What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stop the Rot campaign.....

Swampdonkey

Juniors
Living in Brisbane, I only get to go to a few Tigers at Leichhardt each year, yesterday being my second. After arriving at about 10.45am I noted the volunteers moving around the hill getting signatures for the Stop the Rot campaign. When the person approached the group of Souths supporters next to the scoreboard, he copped a blasting from the Rabbits fans saying why should they help us, we sold out on them etc etc.....

Is this a normal reaction, or is it just that some South Sydney supporters think the world owes them something?

I hope that the majority of the rugby league public have more of an attitude to help each other out for the good of the game rather than the attitude of its your problem, deal with it.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I think the South Sydney supporters will find that the people they are hurting by not trying to help by signing the STR campaign are the same traditionalists who would not have wanted to see the Rabbits fold in the first place. From what I understand the STR campaign has little to do with the football clubs that made the decisions to merge and not continue the single entity fight that many of the South Sydney supporters disagree with.

If I am off the mark, please let me know, but that is my understanding of things.
Being a fan of the more traditional things in rugby league, I would be more than happy to sign 100 petitions for Souths to move back to Redfern, because I am sure that many of the Souths fans would miss playing there in much the same way that we would hate to see the Tigers leave Leichhardt.....

Anyways, congratulations to all the people working hard on the STR campaign, it is a credit to see such a huge effort being made towards a cause that is so important to alot of people.

hybrid_tiger

Coach
Alot of Rabbitohs fans think that their team is gods gift to football and that they are owed something by all opposition supporters.

This attitude is pathetic and looking at the ladder from the past few years, Souths are owed NOTHING from anyone.

Personally any Souths fan who doesnt sign the petition for that reason is only holding back their own club - arent they the ones who want to move back to Redfern Oval? :roll:

RifRaf

Juniors
I heard about that from the lads, apparently they later came round and did end up signing...

Bald Tiger

Juniors
Its true that one group of Souths fans were very reluctant to sign and refused initially. Having said that the South fans coming through the gate on to the Hill were very supportive and happy to sign. Many said that there were similarities between Leichahrdt and Redfern. We now have more than 9500 signatures on the petition.

B_Tiger

Juniors
most souths fans were really supportive. The guys on the hill who refused initially were influenced by one loud mouth voicing his opinion. He claimed that because the balmain board did not back souths, he would refuse to sign the petition. Firstly, the dude had delusions of grandeur, as he was only signing a petition, and secondly the stop the rot campaign is backed by fans, not the balmain board. I agree that STR is about encouraging the preservation of tradition in the game, and as you say, that's something souths fans should (and do) support. That guy was just an ignorant wanker with too much interest in his own opinion. But, that was the only guy all day who didn't want to sign it.

B_Tiger

Juniors
I don't know. He was an old guy with a jumbo sized souths jersey and a massive gut. Seemed a bit sluggish to me.

Tigerpete

Juniors
Another win for the stop the rot group yesterday in my opinion, Barring the Melbourne game its been proven why we cant lose this ground. It seems no matter the onconveniences that the ground holds people still come.....great to see!

Kid

Juniors
Went out there yesterday with my uncle whos always been a mad Bunnies supporter, he had no probs signing it but asked would we do the same for Redfern, my reply was a lot of the league community had already done Souths a favour by marching in the streets. Quick as a flash pen was put to paper. ;-)

Sincas

Juniors
Souths fans were ok generally. The Burrow may not have been too accomodating. Jason Moodie's nephew volunteered (he was about 10 i reckon) and they turned the poor kid away and vented their anger at us not helping them..

anyway we are now up over 9500!

Good to meet a few more of you yesterday. Swampdonkey, were you in the group that hung out with tigergran?