What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stefano Utoikamanu

Wizardman

First Grade
Agree, he has played against some of the best, with some looking to get a SOO gig and he has failed, his manager may try to blame the club, but he’s the one out there.
I just think he’s another couple of years away from that level of consistency required for that that role. I do think he could get there though.
He has "late bloomer" written all over him as most props do. No question that he'll be a better player in three years than what he is now.

Tigerm

First Grade
I laugh at some pundits comparing him to Haas especially in speculating about his worth.We cant b paying him elite players money to keep him.Unlike Galvin he is dispensable.
Obviously don’t know what he’ll get, but it will be an increase on current deal for future potential, I think fair enough.

Perth Tiger

Bench
He has been poor since the panthers speculation has started. The game was there for him to take today, particularly when he came back on for his second stint and was barely sighted

WA Tiger

Bench
I saw Stefano’s fit of anger late in the game. Not sure what it was about it was between plays and likely a refs call that caused it. I thought that’s unusual but it looked great and he needs to be like that more . Must have been a one off.

Last edited:

Wizardman

First Grade
No club will pay him Haas money.

We are in a tough spot. If we offer the same as a team like Panthers for example, he will absolutely leave. We will have to offer overs...lets hope it is not waaaay over.

Prior to his last month, he played at a 700s pricetag. His last month....definitely lower than 700k.

Vic Mackey

Referee
You don’t want to lose Stef, purely because a club like us will struggle to attract someone of his quality again. However you also don’t pay through the roof for him. The top 5 props are pretty clear cut atm: JFH, AFB, Haas, Tino, Tapine. They’re worth $900-$1.1m or so. There’s a fair drop to the next lot which includes Stef.

I do think around $700k is about his value, you’d probably stretch a tad more if you had to to keep him. But when you’re staring to get to $800k or so I’d be willing to risk letting him go to market. If he wants that I’d prefer to throw say $400-$500k at a guy like Tom Hazelton.

Tigerm

First Grade
You don’t want to lose Stef, purely because a club like us will struggle to attract someone of his quality again. However you also don’t pay through the roof for him. The top 5 props are pretty clear cut atm: JFH, AFB, Haas, Tino, Tapine. They’re worth $900-$1.1m or so. There’s a fair drop to the next lot which includes Stef.

I do think around $700k is about his value, you’d probably stretch a tad more if you had to to keep him. But when you’re staring to get to $800k or so I’d be willing to risk letting him go to market. If he wants that I’d prefer to throw say $400-$500k at a guy like Tom Hazelton.
I guess our offer will reflect future potential, because while he’s a reasonable player, he’s not worth elite FR money, for me he goes missing too much.
But he’s still quite young for the position, and I do think he can develop into one of the good FR in a few more years.

WA Tiger

Bench
Stefano’s the same age as Haas and Tino..maybe he’s just not going to take the next step.All this adulation wouldn’t be helping him get there

Last edited:

Wizardman

First Grade
Stefano’s the same age as Haas and Tino..maybe he’s just not going to take the next step.All this adulation wouldn’t be helping him get there
He won't reach a Haas / Tino level.....but I do feel that he will step up levels as he matures.

DJDL

Bench

Seems about right to me, though I'd have $700 as the ceiling atm.
He may be worth more in time but, as of now, he's really not done anything over an extended period of time to suggest he's worth it.

That may change over the next few months, particularly if he is selected for Origin, but now? Nope.

Anywhere upwards of that is for rep players. And I don't mean one or two gamers. I mean guys who are consistently picked in rep teams. Until he's at that level there's no way I'd entertain paying him elite money.

I doubt Richo would allow it either.

Oh, and keep your hands off Tommy! :p

Vic Mackey

Referee

Find it surprising the Sharks havent locked him up, particularly they now have the Dale money. AFB, Uele, Rudolph, Kaufusi is already a good prop rotation. Would say either Tom or Royce Hunt are collateral damage.

DJDL

Bench
Find it surprising the Sharks havent locked him up, particularly they now have the Dale money. AFB, Uele, Rudolph, Kaufusi is already a good prop rotation. Would say either Tom or Royce Hunt are collateral damage.

Agreed, though I think they are working on Tommy.
Royce looks to be the odd man out to me. It’s a shame as he’s a beast when he’s at his best, but too many injury interruptions.

I hope you guys keep Stefano, but not at the risk of breaking the bank.

Tiger Ted

Bench
Seems about right to me, though I'd have $700 as the ceiling atm.
He may be worth more in time but, as of now, he's really not done anything over an extended period of time to suggest he's worth it.

That may change over the next few months, particularly if he is selected for Origin, but now? Nope.

Anywhere upwards of that is for rep players. And I don't mean one or two gamers. I mean guys who are consistently picked in rep teams. Until he's at that level there's no way I'd entertain paying him elite money.

I doubt Richo would allow it either.

U certainly dont have to worry about us luring Tommy away from the shire.We can’t compete with heavyweight clubs like the rorters & Penrith who are cashed up.Any half decent middle forward will command overs in this climate of scarcity of them being off contract.The dogs & dragons r also desperate to sign a decent middle forward & super coach will b looking for a replacement for Tom burgess.Hence it’s a great time for a middle forward to massively improve the balance sheet.

U certainly dont have to worry about us luring Tommy away from the shire.We can’t compete with heavyweight clubs like the rorters & Penrith who are cashed up.Any half decent middle forward will command overs in this climate of scarcity of them being off contract.The dogs & dragons r also desperate to sign a decent middle forward & super coach will b looking for a replacement for Tom burgess.Hence it’s a great time for a middle forward to massively improve the balance sheet.
He'll probably sign with the roosters on $400k a season.