What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stewart, Watmough and Matai

veggiepatch1959

First Grade
Brett Stewart and Steve Matai played a part in Manly’s opening two tries at Jubilee Oval last night. Backrower Anthony Watmough was prominent as well. Not bad given the turmoil surrounding all three as they took the field against St George Illawarra.

Less than an hour before kick-off against the Dragons, reports emerged that all three had asked for releases from their respective contracts.

If they do want out — club officials said there had been no official request made — there were few signs of angst as they ripped into St George Illawarra in the opening half.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...win-over-dragons/story-fnca0von-1226996746869

Wow!! Where did all this emanate from?

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Matai has asked for a release a couple of times.

I doubt any of them will leave. There's not enough quality players available for Manly to replace them with so why release them when it doesn't appear to be hurting them on the field?

ManlyMania

Juniors
All great players and where there is smoke there's fire. Players have to understand that they have a use by date and they get paid handsomely up until they are needed. They can't be telling the club who to resign( Glenn) if the club don't think that player should get an extra deal.

If they want out let them go the club will always recover. They have been great servants so I won't bag them too harshly. If Brett gets injured again I think it's almost over for him although he has found some great form again,- watmough has had his day and as for Matai personally my favourite player who you just can't replace.

woodyk2

First Grade
It just went on the Sky News ticker at the bottom of the screen but didn't name them.

carcharias

Immortal
Watch my mob sign all three for outrageous periods of time on massive overs , only to see all 3 morph into broken old men within a year.

Still think Stewart and Matai have a couple of good seasons left in them, would hate for them to leave in this manner.

Watmough I could live with leaving, surprised he'd ask out of his contract with an apparent $900k on the table for him next season, but he's definitely the most replaceable out of the 3. The Manly halves could make half this board look like an nrl quality second rower.

None of the players directly involved seem to be squashing these rumours so I assume there's a lot of truth to it, but it's hard to see them being granted releases. This would only be really bad in the long term for Manly if they lose these 3 and then DCE signs somewhere else.

oikee

Juniors
Half the time sit on the sidelines with injuries.
Any club who signs any Manly players have rocks in their heads. The only Manly player who is worth signing is Cherry Evans.
He is worth 5 million.
Not one club has won a premiership with ex-manly players, London Broncos have folded and they bought a few Manly rejects.

Was just listening to the Manly CEO on Big Sports Breakfast.

He stated that the only one who had asked for a release either formally or informally was Matai and that it was only a quick informal discussion.

Matai was told that he has a year to run on his contract and that he is in Manly's plans for next year and further into the future so the informal request was denied. Manly have already started discussions to extend him.

As for the other two, no request has been made.

So if you can believe a club CEO, it's all just paper talk.

Keffola

Juniors
I don't understand how Watmough could be the one asking for a release when earlier in the year the papers were reporting his "heavily backended contract" was part of the salary cap squeeze at Manly?

Why would he ask for a release from his contract just when he's about to hit his pay day?

Patorick

Staff member
Remember last year when Jamie Lyon was said to be asking for a release to go to the Gold Coast?

Buzzfield was all over it. James Phelps too.

Anyone?

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Remember last year when Jamie Lyon was said to be asking for a release to go to the Gold Coast?

Buzzfield was all over it. James Phelps too.

Anyone?

Two fatties on their books, that wouldn't have been good.

Amazing that club instability, whether it be in their playing ranks or at board/admin level, never seems to affect the Sea Eagles on game day.

Patorick

Staff member
Regardless, this stuff should all be kept in-house.

Whether it's factual or otherwise.

Zorba's legacy, every single drop of drama makes the press, no matter what.

johns_reds

First Grade
I don't understand how Watmough could be the one asking for a release when earlier in the year the papers were reporting his "heavily backended contract" was part of the salary cap squeeze at Manly?

Why would he ask for a release from his contract just when he's about to hit his pay day?

Probably a club insider leaking false info in the hope someone will offer watmough a contract and then manly wouldn't have to pay him in th last season.

BranVan3000

Coach
Manly would release Choc in a heartbeat, as good as he is if he is asking to be let out of a 900k contract then they would be dumb to deny him. Even if it hurt them in the short term

BunniesMan

Immortal
They are still sooking about Glenn Stewart.

They took unders for years to stay at Manly. They didn't stay for the club. They didn't stay for the world class board members(lol). Or the small crowds or the relatively small budget the club runs on. They stayed for each other. And now that bond has cracked.

Patorick

Staff member
They are still sooking about Glenn Stewart.

They took unders for years to stay at Manly. They didn't stay for the club. They didn't stay for the world class board members(lol). Or the small crowds or the relatively small budget the club runs on. They stayed for each other. And now that bond has cracked.
No kidding...

Keffola

Juniors
I hope Glen can still perform well, but without his combination with lyon outside him, I'm not so sure he's going to be effective for the bunnies.

Especially with the increase in injuries he's been picking up.