What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Steve McNamara

JasonE

Bench
Bradford Bulls could well be strengthened by signing Ryan Brierley this week, if they do him and Gaskell will be an exciting partnership in the halves.

Harrigan

Juniors
This gets my goat.

Coaches develop, the same way players do. He showed a hell of a lot coaching England and made us look as good as I have ever seen us. Defensively sound and apart from the second test, cohesive in attack. We were a fingertip away from beating Aus in Melbourne and would have tied with the kiwis in Dunedin if we didn't have to go for it.

He's also had a couple of years leading under one of he best coaches in the business which will have helped him develop his techniques out of sight.

You're right though, he's the same coach that was poor at Bradford because he'd just come out of playing and didn't know too much at that time.

Remember Daryl Powell was once classed as a poor coach when he first took up a head coaching job at Leeds. Now most people rate him as the best British coach in the game...

Evil Homer

Staff member
This gets my goat.

Coaches develop, the same way players do. He showed a hell of a lot coaching England and made us look as good as I have ever seen us. Defensively sound and apart from the second test, cohesive in attack. We were a fingertip away from beating Aus in Melbourne and would have tied with the kiwis in Dunedin if we didn't have to go for it.

He's also had a couple of years leading under one of he best coaches in the business which will have helped him develop his techniques out of sight.

You're right though, he's the same coach that was poor at Bradford because he'd just come out of playing and didn't know too much at that time.

Remember Daryl Powell was once classed as a poor coach when he first took up a head coaching job at Leeds. Now most people rate him as the best British coach in the game...
He hasn't done a thing except provide a load of bluster and spin to try and justify his abject failures. Prior to the last series where he scraped home against a vastly understrength NZ team he had only won one match against either NZ or Australia in his entire 6 years in charge, and that was against an equally understrengh touring NZ team in 2011. He failed as England coach as badly if not worse than he did at Bradford. Although having said that he's still probably better than some of the laughable SL coaches like Cunningham and Radford.

BrisbaneRhino

Juniors
Given the actual strength of England, and not the mid-season imaginary sense that England are somehow just one or two players off being better than Australia, I'd say "abject failure" is utter bull. I'm with Harrigan, as IMO McNamara did a good job in general. Ignoring the fact that he's learning in the NRL whilst no other SL coach has had the nuts to try the same (particularly the high-profile ex players) speaks volumes about the biased abuse towards him.

The losses against NZ and Aus in recent times have been pretty narrow. Given the gulf in number of quality players, in what way are these "abject failures"? Swap England and Australia's halfbacks and the results would have been reversed, and then some. Sadly England doesn't have halfbacks of any note at all.