What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stefano Utoikamanu

WA Tiger

Bench
The price for a prop has shot upwards only recently. The good ones are the bees knees and hard to find.. hence the increase

How much game time is Stef playing on average?

I think it's very hard to pay props $1 mil a year when most are only on the field for 40 to 50 mins a game.

I'd rather 2 very good wingers which you seem to be able to pick up at about $500k per year.

simmo1

First Grade
Stef has had a great start to the year, but he is not in the top 5 props in the game. Needs at least a full season of this form (probably more) to be in that category.

Nutz

Bench
Stef has had a great start to the year, but he is not in the top 5 props in the game. Needs at least a full season of this form (probably more) to be in that category.
What 5 props are better on form and has longevity?
I wouldn't include AFB in your list atm, lazy as.
The term prop is outdated and replaced with "middles"
There are three types of middles,
1. Work horses that can play in the middle and the edge [ball playing like your Cameron Murray's, Isaah Yeo and Joe Tapine.
2. Your old fashion hard yards man [Payne Haas, James Fisher-Harris]
3. Utility middle, someone who can take the strong carries, big, strong motor with the ability to play big minutes.
Imo you need a combination of all 3. The big boppers can take ages to mature....some as late as 30. Stef is capable of playing big minutes but not yet.
Remember it wasn't that long ago that he had a bad injury that hindered his progress.
He now has had an uninterrupted preseason and is starting to show his worth.
If he continues to put in the hard yards and good form I predict him being one of the best hard yards man in the NRL.

Last edited:

Nutz

Bench
AFB is better. So are Haas, Tino, Collins, Tapine, Papalii, Fisher-Harris, Leota to name a few. They have been leading their packs for years now, not just handful of games.
I just finished editing my post, have a read then I'll chat bro ;)

Nutz

Bench
AFB is better. So are Haas, Tino, Collins, Tapine, Papalii, Fisher-Harris, Leota to name a few. They have been leading their packs for years now, not just handful of games.
Out of that list only Fisher-Harris, Haas, Tino and Tapine make my list, but as I said Tapine isn't a battering ram...what type of fwd are you wanting, who is better and available?
Papalii and Collins are dinosaurs in the making.
Tohu Harris would have been in my team any day but he's not a battering ram and has busted knees.
Tino is that big minutes, big carries player that I'd consider but he ain't going nowhere.

Last edited:

WA Tiger

Bench
The way the cap is going pretty much every club in the next couple of years will have at least one player and more likely 2 or 3 getting a million a year. Stef and Galvin look like the 2 most likely that you would build a team around so they will be prime candidates to reach that level in a few years
Luai makes 3 ..Galvin may not hit the mill for 3-4 years tho depending..Stef may be happy with a bit less

WA Tiger

Bench
Luai makes 3 ..Galvin may not hit the mill for 3-4 years tho depending..Stef may be happy with a bit less
Although I’d guess 2 players as the max number on a million for a team even 1, depending on how many ADs and Sullivans are on the books

Nutz

Bench
The way the cap is going pretty much every club in the next couple of years will have at least one player and more likely 2 or 3 getting a million a year. Stef and Galvin look like the 2 most likely that you would build a team around so they will be prime candidates to reach that level in a few years
Galvin has resigned.
Atm he's on min wage of 150k increasing to 259k next year and 350k in 2026.
If he continues to play good footy he could demand 900k in the new contract.
It will be hinging on his effectiveness in playing with Luai.
If the Tigers fail miserably his demand may waver but if the two can deliver a finals berth then he could get a tasty contract.
Stef on the other hand could demand 1m if he can play SOO and continue playing top footy. I still reckon his best footy is yet to come, and so is a big contract.

Pezz70

Juniors
A prop is still a prop, backrowers are more athletic and locks are expected to be workhorses and skilful ball handlers, altogether they make the ‘middles’ but they still have elements of difference between their play. You don’t see too many props playing in the backrow (although you get the occasional backrower slipping into the front row). It’s a changing game though, every so often there’s some small innovation in the play and all added up they change the game

Pezz70

Juniors
Galvin has resigned.
Atm he's on min wage of 150k increasing to 259k next year and 350k in 2026.
If he continues to play good footy he could demand 900k in the new contract.
It will be hinging on his effectiveness in playing with Luai.
If the Tigers fail miserably his demand may waver but if the two can deliver a finals berth then he could get a tasty contract.
Stef on the other hand could demand 1m if he can play SOO and continue playing top footy. I still reckon his best footy is yet to come, and so is a big contract.
Re-signed, you scared me for a sec

This will definitely be a key early indication of his effectiveness. We need this to go our way. If he does to Penrith, Easts, or another top tier club, it just reinforces everyone's belief we're a feeder club playing first grade.

Wizardman

First Grade
The worst stint of Stefano's season has been his last three games. I think he was on track to be picked before then. If he fails against the Dogs pack, I think the book will be closed on him in regard to Origin selection.

Tigerm

First Grade
The worst stint of Stefano's season has been his last three games. I think he was on track to be picked before then. If he fails against the Dogs pack, I think the book will be closed on him in regard to Origin selection.
Agree, he has played against some of the best, with some looking to get a SOO gig and he has failed, his manager may try to blame the club, but he’s the one out there.
I just think he’s another couple of years away from that level of consistency required for that that role. I do think he could get there though.

Latest posts