What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stephen Kearney new Warriors Coach

Cold Roses

Juniors
http://www.warriors.kiwi/news/2016/09/12/kearney_new_vodafone.html

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/league...y-named-warriors-head-coach-in-threeyear-deal

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/warriors-league-team/news/article.cfm?c_id=360&objectid=11708429

Vodafone Warriors managing director Jim Doyle last night confirmed long-serving Kiwi coach Stephen Kearney is returning to the club as its new head coach on a three-year deal.

The appointment headlines a major revamp of the club’s NRL coaching staff which sees current head coach Andrew McFadden remain as one of Kearney’s assistants, Vodafone Warriors legend Stacey Jones promoted to add further depth in a new role and another experienced international coach set to be signed to join the coaching team.

Kearney (44) will finish his assistant coach’s job with the Brisbane Broncos when their 2016 campaign ends to rejoin the club he made 79 appearances for as a foundation player from 1995-1998.

http://www.warriors.kiwi/news/2016/09/12/kearney_new_vodafone.html

Last edited:

Cold Roses

Juniors
"and another experienced international coach set to be signed to join the coaching team."

Just odd wording? Or to be taken as it reads, as in one more signing to be announced?

Dr Crane

Live Update Team
Oh shit. Okay.

I imagine Graeme Henry is the other addition.

Change is good. I hope this is intelligent change.

It's at least better...

When I posted that if Kearney wanted the job it was his (and that Cappy would stay as his assistant), it was 2 days after I heard it from about as solid a source as you can get.

So from early last week Cappy was always being demoted and Kearney was always the preferred candidate.

That's how much bullshit we were being fed about "the review"

JJ

Immortal
Well it's not McFadden, but not a great move IMO, but maybe it will work out, he's been mentored by the best and I trust is better now than when at the Eels where he did weird McFadden like shit

Strange that McFadden is staying on, would have thought new coach woul have his team

I think if you didn't believe that Kearney was coming the writing surely had to be on the wall for you yesterday when there were no additions made to the Kiwis Train-on squad

ozenzud

Juniors
Re: The warriors, the fact that McFadden is still there as an assistant will at least ensure some consistency and they don't go back and do the same shit trying to make it work when it doesn't at the Warriors. That will also at least ease the players consciences as it was their fault that Cappy lost his job.

Re: Surely Kearney will see out the Kiwis tour for the 4 nations? If not, NZRL again will look like a farce. He should have been preparing for this series for a year.

And it'll be advantageous to have a former kiwis coach and the new kiwis coach both at the club - both from a "keep working with the boys in the off season" and a future recruitment viewpoint

Re: The warriors, the fact that McFadden is still there as an assistant will at least ensure some consistency and they don't go back and do the same shit trying to make it work when it doesn't at the Warriors. That will also at least ease the players consciences as it was their fault that Cappy lost his job.

Re: Surely Kearney will see out the Kiwis tour for the 4 nations? If not, NZRL again will look like a farce. He should have been preparing for this series for a year.
No he's gone. Kidwell will take over today

Can you elaborate?

Are you saying Cappy will walk out and Kidwell will walk in?
Sorry im meaning Kearney is gone from the kiwis and wont be coaching them next month.

My understanding is that Kidwell will be the new Kiwis coach & a warriors assistant. Sorry for not being clearer.

Kearney head coach
Kidwell and cappy assistants, and Stacey Jones will be a special advisor. Pretty much an assistant coach for the halves.

Meth

Staff member
Right, so Kidwell and McFadden and Jones, kinda...too many Indians

Last edited:

Latest posts