Dragons, the Bulldogs, they would pay him $900k. There are not a lot of middles and he is the best young prop in the game.”

Even if he remains at the Tigers, they’ll probably have to pay a pretty penny to retain Utoikamanu.

Haas, who is on $1.2m a year, Fonua-Blake ($1m) and Fisher-Harris ($950k) are proof why it’s so important for a team to boast a dominant metre-eater in the front row.

While he is yet to reach those heights, teams with salary cap space are going to have to be willing to pay top dollar, especially if he keeps on the upward trajectory he’s on..

Utoikamanu’s numbers this season are impressive. He leads all props with 24 tackle busts, six more than the next best player in that category (Fonua-Blake), on top of averaging 29 tackles and 112 running metres a game.

Tigerm

First Grade

Stefano Utoikamanu could be the game’s next $1 million prop

He has a fair way to go to reach the game’s top echelon of props, which includes Payne Haas, James Fisher-Harris and Addin Fonua-Blake, but Tigers young gun Stefano Utoikamanu is tracking towards that level.

Utoikamanu has been in outstanding touch to start the season, showing why the Blues handed him his debut Origin jersey last year.

”He’s been enormous. He’s been fantastic,” Matty Johns said on Fox League.

He’s arguably been the best Tiger so far this season and has rocketed back into contention for a Blues jersey.

Utoikamanu’s form has caught the attention of rival clubs, including the Penrith Panthers, who will bid farewell to star prop James Fisher-Harris at the end of this season.

While Utoikamanu is under contract with the Tigers for this year, he’s got an option for 2025 that activates if on one of two things occur, as The Daily Telegraph’s Michael Carayannis explained on NRL360.

“He’s got the strangest clause that we’ve seen. The Tigers have backed themselves in a way in that if they make the top eight, Stefano remains contracted to them next year. They’ve also doubled down in a way that if he plays two Origins this year, he must be at the Tigers as well,” Carayannis said.

So, if the Tigers fail to play finals, and the young prop doesn’t get picked for NSW, he’ll be able to head wherever he likes next season.

That would see other clubs willing to open up the chequebook to lure Utoikamanu, with offers around $1 million a season more than likely, due to a shortage of good prop forwards in the game.

“If he is off contract, he’ll be the most sought after player in the competition,” Carayannis said.

“He could get $900,000 now. A club would pay him that. If you look at the Dragons, the Bulldogs, they would pay him $900k. There are not a lot of middles and he is the best young prop in the game.”

Even if he remains at the Tigers, they’ll probably have to pay a pretty penny to retain Utoikamanu.

Haas, who is on $1.2m a year, Fonua-Blake ($1m) and Fisher-Harris ($950k) are proof why it’s so important for a team to boast a dominant metre-eater in the front row.

While he is yet to reach those heights, teams with salary cap space are going to have to be willing to pay top dollar, especially if he keeps on the upward trajectory he’s on..

Utoikamanu’s numbers this season are impressive. He leads all props with 24 tackle busts, six more than the next best player in that category (Fonua-Blake), on top of averaging 29 tackles and 112 running metres a game.
Anyone think he’s worth $1m?

Perth Tiger

Bench
Anyone think he’s worth $1m?
Potential wise yes. Current output level probably more around 750-800K

For him to go to a struggle team you would think they would have to offer a million like we normally have to but having these juniors normally results in them staying for a bit less than they get on the open market. So hopefully we can keep Stef at his current output market value rather than have to pay for his potential.

Tigerm

First Grade

Benji Marshall makes it clear that Stefano Utoikamanu is a major priority as rivals begin to circle​

“The fact of the matter is that he’s still on contract here next year. We all know there are clauses in his contract, but they can’t talk to him until November, so I’m not worried.
————————
So was Fisher-Harris?

WA Tiger

Bench
I thought Steff had to not play 2 more origins to be able to move on ..So he has to play 2 origins this year and if we make the 8 he stays.. ..I can see that panning out .Also that’s assuming he wants to leave if he gets the $$ he wants and we reach the 8..
Soon enough we will have Galvin and Stef vying for big money deals. Maybe Galvin a bit later than steff... Who knows he may make up another clause that if he’s captain he will stay. Don’t laugh. He won’t be captain at Penrith prob forever and that is a goal of his..You’d think Penrith would hold onto FH money for stef but then is that going to be sacrificing a 4th title. There’s very little wriggle room there..
God it’s too confusing..

Last edited:

Pezz70

Juniors
I reckon he’s worth a dollar, Haas runs rings around him so not as much as Haas, Fisher -Harris is a starchier scarier prop so probably not as much as him either, 750-850 is pretty fair

He’s probably our best forward (excluding Api) and he’s a player you can build around $1m a year is steep though, especially for a prop. If we do fork out for him I just hope it’s not a 5+ year contract. A couple of injuries can turn elite props into grade-A plodders.

Hopefully a decent season this year and a couple of good signings can convince him to hang around. The clause itself is bizarre though, shows the type of clown Pascoe was, you know Richo would never sign off on something so silly.

Perth Tiger

Bench
The way the cap is going pretty much every club in the next couple of years will have at least one player and more likely 2 or 3 getting a million a year. Stef and Galvin look like the 2 most likely that you would build a team around so they will be prime candidates to reach that level in a few years