What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stefano Utoikamanu

Tigerm

First Grade
Now that Fifita has reneged on rorters deal they will set their sights on Stefano
Not sure they will pay him big bucks for the output he currently delivers.
I think everyone will pay him for his potential, not sure how you work out how to cost that?

DJDL

Bench
That's just it isn't it....time!
The way I see it is the majority of top NRL props/middles don't reach their worth (have a positive influence on game results) until they've played 150 games and or been in the game for a long time.
Of course you have exceptions but this seems to be the norm.
Stef has the potential to be a marquee prop but it will take time. What's he played 60+ games? Another full season will see him edging 100 games and that's when we'll see the best of him imo.
Stef is surprisingly fast for a big man and I'd love to see him play big minutes rather than being an impact player...that can come later.
If a club throws the cheque book at him they may have to wait to get value for their buck.

I'm not saying he doesn't have potential, just that he hasn't realized it yet. Not even close, to be fair.

It does my head in players and player managers agitating for a pay day based on "potential".
Forget it.
Show me you're worth it, over an extended period of time, then we can talk.
Until then, you're on average wage.

Nutz

Bench
I'm not saying he doesn't have potential, just that he hasn't realized it yet. Not even close, to be fair.

It does my head in players and player managers agitating for a pay day based on "potential".
Forget it.
Show me you're worth it, over an extended period of time, then we can talk.
Until then, you're on average wage.
Yep that's right, unfortunately for us it doesn't always work that way, not to suit bottom dwellers anyway.
Sometimes clubs like Melbourne will grab a player with potential and put him on good coin for for short stint to fill gaps and if he produces then they'll keep him, fails and it's gonesky.
We tend to put someone on good coin hoping they'll come good and persevere year after year. Can you think of a $1mil player we kept for years, name starting with B?
Still, Props in the mould of Stef are worth risking imo.
Let's see what happens.

Tiger Ted

Bench
Not sure they will pay him big bucks for the output he currently delivers.
I think everyone will pay him for his potential, not sure how you work out how to cost that?
We have got a history of paying massive overs for under delivering under achieving mercenaries.The mkt place in which there’s a shortfall of NRL std players along with unscrupulous managers who wield way to much power is especially unfavourable to shit clubs like ours.Id rather fk Stefano off than pay him big overs as imo he’s over-rated & he seems to b motivated by extorting mega $ out of our shit club.This is a big test to see if Richo is as good as what he projects to be in wheeling & dealing.

Tiger Ted

Bench
Yep that's right, unfortunately for us it doesn't always work that way, not to suit bottom dwellers anyway.
Sometimes clubs like Melbourne will grab a player with potential and put him on good coin for for short stint to fill gaps and if he produces then they'll keep him, fails and it's gonesky.
We tend to put someone on good coin hoping they'll come good and persevere year after year. Can you think of a $1mil player we kept for years, name starting with B?
Still, Props in the mould of Stef are worth risking imo.
Let's see what happens.
The imbecilic one dimensional blues coach deserves through injuries to be forced to pick in nsw team the lemon he gifted an extended contract @ $1m/yr when he presided over the rabble.The fact the imbecile couldn’t see the glaringly obvious that the lemon couldn’t manage a chook raffle let alone an nrl team around the park is an indictment of the incompetence of the half witted blues coach.

Nutz

Bench
The imbecilic one dimensional blues coach deserves through injuries to be forced to pick in nsw team the lemon he gifted an extended contract @ $1m/yr when he presided over the rabble.The fact the imbecile couldn’t see the glaringly obvious that the lemon couldn’t manage a chook raffle let alone an nrl team around the park is an indictment of the incompetence of the half witted blues coach.
Off topic sorry....I had a thought the other day (geez it hurt) that both Qld and NSW SOO sides should be picked based on who's leading the DalyM's for each specific positions and state. Once selections are made the DalyM voting goes under wraps.
By doing this you reward players for good form rather than loyalty thus making the game a better std.
It certainly would help remove some of the political crap.
The downside is some players are picked to compliment each other and would restrict the coaches style....so forget everything I said. :)

Off topic sorry....I had a thought the other day (geez it hurt) that both Qld and NSW SOO sides should be picked based on who's leading the DalyM's for each specific positions and state. Once selections are made the DalyM voting goes under wraps.
By doing this you reward players for good form rather than loyalty thus making the game a better std.
It certainly would help remove some of the political crap.
The downside is some players are picked to compliment each other and would restrict the coaches style....so forget everything I said. :)
This could favour NSW. We need all the help the help we can get

Tiger05

First Grade

Crazyperpman

Juniors
He wants the big dog money but in reality he is a meter eater style prop.

