What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

still hate.....

yy_cheng

Coach
That's one thing I could not cop.

Anyone who argues for Burt to the wing loses me I'm afraid.

I think Hayne is arguably the better fullback than Burt.

But the difference at wing or centre is 1000 times in Hayne's favour.

That's why the switch will not happen. Burt fullback and Hayne wing / centre results in a far better team than Hayne fullback Burt wing.

I don;t think a winger's role is "support play" in the modern game. It is dummy half runs and metre gain as the main priority, finishing tries and scoring / diffusing bombs. None of those are Burt's strength.

His strengths are his kicking game, his orgnisation of the defensive structure, his positioning on kicks, supporting the ball up the middle, and chasing short kicks in attack, and second man ball skills. None of which he would really get to use on the wing - and didn't in the several years before going to the back.

I think it is all based on team balance.

With Timmy gorn, the long clearing kicks must come from Burt. I'm not sure about Hayne regarding his kicking ability but he did train with some AFL team pre-season and he should have the natural ability to kick.

However, the toss up for mine is:

1. Burt
2. Grothe
3. Hayne
4. Inu
5. Reddy

or

1. Hayne
2. Grothe
3. Benny
4. Inu
5. Reddy

Is Burt at FB and Hayne at Centre more valuable to us than Hayne at FB and Benny in the centres.

On 2005 form, the Benny and Grothe combo was awesome.
On 2007 form, it was so so.

At this point in time, I'd take the team with Burt at FB until someone in the centres (t. williams, etc) steps up.

eels_fan_01

Bench
correct me if im wrong, but you were in the same position regarding tim smith, wanting him to play like joey or thurston and when he didnt you criticised him

Fine, your wrong.

When did i ever say i wanted him to be a Joey or Thurston. All i wanted him to do was play a good f**king game for once.

Eelmatta

I'm not sure how anyone could not like someone who scores over 1000 points for the club he's fine a FB for now!

HevyDevy

Coach
It's not that he's not liked, just that there are better options already at the club for the No.1 jersey

The Engineers Room

First Grade
It's not that he's not liked, just that there are better options already at the club for the No.1 jersey

I disagree. Hayne didn't show enough to prove to me he is a better fullback last year. If anything what last year proved was Burt was vital to our attack and when he got injured we really struggled to capitalise on opportunities.

Eels Dude

Coach
I disagree. Hayne didn't show enough to prove to me he is a better fullback last year. If anything what last year proved was Burt was vital to our attack and when he got injured we really struggled to capitalise on opportunities.

Burt was in exceptional form last year, form he'd never produced before but hasn't since. Hopefully he can recapture his early '07 form but it's hard to tell. Hayne did well with limited oppurtunities in the number 1 jersey. He'd only improve.

lucablight

First Grade

Did you watch the game against the Broncos? The one where we scored 68 points. With Hayne at fullback.