Stef doesnt have the lateral movement or footwork of a Haas/Fonua Blake or the presence of Fisher Harris and his offload game is average.

In the current climate he will probably go to market and get more money, but I wouldn't get too upset as he is a tier two front rower and easily replaced.

Ned Kelly

Juniors
He wants the big dog money but in reality he is a meter eater style prop.

Stef doesnt have the lateral movement or footwork of a Haas/Fonua Blake or the presence of Fisher Harris and his offload game is average.

In the current climate he will probably go to market and get more money, but I wouldn't get too upset as he is a tier two front rower and easily replaced.
I agree. I won't be over excited if we sign him or distressed if we don't.

Tiger Ted

Bench
With a ruthless & savvy Richo at the helm I don’t expect we would get into a bidding war especially as the money we’ve offered is very generous for as Crazyperpman described & I totally agree with a dispensable tier 2 prop

I'd be happy to see him go. Ever since he started getting his name in the papers as someone who was about to get a big pay day his form has dropped off a cliff and straight into an abyss.

I think the offer we have made is more than generous. He should also remember who took a punt on him and has stuck by him, and given him opportunities over the last couple of years. Spoiler alert: it wasn't parra.

Wizardman

First Grade
I'd be happy to see him go. Ever since he started getting his name in the papers as someone who was about to get a big pay day his form has dropped off a cliff and straight into an abyss.

I think the offer we have made is more than generous. He should also remember who took a punt on him and has stuck by him, and given him opportunities over the last couple of years. Spoiler alert: it wasn't parra.
I'm of exactly the same view.

Our previous management gave him a contract that basically f**ked us with giving him incentives to NOT perform for us this year.

He had the look of a man that has checked out tonight.....but in reality, his form has checked out since the first month. Unless he truly wants to stay (which I have seen f**k all evidence of), then I prefer he goes as well. I don't want him playing like this on an elite contract with us.

I don't think we have to worry though. He is as good as gone next year.

simmo05

Bench
I'm of exactly the same view.

Our previous management gave him a contract that basically f**ked us with giving him incentives to NOT perform for us this year.

He had the look of a man that has checked out tonight.....but in reality, his form has checked out since the first month. Unless he truly wants to stay (which I have seen f**k all evidence of), then I prefer he goes as well. I don't want him playing like this on an elite contract with us.

I don't think we have to worry though. He is as good as gone next year.
800k for this plonker? They have got to be kidding

Tiger05

First Grade
Serious question: Based on last night, if Stefano thinks he's worth 800k p.a. what is Alex Twal worth?
A quarter the ability, four times the effort.

Twal was good. Much better than Stef. Our pack this year has been terrible. IP, Bateman, Stef and Klemmer have all over promised and under delivered. That would be costing us a fortune as well.

Twal, Seyfarth (his discipline is terrible though), Samuela and Pole have been as good or better than their higher paid leaders have been. Pole was terrible last night as well but overall he has been good.

Tiger Ted

Bench
Serious question: Based on last night, if Stefano thinks he's worth 800k p.a. what is Alex Twal worth?
Twal is a man of enormous integrity whereas Stephanie only gives a fk about robbing us.Fact is he will b at a stronger club next yr the ingrate should b relegated to NSW cup to teach him about gratitude & perspective

Nutz

Bench
Ggood poi
Good point. Stefano is not in the top 5-10 middles in the game so how in the heck is he wanting that sort of money whilst he is developing. He has a way to go before he reaches Haas or Fisher Harris status.
Having said that I'm an advocate of him and his potential so hopefully we retain him.